Skip to main content

Yeah wanted an slightly cheaper alternative to brisket. Found a number of threads here using FIND talking chuck roll. Hit YouTube and searched on Yahoo too and found our local Sam's Club had them. And thanks to the good tips I ASKED and being the butcher didn't have to do much more than cut me a 9.5 pound piece he gave me a pretty decent break on the price, $3.19 a pound, a dollar a pound less than the Angus Prime Chuck Roast price. (REMEMBER FELLAS, beef has gone up).

As Smokin' and the others say, keep it simple. Injected it with a nice beef au jus/Yoshidas and used my cowboy rub/Cookshack Brisket rub, let that sit one hour while I prepped my smoker.
2 oz of hickory and 1.5 oz red oak.
Used the BRISKET button so it'll go at 225, will smoke it until internal temp reaches 150,double wrap in hd foil and take her up to a little over 195 internal temp.
The rest of the au jus pan and some brandy goes on the shelf under the roll after 90 minutes.
Gonna let it rest 1/2 hour and then pull. Got me some nice kaiser rolls and some steak rolls from a bakery in Brooklyn. Got some red potato salad and pasta salad.

I'm adding this because I bet there are a lot of guys/gals out there that want great beefy tasting beef but have trouble finding awesome briskets or HATE the yield/loss with that cut of meat. Thanks to all of you guys, man I read some REAL OLD posts from fellas who don't seem to be here any more. Thanks to all of you.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 1240100_10151770696832239_325722837_n
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks Pags, coming from you that is a real compliment. I checked it a couple times, at about 4 1/2 hours the ends were at 155 and the middle at 148. I doubled foiled it then. Man after about 15 minutes it REALLY started smelling good. I tell you this is what I call Chamber of Commerce weather here today, a great day to be outside smoking a beef chuck roll.

Got a cigar and maybe a brandy set aside for after dinner. I'll add a shot of the roast once it's cooked off before I tear into it.
This turned out quite nicely, it really is the pulled pork of beef. LOL. The au jus in the smoker kept the environment really moist, which I think helped keep it from drying out too much before I foiled it. My butcher really trimmed it down a lot, the au jus injection really saved this cut.

Here's a shot of it partially pulled. Next time if I was doing this for everyday eating for me, I'd just get the two pack of beef chuck roasts and roast one, freeze the other. My MIL and next door neighbor will be eating well Saturday. I was so bushed I barely ate a french dip sammich and packed all the food up and cleaned the kitchen.

Try it though it is a nice alternative to brisket.

I went with au jus with a small amount of Yoshidas Teriyaki marinade for my injection. Man you really need to inject this cut. The au jus to serve on the side is this same canned au jus with a hefty glut of brandy. Couldn't taste the brandy so next time I'll just use the au jus. When the meat cooled I put it and the au jus in the same large container. I pulled a bunch for my FIL today (a great old grouchy Marine) and marvel at home much it FEELS like pork butt when you pull it. I learned from this forum (Smokin') to hand pull. I like to FEEL what I'm saving and what I'm gonna weed out.

Great stuff. My wife had me break up some for her and she got converted having it. And she "doesn't like" beef. But she likes this because: "it's not red and there's no fat." Which this is.

Like I said next time I do one three pound roast same way. It'll be the right amount for me and my cat.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.