Skip to main content

My dad loved my PG-500 so much he decided to buy one this month. It arrives in a few weeks. He lives in Washington state so he will have lot's of opportunities to hot/cold smoke salmon. He also likes my almonds and cheese, but I use my SM025 for that.

I know the PG-500 has a "cold smoking/warming drawer". Has anyone used it for cold smoking? I am going up for a visit in February and would love to show him cold smoking. I just have no experience with that on the PG-500. My guess is to run it as low as possible, maybe 200 degrees and to monitor the temp in the cold smoke drawer. Maybe place a tray of ice in Zone 4.

Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The temp in the drawer, because of the way it's on the bottom very much depends on the ambient temperature as much as the temperature you set the FEPG.

Take a temp probe and monitor the temp and given this time of year, you'll be able to cold smoke pretty well with it set at 200°. You can even go a little lower like 180 and play with the LHT/HHT if you like doing that and you can teach him how to do that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.