Skip to main content

OK...it's finally here and tonight's the night. Momma just noticed the new addition in the garage. She caught me firing it up to figure out how to run it and check temps. Whatever I do, the brisket & butt better be good (at least as good as before.)
I've been cooking on a stick burner and usually cook at 225˚ to 240˚ and wrap after 5-6 hours. I've been lucky enough to have my name called enough to think I'm pretty close on temp & cooking times.
I've been told that on this cooker brisket & pork should be smoked at 180˚ for 8-10 hours, then at 250˚-260˚ for x? hours.
I don't have a clue when to put it on or when to wrap. I'm cooking tonight for a small get together tomorrow afternoon...everyone knows what to expect when I cook on the old smoker, I imagine they'll be especially critical of the outcome now that I've gone to 'The Dark Side' with a pellet burner.
All suggestions are appreciated, if I don't burn the barn down or get run out of town, I'll try to post pictures.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

From what I get from your message, you seem to be using the burn-in time to cook a butt and a brisket. Word of warning, the cooker needs some time to darken up the inside of the smoker so as to even out the cooking temps.

But if it was me, I would put the butt and the brisket in and run the FEC at 160* for the first six hours and then raise the temp up to 236* for the remainder of the time. On brisket, I wrap around 165-170. I don't wrap butts but if you are going to, wait until it makes through the plateau and gets to 170.

Hope this helps.
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog:
From what I get from your message, you seem to be using the burn-in time to cook a butt and a brisket. Word of warning, the cooker needs some time to darken up the inside of the smoker so as to even out the cooking temps.

Thanks for the advice...burn in time? Who has time for that? I won't pay too much attention to temperature swings since I'm in such a rush to practice....meat goes on at 10PM...I'll watch it til' midnight, then what I could never do at a contest....sleep.
quote:
Originally posted by uncle vern:
so how is the 100 im getting in th mood to by one---will i like it--ive got a treager(7)yrs

I've been told the temp swings will mellow out after I 'burn-in' the inside. When I fired it up a couple times empty to check temps, the heat was fairly even top to middle (I only had 2 digital probes) While cooking (semi)loaded, the top fluctuated from 20˚ to 25˚ hotter than the digital readout and the middle shelf ran 30˚ to 35˚ lower than the top. The probes were located ½” above the shelf and 2” away from the meat (left side).
I have a (7) shelf system and cooked a 7# butt [top shelf], (select) 12# Brisket [2nd shelf, 3rd slot down] & CAB 5# flat [right under the flat, 4th slot].
Smoked 10 hrs @ 174˚ then 3 hours @ 250˚, wrapped , then another 3 hrs @ 250˚. Put it all in a cambro for 1-1/2 hours. The butt was almost perfect, the flat was perfect for tenderness but not enough smoke ring, the whole brisket was better on smoke ring but not quite as tender (well, all Sam’s had was select, I expected as much! and the internal temp wasn't quite as high as the flat)
I’d hoped for more smoke ring and even cheated a little by putting a few small chunks of apple wood and charcoal on a home-made stainless shelf near the fire pot. I’m happy considering this was my first time on the FE…. And… I actually went to sleep after the first 3 hours (I had be sure the barn wouldn’t burn down and wanted to add a piece of apple wood)
Question(s)….
How much cooking needs to be done to ‘burn-in’ or season the FE? Will the temp swings and difference in temps top to bottom mellow out? Is there a better way to season the FE other than doing brisket & pork?
Oh...it's really efficient, I don't think I burned 10# of pellets in 15 hours! I'll pay more attention next time....And I'll have a few more digitals to track temps.
I'll post pictures when I get time to make the .JPG files smaller.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.