Skip to main content

Just got back from my second competition with my FE100. I used the recipe for chicken in the cookbook that comes with the FE. My first competition in February I took 2nd place, missing first by 1 point. This weekend I took 1st in Chicken and Second in Brisket. 3rd place overall missing GC by 6 points. I love my FE100. I just need a little help with my Pork Butt not. Thanks Cookshack.

Dan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK, Ok, I will spill my guts here and now.

1. Trim the thighs for turn in as soon after meat inspection as you can.
2. Soak or marinade the thighs in Italian Dressing overnight.
3. Chicken turn in is at noon on Sundays, I will take my thighs out and put them on the rack; tucking the skin under the meat. This tends to help the skin from shrinking away from the meat.Sprinkle a nice even coat of your rub over the chicken.
4. Place chicken in the FE100 on the low rack at the 375 degree setting at 11 am.
5. Spritz the chicken every 10 minutes or so with apple juice.
6. Pull the chicken off when it reaches 175 degrees and paint a light coat of BBQ sauce over it.Spritz again with light coat of apple juice.
7. Try to turn in 6 or more thighs that are all the same size and shape if you can. This tends to help I noticed.

Ok, there is my secret recipe for my last two outings with chicken. How about someone helping me with my pork butts.

Dan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.