Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Actually I've had a Bradley for 4 years and done a decent amount of smoking (lots of ribs, butts, and brisket) but man that thing cranked out the smoke. Just wanted to make sure it was doing the right thing. Thing is NICE!!! Got a PB for tomorrow. Thanks for the insight!! Love this forum. Very helpful folks!!!
Your welcome, from all the forum I guess?lol.

These things are so efficient with the 850* insulation that unless you have some meat in them they don't overly smoke and believe me thats a good thing.

The seasoning takes care the moisture and residue that was left from the manufacturing process. Don't be alarmed if you see a little smoke later coming from the corners of the smoker, that's normal also, mine after a fewwww smokes have about quit.
Since your smoker is new, Butcher and Packer new Smiler, after it cools down check to see if the burner is touching the firebox when you load it in the smoker. If it's not bend up the burner so the fire box just rests on the burner. Almost all of us have done this even my buddy Cal, also put your wood what would be over the burner so when it heats up it is directly above the heat source.
I was wondering what was for dinner tomorrow, I'll just smell the smoke and find my way.
Ha!! Good luck on the first smoke, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Jj,

It is very hot in much of the country right now, and with the excellent CS insulation there may not be much call for the element to turn on. Cookshacks really hold their heat.

Like Bubba says, gently bend that element up so it touches the wood box.

After a few smokes the hot spots in your woodbox will become evident due to coloration from the heat from the element. Put your larger wood chunks on the hot spots.

I'm smoking a chuckie tomorrow and I intend to use the smallest chunks I have.

SmokinMAINEiac
hmm. Me thinks this is why FAQ's are so prevelant in forums.

Jjliver: The smoker is fine - it takes a little time to learn to use it.

1)The full sized chunks (like supplied in CS sample box) take a higher heat and a load of meat to ash up nice. For temps below 225* try splitting down the chunks a little until you find the right size. Cal is right - they may or may not fully ash - doesn't mean things aren't working.

2) Learn the hot spots in your wood box. Most are over the element loops in the front and center. After you use it a while these spots will darken first.

3)Examine the clearance between the element and the woodbox. You can use care to bend it slightly if needed to create a slight even contact (no problem - think of a fry pan on your oven element. A little contact works better there huh? lol)

4) The wood must be dry. If all fails try a different batch

5) After you use a CS a while it gets easier to make smoke. I made no visible smoke at 200* for a while. Now I make plenty at 180* or so.

6) Once you reach setpoint the white visible smoke will soon diminish - but a nice clean clear fragrant wisp should continue for quite sometime. The sooner you reach setpoint, the sooner the element stops working hard and wood ash results will diminish. Adapt to this by including thinner pieces for lo set-point cooks.

7)To really season the smoker don't be afaid to exceed the 200* recommendation. Split 2 or 3 pieces of the wood(1/3 to 1/4" thick), place them up front over the elements, set to 250* or so and let it rip. It that doesn't make smoke...
Me thinks...that your post redoak should be right beside the the words,"PROPER WAY TO SEASON THE SMOKER" and a good place would be in the owners manual...but what do I know.

Jj,it has been hot,muggy with high humidity, so I'd lay that wood that came with your smoker in a nice place to dry for a few days.It won't hurt.
quote:
Originally posted by redoakNC:
hmm. Me thinks this is why FAQ's are so prevelant in forums.

Jjliver: The smoker is fine - it takes a little time to learn to use it.

1)The full sized chunks (like supplied in CS sample box) take a higher heat and a load of meat to ash up nice. For temps below 225* try splitting down the chunks a little until you find the right size. Cal is right - they may or may not fully ash - doesn't mean things aren't working.

2) Learn the hot spots in your wood box. Most are over the element loops in the front and center. After you use it a while these spots will darken first.

3)Examine the clearance between the element and the woodbox. You can use care to bend it slightly if needed to create a slight even contact (no problem - think of a fry pan on your oven element. A little contact works better there huh? lol)

4) The wood must be dry. If all fails try a different batch

5) After you use a CS a while it gets easier to make smoke. I made no visible smoke at 200* for a while. Now I make plenty at 180* or so.

6) Once you reach setpoint the white visible smoke will soon diminish - but a nice clean clear fragrant wisp should continue for quite sometime. The sooner you reach setpoint, the sooner the element stops working hard and wood ash results will diminish. Adapt to this by including thinner pieces for lo set-point cooks.

7)To really season the smoker don't be afaid to exceed the 200* recommendation. Split 2 or 3 pieces of the wood(1/3 to 1/4" thick), place them up front over the elements, set to 250* or so and let it rip. It that doesn't make smoke...

Please visit our FAQ to add them if they're not already there.

EVERYONE. If you read the FAQ and see something that needs to be there, add it. It's up to the owners to help grow that list

Lessons for new owners (top of the Open Forum)
First of all thanks again for all the help with seasoning this bugger. Please be patient with my noobness. Well, I bent the element up a bit and have been getting some serious smoke. It's hot as heck up here in MI and at my most recent temp check it was over 300(have it set at 200)!! After looking inside it is getting pretty black in there (on the walls of the box) with what looks like some "dripping" on the door. Is it possible to "over-season" so quickly?
The 025 has a automatic on for 20 minutes on start up whether you have reached your set temp or not. If you have her set for 200 and it's only been on for 10 minutes it's going to keep raising the temp until it hits it's 20 minutes, that is to get the wood smoking. 300 seems a bit high I don't think mine has ever got that high on a start of a cook but if you by chance shut it off and restart it, it will do the same 20 minute heat up as if it was cold.
In the end I wouldn't worry just yet. Get that smoker filled with some meat and the temp should control itself better than when empty, and you will also find the more it gets seasoned for some reason it holds it's temps better. It just likes to get used I think.
If by chance you still have a problem check your temp with another thermometer and if it's still not right call service, they will make it right in quick fashion.
quote:
Originally posted by Jjliver:After looking inside it is getting pretty black in there (on the walls of the box) with what looks like some "dripping" on the door. Is it possible to "over-season" so quickly?
Man that was a quick turn around! lol I think it' time to cook something Cool
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
I was hoping to get him to do a little reading, somehow , I gotta feeling that some of Smokin's 101s might be a good thing to read, even for some of the old wil'y cooks.

By the way, I wasn't green...I was GREEEEEEEEEEEN! LOL

Amen, I think I would have rated myself as a twig, not even a tree, let alone green. Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.