Skip to main content

My FE100 was born 2/6/08. Have I had problems?
Yup...but I haven't ever owned anything that has been "problem free" and I didn't figure by FE100 would be any different.
Problem #1: Sheered a pin (easy fix)...found the auger motor bolts were loose making the auger bind. Replace the pin and tighten bolts.
Problem #2: IQ controller not functioning properly. Temps were waaaaay off. (easy fix) Hit reset button.
Problem #3: Pellet build up in pot (pellets not burning to ash) Called Tony at Cookshack. Firepot "leaking" air at top backside. (easy fix)...two hose clamps tightened to seal "air leak".

When I do a cook I load my FE100 up. I have 4 rib racks and do 30 to 39 racks of babybacks each cook. IBP babybacks average 3.34 pounds each. Farmland babybacks average 2.75 pounds.

I smoke 16 butts each cook. Butts very in size. Anywhere from 6.5 to 9 pounds.
I have smoked during the blazing heat of August to sub-zero temps in January and blizzards in March.

Just sayin' my family, friends and even strangers like my Q and I couldn't be happier with my FE100 and the Cookshack Forum. The best combination for some of the best Q ever to cross the gool 'ol USA.

Thank you ALL for your insights on smokin' Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good to hear a short story,rather than all the problems,that are real,to a tiny minority.

I guess the team has and still has a half dozen for the last decade and we have been fortunate to have less total problems than your single.

I undertand than even one problem is important to the cook that has it,but also understand the rest of the thousands with no problems don't feel the need to comment.

Oh well. Smiler
Same with me: Two fires, sheared pin, fire out, bad muffin fan. Everything fixed and now I just put n the butts on and go to bed. Wake up at 7:30, open the window and if I smell smoke or food I don't even crack the door open until my remote goes off at 200 degrees. I really feel kinda guilty at contest after 8 hours sleep looking at all those stick burner guys looking like zombies.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC_6886
my fec 100 is a 12-2008 the only problem I had with it was a bad power cord and a new one was shipped next day. I have it in a indoor kitchen and use it about 10 to 40 hrs. a month its realy our main oven I keep the fire box vacumed out before each use and has been a great trouble free product. the one thing I did was build a stack that comes to the top of the unit and the hood takes it from there

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.