Skip to main content

Brand new Amerique. 3rd cook today. Smoking some Dr Pepper and Jalapeño jerky at 200 * with some hickory. 1 minute into the cook the Cookshack thought the 6 hours had gone by and it said "done" and retreated to 140*.  This has happened a few times now. Just unplugged it. Is there a way to cook with setting a time so as to bypass this? Or, is there a way to reset it? Thanks. 

Last edited by Parrothead72
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Damn you are good! I think we tricked it. Will let you know. Probe is now completely outside the cooker. Oddly, I cannot set the probe temp north of 200 * which seems wrong to me. It’s like the control box is whacked or needs a reset. Timer only cooks for 1 min and then pivots to “Hold” mode at 140 * (set the time for 1 hr, 3 hr, 6 hr, 10 hr, etc and all the same result). Not sure you can cook without the clock so the probe mode might be a good work around. Keep ya posted…..

> On May 25, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Cookshack <alerts@crowdstack.com> wrote:
>

Do NOT use the probe unless you are cooking meat to a desired internal temp.  The smoker has its own internal 'box' probe and it is tied into the controller. The probe should only be connected to the controller when cooking to an internal temp and the probe shoved into the meat. A LARGE cut of meat like butts, brisket, whole poultry/large breasts, etc. 

I used a meat probe because without it....the unit turned off after a minute no matter what I did. For some reason, whether I set the time for 3 hours, 6 hours, 10 hours, it switched to 140 degrees and “hold” after 60 seconds.

So, to trick it, we used the meat probe and set it for 200 degrees and left it outside the unit. Cook worked perfectly. So, I appreciated the work around. Never heard from CS on the broader issue.

Noel Volpe | Managing Director
Co-Head, U.S Financial Sponsors Group
Deutsche Bank Securities Inc
(212) 250-4172 | (917) 755-7278

> On Jun 12, 2020, at 9:37 PM, Cookshack <alerts@crowdstack.com> wrote:
>
> 
Just to be clear….this was without the meat probe…..I ended up using the meat probe to bypass a need to use the timer…..and I kept the probe outside the unit so I could smoke the jerky without the thing shutting down….happy to reach out but this was not about the probe as best I could tell….maybe I misunderstood your note, though…..

> On Jun 15, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Cookshack <alerts@crowdstack.com> wrote:
>

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.