Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's what I was thinkin. Never underestimate the power of the Pags!! All kiddin aside I do think (was it Smokin?) got his box like the next day, and sent out another one right after that.

I took a look back at the Feb exchange to see what my new recipient recived last time. Holy Smokes!! I'm lookin at this picture of what he got last time and this wimp little pile of stuff I've got gathered up and thinkin maybe I should send him patio furniture, outdoor kitchen something!!

There were some very nice boxes last time. I got one myself. I think I will see if I can round a little something more. (Kegarator?)

Hope everyone has fun with this. I know I will!!

Thanks Padrefan for your time and trouble to put this together.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:
Originally posted by S&H:
I was thinkin Pags shipped out the day before!! :-)

Yeah, I'm thinking it may have been a West Coast conspiracy....LOL!

It's good to be the Sauce/Rub exchange moderator. I wouldn't buy into the conspiracy theory though. I haven't even sampled Pags almonds yet, though I have used his recipe. Wink
Oh darn S & H, now I gotta search thru that Feb. exchange post and figure out if my recipient was in the last one!!!

By the way, IF anyone is sending me a T-Shirt, please make it and XXL. I shrink things.

BTW, we try to stick to sweet rubs and sauces, but there are always exceptions to the rule, last time I got Apple Jalapeno Rib Candy, WOW, that stuff is awesome, but I have yet to put it on meat, I use it on toast and bagels Big Grin
Steve u r too kind. I have been trying all sorts of hi-mtn combos and adding spice here and there, it all comes out edible. I think it is the smoking technique more than anything. Yes I am sending jerky this time as well and I believe I promised to send you more as well. If I cant find your address somewhere Ill pm u.
quote:
Originally posted by S & H:
AndyJ hope you get to feelin better. Holly knows when I hit the NyQuil it's bad.

Actually, just got off the phone with my hillbilly sister in law. Just down a ways south of you in Benton. Don't know why I didn't know about this "cure" earlier? Tea, lemon, honey and Jack! I'm loving this stuff!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
I think I am all caught up on the shirt size requests. Please let me know if I missed anybody.

I know I have no room to talk cause I am a 2xl and shrinking, but there must be some relationship to our shirt sizes and cookshack. Nobody has said they are a medium or small. Hahah. Big Grin
Everone knows the old sayin don't trust a skinny cook, sounds like this bunch is very trustworthy. I'm an XL today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Well I just mailed my box today. Not sure if the person receiving it would want to know that it is scheduled to be delivered next Wednesday or not?

So all I will say is someone in OK check your front door this Wednesday, or somewhere around your front yard, in case the U tube videos of packages being thrown over fences and out the truck windows are real, if they are any where on your street is probably fair game.
Well, looks like a few got there box's out, I had to make a new batch of my sauce, finished that this morning, did some shopping yesterday, now the damn box I saved is tooo small, I need to do some scrounging at work tomorrow to get a bigger box, or someone might be getting two box's, that might not be a bad thing, more to open. Smiler
Thank Goodness for the LARGE flat rate box, headed out west, should arrive by the weekend. I hope it all makes it intact, that sucker was bulging a little, taped every square inch of box. Big Grin
PM me when you get the box, I forgot to put my note in it and I'll be damned I was opening that thing back up. I have some directions for the homemade rub you should know. Smiler
AndyJ,

The bag marked “Allergen” is from a local company that caters to the commercial market, but will sell to the home user. According to Waltons Inc. label this seasoning contains hydrolyzed soy protein, which is considered an allergen.

I must not have a soy allergy as I have used a lot of this mix with no ill effects other than those attributable to the accompanying Margaritas.
Bd- The hot sauce is incredible. We tried it with our meal last night. We had some smoked hamburgers and it kicked it up several notches on the taste. We also tried the OMG BBQ sauce with our french fries. Killer stuff! The relish was good. I tried that with a spoon. I am trying to decide what to do with that. Maybe a potato salad??? I tried both rubs on a cucumber because I couldnt wait to use them. The Fin and Feather is OUTSTANDING. The lime taste and rosemary are excellent compliments to the spice in the rub. Loved everything I have tried. My kids were excited about the hot sauce. They can't eat anything without some heat. So I stock up on Louisianna sauce and Tapatio. They said the Boom Boom was really good. "Can we get more?" they said! Ha! Looking them up no on the internet. Cheers!
Padrefan and anyone else interested,

Here is a little more background on the Salvy items I sent you, plus info on their other items. Salvy Sousa is a new, small Kansas company making some really good sauces. BTW, I have no financial interest in the company, just some good friends that I would like to see succeed with their new passion.

A new brand, Salvy Sousa, is taking on the Midwest. Salvy Sousa was developed by Hankerings LLC in 2011, a company owned by Rob and Janet Carroll of Arkansas City, Kansas. Long-time entrepreneurs in the commercial coatings industry, the Carroll’s took on their bucket list head on by pursuing their long time passion for food.

