Skip to main content

Taking the advice of the forum I chose a 7.75# PB for my first smoke in my freshly seasoned SM025.

I made up a batch of JJ's Rub and rubbed the PB and put the it on the top rack in the CS at 10pm with a 2.4oz chunk of hickory and set the temp at 225 and went to bed. The outside temp was in the high 60s with a light mist (a very humid night). Additional information: I installed my SM025 in a 20cf garden shed like JohnH http://archeryproshop.com/smoker/index.htm

At 11am the next day I opened the smoker door for the first time when the probe read 195*. The PB was cooked perfectly (for my liking), had some bark, nice and moist inside (but not mushy), and pulled easily.

However, I noticed no smoke flavor at all. My wife said here was a slight hint of smoke in places, but I didn't get any smoke taste at all. And no smoke aroma at all.

What's up with that? Has anyone had a smiliar experience?

The wood chunk was reduced to mostly ash with a little charcoal remaining.

SmokinMAINEiac
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by bubbasz1:
My self personally really load the smoker up when I do a brisket or Butt. It's not unusual for me to burn up 10 to 12 OZ of wood. I have yet to over smoke anything and your just not going to get a smoke flavor all the way through a Butt.

Bubba,

Your wood load makes sense to me given my limited experience smoking with my first smoker.

How much wood do others use for an approximately 8# PB?

Thanks,

SmokinMAINEiac
Our advice is to stay with less wood and you can add more.

We've had plenty of post just the opposite of yours "... how come my xxxx taste like an ashtray..." it's too much wood.

Wood is a PERSONAL preference, if you think it needs more, it needs more.

But, don't overdo it. It doesn't use wood for cooking only flavoring and many people seem to put more wood in because they're thinking it is for cooking.

Also, you didn't say what flavor of wood, but the wood type can vary. Stop by the "wood" forum and there are discussions about type.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Our advice is to stay with less wood and you can add more.

We've had plenty of post just the opposite of yours "... how come my xxxx taste like an ashtray..." it's too much wood.

Wood is a PERSONAL preference, if you think it needs more, it needs more.

But, don't overdo it. It doesn't use wood for cooking only flavoring and many people seem to put more wood in because they're thinking it is for cooking.

Also, you didn't say what flavor of wood, but the wood type can vary. Stop by the "wood" forum and there are discussions about type.

Smokin',

I've used an electric smoker before. I know the wood is for flavoring, not for cooking Wink

I did mention in my post that I was using hickory. I have experience with several types of wood. My favorite lately for chicken is a mix of pecan and cherry.

I'm just confused that the instructions say use so litle wood for so much food. Maybe the smoker needs less wood for flavoring as it continues to season?

I will try another butt with 4 oz of wood and see how that goes. Then ramp up to 6 oz if that is not enough.

SmokinMAINEiac
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinMAINEiac:
I'm just confused that the instructions say use so litle wood for so much food.

SmokinMAINEiac

Keep in mind, those instructions are generalized for the group of owners as a whole. In reality, that's plenty of wood for most people.

But...

Do exactly what you're doing, adjust it for your flavors.

And Max is right, there are other variables in the wood itself, but overall each load/box/whatever of the wood should be basically the same.
[/QUOTE]there are other variables in the wood itself, but overall each load/box/whatever of the wood should be basically the same.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed that the same type of wood from different vendors has more or less flavor, and it even varies within a single shipment.

My second smoke was ribs, but I forgot to poke a hole in the foil (rookie mistake) Red Face

My thrid smoke was two whole fryer-sized chickens with 3oz of apple using Basic Brine #3. WOW! I mean, WOW! Best chicken I ever had, ever. PERIOD.

Right now I have four turkey thighs, marinated overnight in Italian dressing, smoking with 3oz of native red oak.

SmokinMAINEiac

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.