Skip to main content

This was my first experience with a bone in rib roast in the Smokette. Planned to practice before Xmas dinner with the entire family. 4.5lb's, 2 bone choice rib roast, rubbed with approximately 1.5 oz of "Pappy's" commercial prime rib rub (kosker salt, garlic, pepper, rosmary, etc.)

Preheated the Smokette at 250 for 60 minutes. Placed 2.5 sprigs of fresh cut rosemary (from my garden) and half a large clove of garlic in the firebox. Also added half oz. of apple wood. Wasn't looking for strong smoke flavor, just a hint. Placed roast and firebox in and waited exactly 2 hours for roast to register 116 degrees (wanted medium rare to rare); it was 48 degrees when it went in. I then opened the door to cool down the smoker, closed the door and reduced temp to 140 degrees. Roast continued to rise fairly rapidly, so opened the door a 2nd time to cool the smoker. Temp stabilized, and roast hit 130 degrees an hour later. It held very well for the next 3.5 hours, to a maximum roast temp of 133-4. Then removed.........

Let sit for 15 minutes and then grabbed a knife, basically cutting the roast in half to see what it looked like in the middle. Voila.........

I would have to say that this was not only easy, it was fun. Also, you can't imagine the smell that this thing produced. My whole neighborhood could smell it, and it smelled delicious. This roast was better than anything that I have eaten in a restaurant, even those that specialize in prime rib. It was so juicy, and the flavor was mind blowing. The infusion of the rosemary and garlic added just the right flavor and aroma. The edges were a bit more medium for those that are rare beef challenged, such as my wife, however, overall, the doneness of the roast was consistant throughout. I can't sat that I would have done anything different. Good Luck!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Russ,

Great looking stuff. It can be intimidating, because we're lead to believe it's hard. And that fact it's an expensive cut, you want to get it right.

I have a 12 lb, dry aged ready for Christmas day.

Question.

You said:
quote:
I then opened the door to cool down the smoker, closed the door and reduced temp to 140 degrees.
Are you saying you smoked it at 140 for an oven temp? It sounds like from the info, that's what you did.

Just curious, always like to hear the stories behind the success.

Russ
Smokin - I preheated the Smokette at 250 degrees for an hour, and then I roasted it at 250 degrees, until the internal was 116 degrees (it took 2 hours in this case). Once it reached 116, it was then that I reduced the temp on the smoker to 140 (opened the door to get the heat out), and basically held it there for 4 hours, at which time I removed. Similar to what Stuart had recommneded. Hope this helps. Good luck!
what is the purpose of the holding at 140 temp? What does it do? Im doing a prime rib right now and I lowered the smoker to 140 bout 2 hours ago. The roast is at about 140 right now, should I go ahead and pull it now so it wont get overdone? or will the temp rise any more internally while its holding?
When did you put the fresh rosemary and garlic in your fire box? I see no reason to do it until you put the meat is in the unit. This way you are wasting the garlic and rosemary.

If you catch your drippings you can make an excellent Yorkshire Pudding. The following recipe is from "A Treasury of Great Recipes" by Mary and Vincent Price. This is the actor Vincent Price. The book was first published in 1965.

1) Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature or the pudding will not puff up properly.
2) Sift together 7/8 cup of flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
3) Add gradually 1/2 cup of milk, stirring all the time.
4) When smooth, beat in 2 eggs. Beat until fluffy and pale yellow.
5) Add 1/2 cup of water. Beat vigorously until batter bubbles. You can use a blender on high speed for 15 seconds.
6) Preheat oven to 400 F.
7) Make this batter at least one hour prior to cooking and beat again before baking.
8) In the hot oven, heat a 8" X 9" baking pan or muffin pan. Pour about 1/4 inch of drippings or melted butter in bottom and let fat smoke.
9) Pour in batter and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350 F and bake for another 15 minutes.

We found the pudding stuck to the glass plate. We will try a nonstick muffing pan next time. We also think the meat drippings have more flavor than butter. Top the pudding mith meat drippings. This was a keeper recipe.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.