Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Don't know if I'm quite following the first part of the question, but I will say whenever I pull off a successful Sunday supper, I do wonder if I missed my calling...

Then I gander at the Professionals Only section of the forum, and it brings me back down to Earth!!! Eeker

That said, hit a Famous Dave's and another BBQ joint down in the La Crosse area on a work trip last week, and felt that (mainly w/ the info picked up on the forum and the CS) my pork and chicken was just as good as I had down there.

Ribs and brisket??? Well I guess it's my "talent" showing through. But it gives me an excuse to keep practicing! Big Grin
I think I could easily be chef if I had found my calling earlier in life. I just have a problem with making plates of food look pretty, just can't get my brain to realize that makes a difference. If it smells good, and taste good, the looking good part is going to be gone soon, and I won't have memories on how well it looked before I ate it. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by bubbasz1:
I think I could easily be chef if I had found my calling earlier in life. I just have a problem with making plates of food look pretty, just can't get my brain to realize that makes a difference. If it smells good, and taste good, the looking good part is going to be gone soon, and I won't have memories on how well it looked before I ate it. Big Grin

I was once, and am again a professional chef, and I have the same problem! If the food is good, I have no issues with eating it off of one of those compartmentalized trays like we used in grade school. But this is why I also used to have an "artist" of a sous chef. He (they) frequently talked about the plate as a canvas, and food as their paint. I thought they always sounded kind of French when they said stuff like that, in the way it made me want to slap them, but they sure could make a plate look pretty.

Then I see Famous Dave's serving on a trash can lid!!! Even I can do that!

This post represents only the views of the poster and is not meant to imply anything but the deepest respect for French food, French people, the French way of life, attractive French women, and French chefs in particular, regardless of how annoying any and all of these things might be from time to time.
A couple thoughts about our production,would be that most of us work hard at producing a quality product and we want to please ourselves.

Then,it is always nice to share the moment with a friend .

Now,the problem with a friend's comments could be swayed by drinking your beverages and eating your food.
Some are more objective than others. Big Grin

Yes,folks eat first with their eyes,but letting them fill their own plate probably works.

Yes, after learning to cook here,makes it more difficult to really get excited about most bbq joints.

As to Famous Dave's,we have had a manager from there and several long threads.

Next time, ask to see the kitchen and see if the briskets are coming out of a Cookshack. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Todd G.:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbasz1:

I was once, and am again a professional chef, and I have the same problem! If the food is good, I have no issues with eating it off of one of those compartmentalized trays like we used in grade school. But this is why I also used to have an "artist" of a sous chef. He (they) frequently talked about the plate as a canvas, and food as their paint. I thought they always sounded kind of French when they said stuff like that, in the way it made me want to slap them, but they sure could make a plate look pretty.

Then I see Famous Dave's serving on a trash can lid!!! Even I can do that!

This post represents only the views of the poster and is not meant to imply anything but the deepest respect for French food, French people, the French way of life, attractive French women, and French chefs in particular, regardless of how annoying any and all of these things might be from time to time.

Well one thing I do know for sure and for my life is the only thing that matters. Once you watch my family put their food on a plate, and mix and match, and well you know. Do things that you would never see at a place of fine foods, how it looks doesn't enter into the picture. As long as I lay nice big PB on the table and they all go this is your best one yet(most of the time) who cares.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.