Hankerings wanted to create a brand that gave a throwback to old school nostalgia. For them, it was a simple concoction. Rob’s grandfather, an Italian butcher from New York and a lover of great cuisine, was named Salvy. And Sousa was the maiden name of Rob’s ornery Portuguese grandmother which was an extraordinary cook in her own right. The name was mixed and the little fella, Salvy Sousa, was born. But Salvy Sousa is anything but little; he’s a man that is ready to take on the food industry and introduce people to his new line of sauces, marinades and concoctions that will be enjoyed passionately from the preparation to the presentation of the meal. They are sure to bring together, “Food, Friends & Fire.” Salvy Sousa’s product line features premium all-natural products which use the finest ingredients and are proudly produced in Kansas.

Salvy Sousa Riff Raff Mushroom Marinade is a concoction of savory blend of sauces and red wine and other secretive family ingredients. Riff Raff has been meticulously crafted as a one of a kind marinade that is truly maintenance for the soul. It can be used to marinate mushrooms, onions, and other vegetables. It is a perfect marinade for both pork and chicken. Using Salvy Sousa Riff Raff Mushroom Marinade will make you a champion!

Salvy Sousa OMG BBQ Sauce is just that –One Mighty Gnarly BBQ Sauce! It is a full bodied premium sauce with bold, sweet and smoky flavors. You will love it! Use it everywhere, for meats, sandwiches, as a dip and for fries!

Salvy Sousa Shakem’ Up Steak Sauce is a premium blend for marinating your choice cuts of steak. Fine ingredients will encourage your steak to only be the best. A properly prepared steak should not need sauce in the plate. Using Shakem’ Up before will give you a great finish to your steaks!

Salvy Sousa Sweet N’ Sassy Jalapeno Relish is a perfect blend of sweet and heat to top off burgers, brats and hot dogs. It is a great blend for dips and a perfect addition for guacamole.

Soon to be released:

Salvy Sousa Rev It Up Ketchup with Boost – This ain’t your kids ketchup. Full flavored, full bodied and all natural ingredients make this concoction something you will reach for time and time again!

Salvy Sousa Boom Boom Hot Sauce – Put it in everything, Put it on everything, Put it over everything. People can’t get enough of the robust flavor that goes BOOM BOOM!
Hey BD in KS, I looked them up and found their website salvysousa.com.

Nice looking stuff. I am tempted to order the Salvy Sousa Sixer. I am gonna wait until the sauce exchange is over and I use up some of my stuff. I did bookmark the site. So they will be getting my business sooner or later Smiler Thanks for the info. That jalapeno relish looks good.

Padrefan - Another great use would be for a small brie cheese wheel, either on top or split thru the middle like a cake and put the relish in the middle, wrap in puff pastry and bake until golden on a cookie sheet. This type of appy always disappears anywhere I bring it. I usually use a habanero jelly, but look forward to trying this one day. Also try the cream cheese with the relish on a toasted bagel instead of a cracker, I bet that would be good!
quote:
Originally posted by David Qualls:
I received a Big Box of Nice Things! I will post some pics very soon.

Thanks Cook One!

I've been gone all last week (Talladega) and came home to some things that required my immediate attention. However I ordered the first of my stuff to head straight up the midwest. Hope it's not too Cheezy there.....hint...hint...

David, I hope you enjoy the box, if you were in Talladega, you were about 40 miles away, you could have picked it up, and been the first to get your box. I hope you like the selection. let me know what you like and don't like, it will help in the next swap.
The weatherman has rain in forecast for the weekend so when I got home I went out to the shop and started up the mower. Takes 2 1/2 hours to cut. Walk up to the house and I've got a box settin at the door! It's from Que'n RN. Very Kool!! I'll have to send somkin a picture so I can post it. Until then trust me, I recived a very nice collection of Rubs, Sauce, almonds, even a new apron. Thanks Que'n. Nice job!!
Well, this is a funny story...

My box has been in my house Since Thursday. Since my husband is away in Japan, my daughter said you cant touch that box because I told Daddy about something to order for Moms day and I think that's it.

Box went on dining room table until today when I remembered to ask hubby about it when he called. He said no, I didn't order anything (OUCH)!

What a surprise I had when I opened it. WHO NEEDS MORE FOR MOMS DAY, IAM VERY HAPPY NOW! THANKS RICH!!!!!!!

At first I really thought it was a candle by the way it was so professionally packed, and the box did say Bitter Creek Candle Co.

There really was a candle in there, all the way on the bottom. That was the first thing I opened, I lit it right away, my house now smells like fresh baked bread, YUM!

There is a big bunch of stuff to go thru, so I need to take more time later today to taste and read labels.

5 bottles of sauce, Smoked Celtic sea salt (smells like heaven) and a bunch of rubs, and can't forget the Habanero Death Dust (I am very afraid!).

PIC to follow later today!

Thank you very much Rich H, you have out done yourself I am sure. My house really does smell so good right now. I can't wait to go on line and look up your day job!!! Also, did Penzys change their comapny name? I used to always order from them, but it has been a while.

