Skip to main content

Hey guys (and gals),

I'd been trolling these for a bit before I bought a 008 from Cabella's over the weekend of the forth. I've now used it a couple times (after seasoning it) with pretty good results, but had a few concerns.

First, sometimes, out of the blue, a gust of smoke will shoot out of the hole in the top with a decent amount of force. I'm not quite sure why this is happening. Most of the time it is a very small trickle of smoke escaping, but twice I've been out there when it just shot out like a guieser. Is that normal? Can anyone explain what's going on just then?

Second, there seems to be more smoke seaping out from around the door than there should be. It's only only on the hinge side of the door and I'd estimate about as much comes out there than through the hole on the top.

Now I did have to get the floor model from Cabella's, would that have anything to do with either symptom or would you consider it normal.

Thanks so much for putting together a great community here! I've really enjoyed it so far.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good news tswarm, it all sounds normal !!!

It will get better as the smoker gets seasoned well which can take several months to even years, depending on how much you use it. Big old fatty butts and shoulders will season it up right.

The 'big bang theory' has something to do with humidity, wood, heat, combustion, etc. I haven't noticed mine has done that in a couple years. Symptom of a new Smokette and completely normal.

Congrats, and welcome to the forum !

Cool
Glad you're getting some answers:

quote:
First, sometimes, out of the blue, a gust of smoke will shoot out of the hole in the top with a decent amount of force. I'm not quite sure why this is happening. Most of the time it is a very small trickle of smoke escaping, but twice I've been out there when it just shot out like a guieser. Is that normal? Can anyone explain what's going on just then?

Also known as the Big Bang Theory (not to be confused with how the universe was created, although I DO think BBQ is more important)

Bang Search

quote:
Second, there seems to be more smoke seaping out from around the door than there should be. It's only only on the hinge side of the door and I'd estimate about as much comes out there than through the hole on the top.

All normal. Regardless of whether it forever seals around the door, a little seapage will NEVER impact the cooking itself. There's lots of smoke going on inside.

Here's Stuart's reply from a few years ago:

quote:
Joey,

The unit leaking a smoke at the top of the door will not cause any problems. Normally the units seal after a few uses. However, a small percentage never seal completely. It is really a cosmetic issue and will not effect the way the unit operates. We are happy to trade you units if it is causing you a problem, just give me a call.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.