Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bodacious,

When you say "from scratch", do you mean dried beans? If so, you won't get them tender enough from start to finish, in a smoker. At least I can't, even after soaking them overnight. What I do is soak them overnight, (any bean will do here) cover them with fresh water (unsalted) and bring them to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes, remove from heat and let them steep for 30 minutes.

Drain the beans, reserving the liquid, and combine them with your favorite ingredients. Place all in a roasting pan and set on the lowest rack of your smoker.
Set your meat over the bean pan and smoke away. If the beans require more moisture through the smoking process, add back some bean broth.
Yeah, I was thinking of letting them sit in a pot of water overnight, with maybe just a short boil. I hate mushy beans.

But I noticed that the recipes I found on the site were using canned baked beans as a base.

Also, how long did they smoke to get the right amount of smoke?

But I will take recipes too Big Grin
Aw, come on, can't you take an existing recipe and modify it? Gonna have to call you out on that one Razzer

I've got a couple of recipe I can get to later.

The biggest issue is which dry beans. Man last time I discussed the subject, we went into a Pinto vs. Navy vs. Small Navy vs this vs this kind bean and which one to use.
I grew up in the hills of southern Appalachia and I cook every kind of dried beans there is.

You can make the Smokette into a crockpot,if you really want to.

My recommendation would still be to get your beans up to finishing stage,smoke three hours under some pork or beef in a wide flat pan and don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Many cooks figure that if you spend more time getting the Q right and less time on all the incidentals,you are usually far ahead of the curve.

I use Bush's and have never had a mushy bean IMO.

Like Smokin'says,if I am doin' pinto beans I start from scratch-because I may see them in competition some day.

This is not to say that I have not invented many projects,because I like to. Big Grin
quote:

This is not to say that I have not invented many projects,because I like to. Big Grin [/QB]

Well, that is me, always reinventing the wheel! I love to make totally new recipes but somehow I just haven't found the motivation to make "scratch" baked beans, but at the same time I can't see me opening a big can of Bush's just to smoke them.

In the end I probably will make my own recipe. But since my smokette is less than 1 month old and already used about 10 times, I haven't even tried anything beyond meats, so far.
Ok. here is a baked bean recipe from scratch.
Use a fork or your finger nails to scratch the labels on 2 # 10 cans(7lbs.+ each) of Bush's original baked beans. ( as Tom says, why reinvent the wheel?) Drain but do not rinse the beans. Reserve the juice so you can adjust the moisture content of the baked beans to suite you during the smoke.
. Saute one large onion and two TBS of
minced garlic in two TBS of butter or
Canola oil over medium heat until the
onion is translucent...the garlic in the
jar from Sam's etc. works fine
.Add the following:
.2 to 2 1/4 cups of ketchup depending on the thickness of the brand you choose.
.2 TBS dry mustard..I use Colemans.
.2 TBS Dijon Mustard
.1 TBS Tobasco +/- to taste.
.2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
.1 Cup Blackstrap Molasses, unsulphered
.1/2 tsp of hickory smoked salt
.1 TBS instant cofee crystals or
1/2 Cup STRONG cofee...day old is fine.
.1/2 -1 Cup of Bourbon, to taste (& mood)
.mix all ingredients well, stir & simmer over medium heat for five minutes.Transfer to a full size Hotel pan (a #4 disposable from Sam's works fine )stir in the beans, and slam it into the smoker, w/2 oz of hickory @ 180 degrees. Start checking the consistency after two hours, stir, and adjust with the reserved juice if necessary. The beans are pretty much cooked from the can so all you're looking for is smoke & consistency to suite your taste. Smiler
Bill
quote:
Originally posted by Bodacious BBQ:
[qb] I noticed that the recipes I found on the site were using canned baked beans as a base.

Also, how long did they smoke to get the right amount of smoke?

But I will take recipes too Big Grin [/qb]

1. Try the soak/cook method I described. After 30 minutes of simmering, bite into one or two. If they're "almost tender" pull them aside and steep. You want to stop the cooking process while they're still
al dente If, after smoking, you find them mushy, simmer them less.

