Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by David Qualls:
I apologize for the dealy in posting my pictures.

Cook One really put out a spread for me.

A fine assortment of Rubs, Sauce, Marinade, A T-Shirt that Fits! and a beautiful Wooden Rib Serving Board!

Here are some close up pics of the items

This Rib Serving Board is a beautiful piece of wood made of Maple with Walnut Strips inserted to accent the craftmanship of this presentation piece. I plan to use this for demonstrations as well as just plain ole serving straight off of the smoker nights here at the house!

Thanks Again! This was so much fun. I still have a second goodie Pack to send out to my receipeint, RichH. Please bear with me.

I always send out a pack from Butchers BBQ not only because David (Butcher) is a forum member and Cookshack user, but his Products are proven winners, His Business is just about 20 miles up the road from me, and most importantly, He is a genuine nice person. He is always free to lend advice when asked during comps and epitomizes the true spirit of a friendly competitor in the BBQ Industry.

David, I hope you enjoy the flavors, always nice when the shirt fits. We eat a lot of dinners straight from the grill to the Rib boards. Just adds something a little different. Hope you enjoy.
quote:
Originally posted by bubbasz1:
Looking over all the goodies people are getting, a lot that I have never heard of please try to comment on your thoughts of all the sauces you've received. That way we can maybe try to get a few different items without having to buy a grocery store worth goodies to try. I know different people like different taste but it would be a start.
Maybe it's just us rust belt people don't have the full exposure to all these rubs and sauces. Smiler

I agree, if there is a website on something you like share that as well as the comments.
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
Andy - I truly hope you are not just being kind. I would love it if you had any criticisms and told me, that is the only way I will be able to better the jerky! I am always trying new seasoning combos, I like this one. But there are lots of other ways to improve as well.
Great flavor to it. Personally, I prefer jerky that is spicy, but this was very good for a non-spicy version. Maybe the only criticism would be that it was a little too dry. But I'd eat it again, as a matter of fact, I've got one last piece that I'm munching on now. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
Rib Boards. What a great idea, never thought to make those. How wide are the strips? Looks to be maybe 3/4" x 3/4"? That would make them about 6 3/4" by 14" maybe?

Andy the boards are 9 1/4" wide 20" long and about 3/4 " thick. They are Maple with either Walnut or Cherry inserts. You can find them at www.perfectbitebbq.com. I have to say that my daughter in law has an interest in the company for what that's worth. We use these when we cook out as opposed to plates, you can serve anything on them, and as I mentioned they add something different, and look great with a slab of ribs on them
Thanks Andy for the honest criticism. I generally go not-to-spicy because of my youngest. The rest of us like spicy. I appreciate the info on the dryness. I was a little surprised. Everyone is a little different on how they like it. I hear things like, I like it real chewy so I cut it with the grain, vs. what we prefer is easy to chew cut against the grain. Based on your review of the dryness, I am gonna make another batch soon and cook it less, maybe by 1/2 hour or so. It is always a tad dry when it comes out of the oven, then is wonderful the following days. If you can think of anything else, let me know. Thanks again!!!! It's all gone now, isn't it Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Cook One:
Andy the boards are 9 1/4" wide 20" long and about 3/4 " thick. They are Maple with either Walnut or Cherry inserts. You can find them at www.perfectbitebbq.com. I have to say that my daughter in law has an interest in the company for what that's worth. We use these when we cook out as opposed to plates, you can serve anything on them, and as I mentioned they add something different, and look great with a slab of ribs on them
I do woodworking as a hobby, might just glue up a batch of those.
I just received my package. The package is from Lawrence C., whom I surmise is NY Smoke. Correct me if I'm wrong. What a great assortment of items I received, all will be put to quick use in the next few weeks. Lawrence, I'm especially anxious to try your homemade pork rub, it smells wonderful. I will report back, I'm sure it will all be great. Thank you so much!

BD - Yup, that's me! I was in such a hurry to get your package out that I forgot to include my forum id. I really enjoyed getting everything together for you, it was my pleasure. Yes Vicki, I noted that we both sent Hoboken Eddie's - not that much local stuff available from the area where we live. Looking forward to the next exchange for sure!
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
Here is a pic of all the goodies sent in by box by RichH. I have already used to of the rubs on ribs last week and now have turkey wings marinating in the Amish Honey Mustard marinade mix. Cant wait to take those out tomorrow night and smoke then finish on the grill and brush on some golden sauce.

