Skip to main content

Picked up two racks of ribs this morning. Huge racks off of hogzilla, 14 pounds total for both!. Rubbed them down with some mccormick sweet and smokey, foiled them and put them in fridge till 2pm. At 2pm, I put them in, one per rack in racks 2 and 4 of my seven rack system (closest to top) uncovered. Set the temp for 180 for one hour and then hold temp for 260. I used the FE pellets that cam with the Smoker. Also put six bakers in foil on the bottom most rack next to the drip shield. Shut the door, pushed start and didn't return till 530, when I flipped the ribs, and hit them with some sauce on the bottom. Ten miniutes later, I flipped them back over bone down and did the top. I also inserted a dish of Mac and CHeese. About 615pm I took everything out. Best looking ribs I've ever seen (pic) They would have sold on appearance alone. My last cooker was an AQ. I only did spares once on the AQ, on the rib racks and the were a soggy mess- all deformed and bent into an awful unattractive shape. The FEC ribs were a work of art and tasted great. I either had a smoke ring or my rub sure soaked in a ways. I little hard crust on the outside too. Very Juicy on the inside. Bakers and Mac n Cheese were good too. Anyway, here's the pic.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Photo_Album
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Now the fun begins. Go for lower and slow and see how it works.

FYI, not that it matters, but I agree with FE on ribs and I do mine at 275 for about 4 hours (St. Louis spares), won a bunch of ribbons with that method.

Confused now?

Ha, have fun, experiment and tell us how it goes.

Russ
The four hr. cook you read about was probably referring to St. Louis Spares, which normally weigh in at 3 lbs. +/-. Full racks usually average 4-5 lbs. In your case, 4+ hrs. for 7 lb. racks just wasn't enough time. While I've never smoked racks that large before, I'm guessing they'd require 6+ hrs using the methods you described.

One test for doneness a lot of us use is the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick in-between the 6th & 7th bone, top to bottom in the middle of the meat. If it slides in and out with ease, your ribs are ready.

Depending on the smoker and the weight of the rib rack...and temp I'm cooking at..I'll start tooth picking 30 minutes prior to when I assume they'll be ready, and every 15 minutes thereafter. Mind you, this is with an FEC100. An electric CS smoker doesn't want to have the door opened every 15 minutes so I scale it back.

Just curious as to your comment as to the "soggy mess" via your Amerique...could you clarify please?
Ribs are never done on time. best thing I can recommend is weigh your racks. My trimmed St. Louis are usually within a 1/4 pd of each other.

but a 3lb or a 4.5 lb spare will have totally different durations for doneness.

Learn the toothpick test for ribs. I was the first to teach it and it will help improve your rib consistency.

Also, I don't like rib racks, you can get some weird shapes (but they eat the same) so I just lay them down in any cooker I use.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.