2. The "right amount of smoke" is pretty subjective. Depends on what wood you're using and how long you keep the beans in the smoker. When I smoke beaked beans with pulled pork, I pull them after 5-6 hrs, when the meat is in the "plateau" stage.

3. Recipes? A search of the forum recipes or Google will get you all you can shake a stick at. The great thing about beans is that they're like a blank canvas...your "paints" are in your kitchen pantry. If you like your beans on the traditional side, use some tomato product -- fresh, canned, ketshup, paste, whatever you have on hand. Next comes a sweetener - sugar (brown? white? turbanado?) or maple syrup, or honey, or molasses. Or, try a southwestern approach -- cumin, garlic, chilis. Those work great with Pintos.

Have fun with your creative juices - that's what this is all about. Keep notes and recipes...adjust them as needed. Keep at it and sooner or later you'll hit a home run. The great thing is someone will always be around to eat your foul balls Smiler
T/C

Good response. You must be a chef or something Wink

What kind of beans do you use? Here's a silly question, what kind of beans do they use for the commercial stuff like Van Kamps or Bushes?

And I agree with the pre-cook. I've tried the cook only in the smoker method and they dried out before they ever got cooked.

Hope all is well with you, have a great new year.

Smokin'
Forget scratch. This one by Tom is the best on the planet.
It's true! Check out the sesame oil.

KC Baked Beans

28 ounce(s) Baked beans
3/4 cup BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup Brown sugar, dark
1 medium Tart apple, chopped, peeled
2 tablespoon(s) Raisins, golden
1 cup Onion(s), chopped
3 slice(s) Bacon, crisp, chopped
4 ounce(s) BBQ trimmings
1 teaspoon Sesame oil

PREPARATION:
Use your choice of baked beans. I use the Bush's with Onions and then skip the onions in the recipe. Also, use your favorite BBQ sauce. For the BBQ trimmings, you can use any leftover pork or beef. You can also substitute 2 TBS of bacon drippings in place of the 3 strips of bacon.
Dice the apples, raisins and onion into sizes the same as the beans.
Mix all together and cook for 1 hour at 350�.
I cook these in the pit for about 3 hours at 225�

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
[qb]T/What kind of beans do you use? Here's a silly question, what kind of beans do they use for the commercial stuff like Van Kamps or Bushes? Smokin'[/qb]

The recipe that gets the nost raves involves Pintos, Navy and Red Kidney beans - all of which I simmer seperately as they require different cooking times to get 'em al dente. I simmer them all with minced garlic, bay leaf and Cumin Seed, no salt as that will toughen them. Next I add Heinz Chili Sauce, just a little maple syrup, chopped fresh Jalepeno (smoke 'em if ya want to) more garlic and ground Cumin. Next comes burnt brisket of pork ends and some bean broth...and finally salt & pepper to taste. Add back enough bean broth (any one will do) to make them a bit soupy - the liquid disipates during the smoke.

The commercial canners use Navy Whites - I believe.

HNY back atcha!
Not to be too crotchety, but there's a few reasons to use dried beans instead of canned beans:

1. As mentioned above, to use different beans. Since a lot of 'em cook in the same amount of time, you could just mix a few kidney, navy, etc. before soaking and not use several partial cans.

2. Along the same line, to experiment with bizarre beans only available dry.

3. If there's something in commercial baked beans you'd rather leave out. For instance, I avoid onions & garlic and there's a very few brands (and getting less) of baked or refried beans without them.

4. Cost. Sure, it's a little silly to worry about a few pennies going into a $400+ smoker, but if you're making a lot of these, 50 cents buys a lot of dried beans and sauce ingredients, or not even one can.

All that aside, it always seems a bit tricky to me to get just the right amount of liquid while smoking so they aren't drowned or dried out without constantly opening the door to check.
If you love baked beans you'll go nuts over this clone recipe from the world's first theme restaurant chain. It's real easy to make too, since you just pour all of the ingredients into a covered casserole dish, stir, and bake for an hour and a half. The only element that may give you pause is the pulled pork from last week's recipe. It's an effortless addition if you've got some of that pork on hand. If not, just leave that ingredient out. Or you could add some cooked bacon to the mix. Either way the beans will still come out awesome as a nosh-worthy side dish or snack.

