Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The smoke mode on a Traeger is usually at a cooking temp of 140*F. I have the Traeger controller on my pre-ramp FE 100 and when I set it to Smoke, it would run about 140.

As to how many chicken quarters, I can't help you there. Ask me about pork butts or ribs and I have you covered. I will say one thing. Be careful how hot you cook them as they do put off a lot of fat. Make the FEC is level and draining the grease well.

Come back and tell us how many you get on there.
On the leg quarters, you can easily get 10-12 per rack depending on the size of the leg quarters. That would be about 40 lbs.

I did that much on three racks once, but it crowded the edges of the racks to much, and the grease missing the drip slide caused a fire. It burnt out the bottom door gasket, but the chicken came out fine.

I didn't even know I'd had a fire until after it was out.
Depends on which controller you order.

If you order the FE without the IQ (do they still sell them that way???) you get the same exact traeger controller.

The smoke setting is a timed event, so the temp will vary based on the BTU of the wood as well as the external temp (air coming in when you open the door or via the vent)

On the IQ, you can set a lower temp, but for me, unless it's winter, the smoke setting can be from 160 (winter) to 210 (summer)
quote:
Originally posted by The Smoke Pitt:
... If thats the case why would anyone run traeger controller?

Cost, the IQ's are more expensive.

One my FE in the back yard, however, I have the traeger and I don't get HUGE temp swings, because the FE's have better insulation than the Traeger's do.
well, it sounds to me like i should be able to fine tune the smoke flavor to my liking with a little work by wood types and temperature.

just curios if anybody does tri tip on these things, and if any ideas on how much could be cooked per day(say 12 hrs)currently takes about 3 hrs on my traeger 150 for a batch of about 10 2.25 lb tri tip

thanks everybody for all the input so far
Tritips are pretty much a California thing,and can be pretty hard to find,other places.

That said,we did a cooking class with Ribdog on typical Ca Q and taught the class on them,pinquito beans,salsa,garlic bread etc,.

Since they are typically grilled,and weigh about 3 lbs,and are cooked to about 130º-135º,they don't take long.

If you could put a half dozen on a rack,four racks,maybe an hr to cook,maybe 250-275 tritips?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.