YUM!

You got a nice looking box, expect mine to be on my doorstep tomorrow, can't wait for a look see.
Well 2nd Hand you out did yourself. I received your box today, and it is great. I am sending Smokin some pictures to post. What a great diverse selection. Someone has quite the talent with the Alabama wreath, very impressive. The only disappointment is the homemade preserves were DOA. Looks like this box was thrown over the fence by Mr. Brown. They looked so good I was tempted to pick the glass out and try them any way (did I mention I live in Alabama?)but sadly I let them go. Otherwise you out did yourself, the shirt is great and it fits,thanks again, this sure is fun. You did a great job very nice box. Thanks. I'll let you know later what my favorites are.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:
Originally posted by Cook One:
The only disappointment is the homemade preserves were DOA. Looks like this box was thrown over the fence by Mr. Brown.

That sucks!

Yep but 2nd hand was so generous, there are many more items that will be great to try. Win some lose some. This box is still a winner
quote:
[You got a nice looking box, expect mine to be on my doorstep tomorrow, can't wait for a look see.

OOPS, maybe you won't get your box today (Thursday) Frowner. Tracked and from OKC to Hutchins, TX (wrong way!) Confused then to Bedford Park, IL. Scheduled for delivery on Friday. It will include something to calm your frustration! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Soleman:
Just opened a great box from California, and am munching on some smoked almonds. Will post pics tomorrow, and try to deduce the sender. Can't wait to test this stuff out!

HMMM... only one participant from California?...
smoked almonds...Sherlock Holms thinks it may be Pags?
quote:
Originally posted by iSmoke:
quote:
[You got a nice looking box, expect mine to be on my doorstep tomorrow, can't wait for a look see.

OOPS, maybe you won't get your box today (Thursday) Frowner. Tracked and from OKC to Hutchins, TX (wrong way!) Confused then to Bedford Park, IL. Scheduled for delivery on Friday. It will include something to calm your frustration! Big Grin

Those dang Brown truck drivers, what's he doing going the wrong way, Oh well, looks like I'll have a Friday box to start off the weekend with.
quote:
Originally posted by Que'n RN:
quote:
Originally posted by Soleman:
Just opened a great box from California, and am munching on some smoked almonds. Will post pics tomorrow, and try to deduce the sender. Can't wait to test this stuff out!

HMMM... only one participant from California?...
smoked almonds...Sherlock Holms thinks it may be Pags?

It's funny that you mention pags...who in fact is not participating. However his almonds are participating. His recipe, but I made them. Big Grin
My thanks to Padrefan for setting up the exchange, and also for the great swag he sent me. Two Pappy's rubs, two hot sauces, 2 BBQ sauces, one hot wing sauce, mustard, and smoked almonds. So far, sampled all of the BBQ sauces and mustard. The mustard is wonderful. Want to try it with some deer summer sausage. The Carlsbad sauce tastes more vinegar based and the Geno's sauce is more soy sauce based. Both good, and unique from each other. The Pappys Prime Rib rub definitely tastes like it would go well with beef, or even on a steak. And the Pappys Seasoning seems more general, like it could go with anything. The Sweet Red Devil Sauce seems like it would make great hot wings. Haven't tried the Ring of Fire or Hot Licks yet...but I will. The almonds are addictive and I am told come from Pags recipe. I will search for it on the forum. Thanks Padre, this will keep me going for awhile!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Copy_of_IMG_5619
Just had some grilled shrimp for dinner, marinated in some Hoboken Eddies Mean Green sauce with an extra splash of tequila (Just because). Turned out great, just a hint of heat and lime. Thumbs up!

That's the great thing about this exchange. You get stuff you might not have ever bought yourself. Personally, I would never have thought to buy a sauce like this if I had seen it on a shelf. But I got it, tried it, and it's actually very good. Now I might actually look for something similar on a store shelf.
Well, a big thanks to S&H (Steve and Holly) for the crazy amount of stuff that they were able to jam into the box that arrived at my house on Wednesday (just picked up today though because I wasn't home Wednesday so had to reroute to a FedEx store). I'm still working my way through it, but in the meantime, see below for a photo. Many thanks to them for the thought and time they put into this. I hope to spend Saturday experimenting with some of the goods.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • May_BBQ_Exchange

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.