Skip to main content

Does the insulation of the PG1000 create a more humid environment than the PG500?

For example, do ribs come out different in the PG500 vs PG1000? How do FEC100 ribs compare?

I've had an FEC100 for the past 12 years, and that is my benchmark.

I'm thinking about adding a FEPG for reverse searing and other everyday cooking. That will also include ribs, butts, brisket etc. if the result compares well to the FEC100.

If the insulation results in a moister product, the cost of the PG1000 is worth it to me. If not, pellet comsumption and time to come to temperature don't matter as much, and I would get the PG500.

Thanks for thinking about this one.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It will be interesting to hear other opinions to this one.

I owned a FEC100 for several years and replaced it 15 months ago with a PG1000.
I made the change because I wanted the ability to sear and the FEC100 was a bit of an overkill for a single rack of ribs.

I cannot see much if any difference with what I've smoked (briskets, buts and ribs) between the two units. As to chickens I tend to spatchcock and grill them (as it is the only way my wife will eat them)and they are wonderful on the PG1000 as any item I might grill.

I find the PG1000 comes to temp very quickly and is easy on pellet consumption although the FEC100 didn't use many pellets cooking one item at a time.
I have a FEC100 and FEPG1000. I can't speak to humidity FEPG1000 vs FEPG500. My guess is the difference is not appreciable.

The PG is great for steaks and good for smoking. If you're used to the FEC then you will need to learn to flip halfway through your cook with the PG. When cooking in zone 4 from the top down, the bottom stays "cool". Flipping evens things out.
quote:
For example, do ribs come out different in the PG500 vs PG1000? How do FEC100 ribs compare?

The ribs off the PG500 is twice the product as what comes off the FEC100,in my humble opinion. The constant speed fan causes a better build of bark.

I would guess the PG500 would have a less humid cook, since it requires more pellets to keep the same temp heat....more pellets would be more smoke flavor though!
Last edited by cal 2
I own both a FEC100 (5-years) and a PG500 (3-years). Cal might have a point about the PG500 being a little less humid due to its higher pellet consumption, but I think the outside air humidity amount (say 25% vs 85% humidity for example) would be of a greater factor. Also a bigger load of food in the smoker always produces a moister environment, although the pellet grills are limited as to the amount it will hold. Good luck on your decision.

I use my PG500 for small "everyday" cooks. For long, overnight cooks or big-load cooks I use my FEC100. I don't notice much difference between the two as far as the finished product goes - both produce great food!! I bought the PG500 as I liked the looks of it better and it cost less. It uses more pellets than the PG1000 does. I guess someone could always figure out what the pellet-usage-cost vs units cost pay-back period would be, but I'm not that person. I just like smoking food and then enjoying it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.