2 15-ounce cans pinto beans (with liquid)
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons diced onion
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/2 cup shredded pork (from last week's recipe)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pour entire contents of the can of pinto beans into a casserole dish (with a lid).
3. Dissolve the cornstarch in a small bowl with the 2 tablespoons of water. Add this solution to the beans and stir.
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the dish, stir well and cover.
5. Bake for 90 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Stir every 30 minutes. After removing the beans from the oven, let the beans cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish.
I cook from scratch a ton, but using canned beans like Bush's as a starter base is not only a real time saver, but the results are often indistinguishable from home-made. I don't mean just straight canned beans, but doctored up with some of your rub, some molasses, sugars, chilis, onions, herbs & spices of choice etc.

When I'm throwing out a spread of Q, my meat is my main focus (and time consumer). Especially when my canned but doctored baked beans are delicious.
Well it has been interesting to read the replies to this topic. IMHO the concept on beans from scratch is start with good dry beans and go through the whole process, not use canned beans and doctor away.
In my part of the country, baked beans have been a staple for generations, have them every Saturday night, and still do them the old fashioned New Engalnd way.

2 pounds dry beans. Use what you can find. Here in Vermont the long standard are Soldier Beans, but may use Navy beans or any good dry bean.
1/2 pound salt pork or I prefer to use a smoked pork hock.
1/4-1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2-1/3 cup molasses
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
dash of salt

pick over the beans and soak them overnight in cold water. In morning, parboil the beans until the skins crack when blown upon. drain the beans and then add them back to the pot. Cut throught the rind of the salt pork and place on top of the beans. Mix the sugar,molasses,mustard,pepper and salt with one pint of boiling water and mix well. Pour this over the beans and pork. If necessary, add more water to cover. Bake at 300 F. for 6 hours or more, adding more boiling water as the beans cook.

I usually use some maple syrup along with the molasses as this is the way it has been done in my family for generations.

One only has to try this method once to realize theat the beans should not be an after thought to good Q. Most people spend hours perfecting there meat methods, one should also do the same with beans.

Again, just my .02 worth.

peartree
Boston baked beans and Basic New Engalnd style are similar.

The major difference is the type of dried bean that is used, and maybe the addition to some good grade B maple syrup. One has to realize that there are many different kinds of dried beans. We basically use Soldier Beans, but there are also Jacobs Cattle, Red Kidney, etc. Most of the old ways are using Heirloom seeds. I plant my own , although the stores here sell the more common ones used. In some parts of the country, I will admit it is hard to find the good older varieties. Need to do a search or know the right people to get them. The old style beans are not really cheap, and a comment before about being able to buy good dry beans for $.50 is way out of line. They normally go for about 3.50 per two pound bag. I will admit that is more than buying ready prepared in some store when on sale, but there are sacrifices to make in life for the proper things. It all depends on ones willingness to adhear to tradition and flavor.

peartree51 (Dennis)
I think that one would be hard pressed today to find anyplace that carries Cranberry beans. They are an heirloom variety and all my years have never found any in any store anyplace. May be able to find them in some seed catalog, but again I have only seen them in one so far, same with soldier beans, but at least these are available in New Engalnd as marketed by the Kennebec Bean Company of North Vassalboro, Maine
I myself, just prefer to grow my own and IMO just adds to my enjoyment to the whole process. Again , just use anydry bean you can find, they all work, but may have various nuances to length of cooking to amount of tenderness, or absorption of flavorings.

peartree51
I get cranberry beans at the ValuMart grocery in Louisville. They're in a regular 1lb bag next to the pinto and lima beans. On sale every so often for $.49/bag. Can't remember the brand but it's the same as their other beans.

Looks like Bob's Red Mill brand packs cranberry beans, too.

Maybe southerners get better bean deals and variety?

Of course it'd be more interesting to grow one's own if there's room in the yard.
Well live and learn!!!! really amazing that one can get beans for such a price. I can not even buy seeds for that price. The only thing in these parts that is that cheap would be dried slit pesas for making good split pea soup. Oh well

Yes my yard is big enough, I have a 4 acre lawn and garden plot is about 200'by 75'.

