Skip to main content

So it finaly arrived, after much drama with UPS. The end result. A cute little young lady tossed the 90 pd package in the back of her pickup and delivered it herself. The box was damaged all to hell but the smoker was unharmed. Here are some pictures of the smoker and a few misc. other things I got going on.

It's Seasoning! Visable smoke at around 220 degrees.

One of the packages of PB from CostCo.

Lawrys SS and the Rib Rub that came with the smoker.

Ahhh relaxing with a beer waiting for the seasoning of the smoker to finish and for midnight so I can put the PB's in.

Loaded and ready to go! Both bigger ones on the bottom fat side down and the two smaller ones on top.

7 hours in @ 225 and at 175 degrees.

Pulling after 13 hours in the smoker and 3 hours in FTC. I only left it in there that long because dinner was at 5:30pm. Meat was still hot!!

Added Smokin's mop sauce as a finisher.

The plate! The finishing sauce was outstanding and got awesome reviews on the whole meal. The meat was moist when we pulled it and had outside crispy parts that were my favorite part.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you have one of the lower ones probed, I would leave it alone and don't open until it hits your target temp. That could be as low as 192-195 to as much as 200-205. In my Amerique, the right temp is the lower range most of the time. If you pull at a lower temp and FTC, the PB will still be almost too hot to handle for as long as 6-7 hrs. The FTC period allows the meat to continue to cook and break down the meat fibers making it tender and allowing the juices to redistribute.
Thanks Mike. I did decide to open it dang it. But I learned something. I had it right. The picture must be misleading. When I picked up the right one 1/3 of it seperated. This gave me reason to taste a little bit at 175 degrees. OH MY GAWD!! I could eat it now!! I shut the door and am going to let it get to that range and FTC until my guests arrive.
I am seriously trying not to worry. Cause everything I have read sais I am in plateau. The cookshack probe that is in the smaller PB on the top shelf has been at 168-173 for 5.5 hours now. The larger one on the bottom is at 180. Is it common to be in the plateau this long? My temp is 225. Thanks for responding.

I also noticed I am leaking out of a weld in the rear bottom part. Is this common or not a big deal. It isnt flowing but a drip every once in a while.
Made 4 racks of loin ribs yesterday. 3hrs on the nose at 225o. They were outstanding and my family really enjoyed them. Got comments like "the best I have ever tasted". They were not "fall of the bone" but the bone was clean when we were done. I slathered them in mustard, rib rub from cookshack and some Lawrys SS. I finished them on the grill after applying some bbq sauce.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.