Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mornin',top chef.

I traveled and worked out of Memphis,since the late 60s.
I haven't been to Vergos for about 10 years and they are as much about the tradition and history as the food.

You have to see the pits to understand.He talks about temp at the coals of 325� and they are a long 18 inches from the ribs.

They are a very smallish loinback and might be consdered true babybacks.

They will have shoulders above them to baste and they do a lot of heavy mopping with the vinegar water which dampens the pit temps.

Stogie has eaten there since then.

I'm certainly not advocating Corky's,but they do a strong business with FedEx and the product seems to arrive packaged and shipped correctly.

For what its worth,they will ship a mix of wet and dry ribs.

My brother's in-laws had them ship food for about 60 people,twice,and they were pleased with the experience.This was into Fl.

Neely has had the Interstate for years and his restaurants might have a shipping program.They are really thought more of for their shoulder,slaw,and BBQ spaghetti.

That said,I agree with Stogie that there are other places I would go while there.

I'm not sure I could recommend their shipping experience,though.

Hope this helps some.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
[qb]Mornin',top chef.

I'm certainly not advocating Corky's,but they do a strong business with FedEx and the product seems to arrive packaged and shipped correctly.

[/qb]

I've tried Corky's by mail - both dry + wet...thought they were kinda "ho hum"

Thanks for the feedback though Smiler
Well now, we did ribs in both techniques over the labor day weekend. (Talk about labor! Thank goodness for the Bud.)

Did the dry ribs to perfection.

Did the wet ribs to perfection.

The debate goes on. No consensus. 50-50 split.

Gimme a wet. WET!. Gimme a dry. DRY!

Wet, dry, wet, dry. Goooooooooooooooooo Gators.

Miami, don't you cry.....

It's them damn Okies we're after. WET.

Cool
As always searching for the Holy Grail of Ribology, I was perusing the topic posts in hope of enlightenment and honest truth in the effort to better serve a most priceless rib of utmost pleasure.

I was then interrupted in my search with Tom's most noble post and the term "BBQ spaghetti".

Precisley what is that? I am drawn to it inexplicably (not unlike the gaze fastened upon a train wreck).

Seriously, is it any good? Is it spaghetti with the sauce as a barbecue sauce? Is it some sort of tradition anywhere?

Thanks! And sorry for the good natured "Ribbing"!

PrestonD
Mornin',Preston.

I don't know if Memphis invented it,but it is very popular there.

Neely's Interstate is the most popular,but if you are downtown on Madison try it at the Bar-b-q Shop Restaurant.

An easy approach is cook up a pound of spaghetti and set aside.

Fry up a medium onion and a couple cloves of garlic in some butter,add a couple cups of chopped or pulled shoulder.

Add about a cup, or a little more, of a Memphis style red sauce[not too sweet] and mix well.

Plenty of fresh ground black pepper.

Mix the cooked pasta into the pan and mix well,pour out onto a platter and throw a handful of chopped onion over top.

Add only enough sauce to coat the pasta.

Serve with ice cold draft beer. Wink

I didn't mean for this to be a recipe,so Smokin' is welcome to move it if he sees fit.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.