Skip to main content

I received my SM020 a couple of weeks ago and used it a number of times from just a few hours to serveral overnighters. The unit does come to temp and holds the temp very steady, have verified on several occasions with a remote thermometer inserted in the unit.

When the unit is within roughly 20 degrees of the set temperature, it begins to cycle on and off, and will do so throughout the entire time. What puzzles me is that it constantly cycles on for 2 or 3 seconds and off for 1 or 2, and then back on again.

Talked to Cookshack and they sent me a new controller, same issue and talked with them again and was told that the constant quick on and off is normal.

Has anyone experienced this or it is normal? I may just be use to my previous electric smoker that was purchased at a big box retailer and did not understand what it was like to own a quality smoker.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've noticed this type of behavior with my new Amerique. I just figured that they got so tired of people complaining about the temp swings that they decided to clamp down on it. Having used traditional stickburners and water smokers in the past - I'm not too worried about temp swings on an electric (it will never be as bad). Another possibility which I haven't checked yet (but is probably reality) is that the abnormally quick cycling is due to a lack of thermal mass. Up to now (I got it in Dec - first cook at 10 degrees F - amazing) I've only been doing partial loads of ribs and single pork shoulders. A full load would likely take the cooker longer to cycle. The same is likely true for the SM020. In any case - I wouldn't be too worried about it.

My two cents.

Joe
I appreciate the feedback. I guess my only concern was the durabilty of the electronics plus throw in being a cookshack newbie. My well used previous unit died of multiple electronics failures after about a year. Of course there is a significant difference in quality between my new cookshack little beast and the ones from the retail stores that are typically only used a couple of times before the average consumer turns it into patio furniture decor, much like my treadmill coat rack behind me.

It all makes sense and was sort of what I expected, but thought it would not hurt to ask the experts. I did have good luck with my previous one and it was a decent beginner unit for much less money. Although it was a sealed unit, temps were always a problem, over and under temp, and a full load at single digit outside temps was always a major challenge.

I really could not be more pleased with my purchase. The Cookshack folks were great to talk with before my purchase and the customer support after has been great. All the great folks on this forum have been a huge help now and for all the great ideas. The quality of the unit and ease of use have been impressive. I know, it may sound like a lot of fluff, but it is what it is.

And to finally answer your question, it does hold temp very well, even at 5 degrees outside temp, -10 windchill and a full load.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.