Skip to main content

This is the first time I've put 4 Butts in my 55 and after 16 hours the internal temp was still only 165F. I had 2 butts per shelf on the top 2 shelves.

Maybe there wasn't the proper space between them or something.

I removed them at that time and after they cooled some I pulled them. Definatly under cooked as far as texture and ease of pulling.

At this point I think I'll stick with 2 at a time and just do 2 cooking cycles.

Comments?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We need more info. What temp did you cook at? Weight of the butts? You could have bumped the temp up on the smoker to get over the plateau. Did you open the door to rotate the butts on the shelves? As Smokin' says "They're done when they"re done". In my experience a full load doesn't add appreciably to the cook time.
That's a common temp for the plateau. And the plateau is a function of the meat--not the smoker, size, or load. In a pinch you can crank the heat or wrap in foil to accelerate past the plateau, but it's best to just let it go. Give 'em the time they need.

I've done 6 butts in my Smokette, could have squeezed in one more per rack (9 total). I put mine in at night before I go to bed. That way they can have all the time they need, and I can hold them in the cooler for dinner or the big event.
Hmmmm, I just experienced roughly the same thing. I smoked two 6lb butts in my 008 set to 225 and it took nearly 15 hours to reach 175 internal temp. Never had it take so long but this was the first time I placed them both on the same rack, I usually use two racks. I'm thinking it just may be the circulation of heat that caused the longer times.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.