Guess I will need to head south to do some shopping

peartree51
tjr,

Now you are talking. But notice the price per ounce, no way near the .69 per pound you are buying.. I guess I would assume that these are not the same beans that I was talking about that you are getting. Thanks for the web sites, I will be ordering some beans from these as spring rolls around.
Thanks again,
peartree51
Stick with canned prepared beans! Save time and headaches.

Cut up some brisket for them. I add in my rib rub, some BBQ sauce, onions, green peppers and smoke under the meat for a few hours. Then taste them to see if smokey enough. My beans rival any I have ever found. I stay away from Bush's...too soft for me. Sysco Food Service has a brand called Block and Barrel. Best you can use. Allen's is even better than Bush's....Bush's is too tinny for my taste.

I discard 1/2 the juices. Crumble up some bacon in it if you want too.

Experiment.......I want to try Durkees new St. Louis Mesquite Smokey seasoning in my next batch......they hit a home run with that!
OK , now that you guys have �he great bean recipe, now how about another to enjoy the beans. By now I am sure some of you will have planned on trying the beans.

New England Brown Bread.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole rye flour
1 cup wholw wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dark molasses
2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted shortening

Stir cornmeal,rye flour and whole wheat flour witha spoon to fluff them up before measuring. Lift lightly into cup wi�h spoon to measure. Sift cornmeal,wheat flour with soda,baking powder and salt 3x,add bran in sifterto the mixture. combine molasses,buttermilk and shortening. Add to dry ingredients amd stir untill thouroughly mixed. Spoon batter into 3 well greased molds or tin cans(2 1/2 capacity) filling them about 2/3 full(about 1 2/3 cup batter each). Cover with lids or double thick ness of waxed paper tied securely in place. Steam 1 1/2 hours or until springy when pressed and no longer sticky. cool a few minutes, then remove bread from molds and serve warm with butter.

Along with all this , try a few sprinkles of apple cider vinegar on the beans and enjoy a traditional New England SAt night supper. Use some BBQ pork or hot dags to go along.
For molds, I use coffe cans as works great.

peartree51
peartree 51,

"add bran in sifterto the mixture" does that mean (1)the little bit of bran from the ingredients that remain in the sifter or is there (2)a quantity of bran missing from the list of ingredients. I'm thinking #1, but just checking as I'm very interested in trying it.

Happy Trails
Brown bread! I can't believe it.

You seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, my mother was from New Hampshire and Boston.

Then her daddy got smart and hauled the family to Bonita Beach, Fla.

Mother did the baked beans and the brown bread and......................by god, she did...........cod fish.

Wow. Dried cod out of a little wooden box. A cream sauce.

"Eat," she commanded.

(Thinking back, it wasn't so bad...)

Ok, you Yankees, tell us about the cod.

(Extinct, is the truth of the matter, but let's hear some New England stories...)

...sorry. Getting nostalgic here. Mother's people went back a long way, and had a terribly rocky farm in New Hampshire. They cut ice out of some pond and put it in an ice house. Jeeze...
Cool
My mom used to make BBB on days when she cleaned the oven. She'd make it in small cans, like vegetable cans, and I think just set 'em in a dutch oven with an inch or so of water. The idea of cooking in tin cans always fascinated us kids - Eagle Brand pudding is another such recipe. But that's another story and one that doesn't have much at all to do with smoking or beans.
Hey guys,

Baked a batch of beans over the weekend. Used some Cranberry beans. I would not suggest these again, as they are very blah tasting to say the least. also they cooked up in about 3 hours instead of the normal 5-6 hours. I would suggest you stick with other beans you can find. Navy pea beans work well if you can't find the soldier beans or yellow eye beans.
Just a heads up on this as do not want you guys dissapointed.

peartree51
I don't think we are allowed to have those exotic type beans down here. They probably do not make enough gas to suit most. I never made baked beans out of anything except great northerns, lots of brown sugar, black pepper, salt, tomato paste, and some other secret ingredients. Makes for alot of sweet music before bedtime.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.