Skip to main content

I have some beef jerky to smoke up tomorrow. Given a choice between apple, cherry, hickory or pecan, which would turn the meat the darker color when smoked? Maybe a combination? I'll be using small chunks and running the smoker (008) at 175* for several hours, cracking the door open every so often to exhaust excess moisture. Any insight is appreciated- Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Brian....
I have made a thousand or so pounds over the years and i normally use a mix of apple and oak. The hickory or pecan should do equally as good, I just dont have access to pecan. If I do a 12 pound batch, I will start at 150 and work up to 185 over a 10 hour period. I also lay it out flat on 1/4 inch mesh stainless racks. Good luck and let us know....
The jerky turned out great. It turned out a nice dark brown color. I Marinated 5lbs top round sliced about 1/4in. thick in a modified brine (including 1 TBSP TQ per pound) for 36hrs. Patted strips dry, dried some more in fridge for a couple of hours. I used stainless steel rods to hang the meat. Wood used: apple/pecan slivered into 1/2 oz. chunks. Starting with 3oz. I set the smoker for 150* for two hours. Opened the door to dump the moisture for a couple of minutes, added a 1/2oz chunk and bumped the temp up to 175* for the rest of the smoke. Opened door and added another 1oz. at the 4hr mark. Checked jerky at the 6hr mark. Total time was 7 hrs. Cooled and stored overnight in the fridge. Mmmm- good eats...
I smoked 4 lb. of eye of round yesterday using Hi Mountain Mandorin Teriyaki cure/spice (grandkids like jerky sweeter and not spicy). Let it set in the cure/rub for 48 hrs in the fridge. I used the GLH method to the "T" using 5 oz. of hickory and pulled the jerky after 5 hours. Let it rest in the fridge for 18 hours.

Tried some for lunch today, and it turned out quite tasty. I really can't taste the mandorin, but pick up a little teriyaki and a good amount of hickory. Half of the texture was right on while some wasn't chewy enough. More like dried meat than jerky if that makes sense. I attribute this to a break down between my butcher and me (slices were too thick). I could have left the thicker slices in the smoker longer, but still came out with pretty good results. Will make sure the butcher hits 1/4" to 3/8" next time. Will try a spicier cure/rub next time.

Thanks to GLH, Tom, Smokin', Wheelz, Dmerrell and everyone else for all the input. My family, kids, and grandkids think this whole smokin thing is great. I do too, cuz my grandkids pulled weeds for me yesterday knowing I was slaving away making a jerky they would like. Shssssshh. Don't spill the beans.

Pags
Dang. Sitting in the refrigerator for a couple days enhanced the flavor and the texture of the jerky. Took some to lunch today so a few of my friends could try it, and they thought it was great. Actually, thought some of it was missing only to find my daughter took some to work to share with her friends cause she liked it so much. I'm going to have to make another batch.

Pags

Folks, question on wood selection. I have a source that has Oak, Pecan, Hickory and Cherry wood chunks. These are large boxes of 1.75cuft each. I use all but Cherry on my stick burner but was wondering for the SM045 to cook Pork Butts, Ribs and then some briskets, maybe beef ribs, ocassional Prime rib, which woods would be the most suitable. For me oak is more for heat than flavor in my stick burner, but the Hickory and Pecan work great. I've never tried Cherry.  I'm partial to mesquite as well but my source doesn't have that, but can be found elsewhere. Thanks for any recommendations.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.