Skip to main content

As Chef-Boy-Arnie mentioned in one of his latest post. “ I agree with Mr. T. Sometimes we forget that we have all experience levels represented on this forum and we sometimes get a bit complacent with mentioning food safety. I believe it is important for us to keep each other safe.”

Therefore I have included in my thread, Smoked Salmon from Go to Show, June/ 06/ 2011.
Smoke to 145° for a minimum of 30 minutes. (FDA 2001)
Store at 38° or below. (FDA 2001)

Tom
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If this were a site about food safety, I wouldn't joke about it.

Padrefan98, I know you are a very good and responsible cook. No apology needed but thanks anyway. It is my opinion though that food safety is a very important part of any discussion on cooking even this forum, which has many novice and/or adventurous cooks on it. I for one will consider food safety more in future threads.

Tom
not sure where you get your "smoke to 145 for a minimum of 30 minutes". Personally I've had my share of salmon both smoked and seared where the meat temp never got close to 145. Personally for me if you cook salmon to an internal temp of 145 it is way over cooked and not very appetizing. Many share the same ideas for cooking burgers and steaks of course.
I'm not engaging in a 'show and tell' show down. You can feel free to cook it the way you want. My in-home practices are such that I am not concerned with safety issues. My salmon is always maintained well within the safe temp ranges and I don't hold my hot smoked salmon in the fridge from more than a couple of days as I freeze for long term storage.
Last edited by tnq
I smoke my salmon like TN Q. I don't cold smoke but do hot smoke, and I never take it to 145*. Let alone for 30 minutes.

It's got to be the difference for packaging (where it'll be held for a while) and normal cooking for immediate consumption. A lot of restaurants don't serve salmon at 145* and hold it there for 30 minutes or they wouldn't be selling much salmon.
Confusion?? Yes I am talking about packaging as this hot smoked salmon is meant to be served as an hour devour or an appetizer. (Packaging was mentioned in my pics.) It is generally served with cheese and crackers, puréed for use in a sauce or I like to make sushi rolls using it and a spear of cucumber. If cooking salmon for an entrée I would not recommend brining for 20 hours but marinate it then place on grill, plank, oven or whatever until done. No need here to hold at 145°for 30 minutes. Regardless when you or I pull it, the USDA recommended internal temperature for fish is 145°.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/is_it...chure_text/index.asp

Tom
All,

This is "starting" to get to be a little headed the wrong direction and I received a PM about it.

There's nothing wrong with posting guidelines, but NONE of us here are the experts and can't and shouldn't tell others how to do things. Shoot. YOU want to you foil, that's fine with me, but I know it's wrong but you don't like me telling you that it is, do you. Big Grin

But we also have a right to point out the facts or point to locations with more details for those that have questions.

Let's just not let it get to absolutes, no one likes that.

State your position if you want, but don't try to force it on others and be respectful of others.

This is the FUN forum, remember Confused

If you want to get in a "back and forth" post, I'll delete it and send you to the showers.

Use a PM if you feel that strong.

Now, I'm moving this to the Seafood forum.

OFFICIALLY

THE MODERATOR
mrt 2 posted:
As Chef-Boy-Arnie mentioned in one of his latest post. “ I agree with Mr. T. Sometimes we forget that we have all experience levels represented on this forum and we sometimes get a bit complacent with mentioning food safety. I believe it is important for us to keep each other safe.”

Therefore I have included in my thread, Smoked Salmon from Go to Show, June/ 06/ 2011.
Smoke to 145° for a minimum of 30 minutes. (FDA 2001)
Store at 38° or below. (FDA 2001)

Tom

Food security goes hand in hand with their in-home cooking practices, and by this I mean inside and outside their homes.

And yes, I definitely think that we should base any specialized cooking method like smoking with the right sources of information, starting with the safe minimum internal temperature tables:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/safe-minimum-internal- temperature chart

"For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook food to higher temperatures" (USDA 2019).

A good recommendation would be to make sure you use a food thermometer to verify a safe internal temperature. I know of companies that provided very good sensors and services for this : https://iqkitchen.co/ is one of those , what I liked about them is that they have no hidden costs.

- Anna V 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.