Vicki
Enjoy!
I read you don't like really spicy stuff but sent the Death Dust anyway because I think you will still like it, it really has a great flavor, normally when I use it I start with a very light coating of it and then add my normal rub(s).
I have used Penzy's and The Spice House and prefer The Spice House, plus they are one day shipping from me and have 5 retail stores in the Wisconsin Chicago area.

Glad you are enjoying the candle there was a little room in the box so I had to fill it Smiler
Rich, you are awesome! The death dust is hot, but very tasty as you said. I asked about Penzy's because it mentions the death of their founder in the front cover and his name is Penzy.

I had to take ribs out of the freezer just before so I could try one of the rubs/sauces for dinner...

Also, I looked thru your companies web page and can't find a link to see the finished pdts, like the candle you sent me, for sale. Since the one you sent me smells so good, I am sure everything else I order will too!

Pics will be posted later today! Oh, yes we like sweet best, but you always need something to add spice, even after the fact. Its my youngest who wont eat it if its spicy. Thank you for taking that into consideration. Also, it is so funny, dont know if you realized this, but...The company which some of the pdts came from is called Oak Ridge. That is the town I live in Big Grin
Boy, you weren't kidding when you said the post office would be sorry for coming up with "If it fits, it ships" I think even if you reopened the box to put in the information, then everything might not fit.

The only casualty was the Mississippi BBQ sauce-it leaked just a little around the top, but nothing serious.

Can't wait to try EVERYTHING! The Mississippi BBQ sauce tasts great. Looking forward to using the maple sugar. The maple syrup is fantastic with the brine for bacon and I like to add it in with my breakfast sausage mix. Mrs. Que'n has her eye on several of the rubs for using other than just with smoking.

Your homemade rub- WOW -obviously garlic and black pepper- what else? Good on...? Absolutely delicious.

The fajita mixes look like they may be good on some jerky, too.

I just can't thank you enough for your selections. They won't last too long around here.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • my_package_edited-1
Wow is all I can say about the box I received from Joe M yesterday!!!! Really good lookin stuff I can't wait to try. Smoked almonds and pecans that my wife wanted to open right away and I said we need pics first. Some Chimichuri condiment that will be great on steaks or bread dip, Korean BBQ marinade for flank steak, matouks hot sauce/salsa. These obviously are hard to come by and very cool sauces.
4 rubs that include a poultry rub from World Grill, Jamaican Jerk rub that I can't wait to use on a PB and chicken, Fast Eddy's BBQ rub that I haved used but am out of and love it, and last but not least is a homemade rub that Joe made for me. I always love to try homemade rubs!
I also received some incredible Benne Wafers. They are so very good that they sure wont last long if I don't hide them, especially when my grand daughters show up.
I will get pics later today after I get caught up in the garden and yard. Thanks Joe so very much for all the thought you put into the package and I am certainly looking forward to trying everything!!!
Well, where do I start, the Mississippi BBQ sauce is my personal sauce, I just used that bottle to package it in. My daughter works at Chicken Shack and she said it had to go in the box, it actually is not too bad for a chain sauce.
The E&L fajita steak and chicken seasoning is addicting. I use that stuff on everything non BBQ. I had to let it run out so I would use some of my other spices that was stacking up.
My wife loves the maple sugar on her ribs with some honey tin foiled for a spell(Cal says it's too sweet but what the heck does he know Smiler. Now Michigan isn't a big BBQ state but there are a couple of Michigan made sauces I sent, and while I was at the big market in Detroit I saw the home made jam and figured what the heck and sent those along also. I wanted to grab some Garlic jelly that a fellow makes downriver but he wasn't at the show, it is truly delicious.
My rub is without sugar, so you want to cut it 1 to 1 with your favorite sugar before you rub it on. Seems to stay better without the sugar added.
The maple syrup is home made by a gent in Clair Mi, (about 4 hours from My place) but he is always at the market. He makes multiple grades, your bottle is a grade C (Heavy-dark)deep flavor.
The MO-JO is supposed to be a Cuban rub, that with all the others are new ones I ran across and haven't tried. Enjoy!
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
I asked about Penzy's because it mentions the death of their founder in the front cover and his name is Penzy.

Also, I looked thru your companies web page and can't find a link to see the finished pdts, like the candle you sent me, for sale. Since the one you sent me smells so good, I am sure everything else I order will too!

Also, it is so funny, dont know if you realized this, but...The company which some of the pdts came from is called Oak Ridge. That is the town I live in Big Grin

I didn't even notice that on the cover, I ordered a catalog for myself also.

We do not make any finished products, we sell the supplies to make them. We do have to test products and that is how your candle came to be.

I confess, I didn't notice, I did pack the box but the shipping department took care of the rest. I buy most of my rubs from Oak Ridge BBQ and I haven't been disappointed yet. Their Secret Weapon is my go to for pork and chicken.
Thanks Rich. I have ribs in the smoker right now and 1/2 rack has TSH's Northern Style rub on it and a full rack has the Northern Style mixed with the Bronzeville Rib Rub (has more spice). I am gonna be serving the apple cinnamon sauce with them, everything I have tasted so far is so delicious.

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO START MAKING MY OWN CANDLES TOO! Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.