Skip to main content

About a month ago I made the trip to Sam's for some supplies(foil,gloves) and to check out the meat cooler for a brisket. Probably should have talked to a meat cutter because the packers was a little skimpy, but hey I did find a 7.5 lb CAB brisket flat that was even in thickness. Being the only CAB brisket in the cooler I carted it home and threw it in my homemade wet aging cooler. I know you need a kill date, but hey you do what you have to do.

Got the flat out Friday afternoon and injected it with some of Dave's(Butchers) injection and then got a chance to try out my "new" Phoenix Competition rub. After smelling/tasting it before hand I compared it a lot to Fast Eddy's competition rub, maybe a little more brown sugar in it. I added some black pepper and garlic to the brisket also.

Turned out nice, somehow I must to have gotten lucky and cooked it till it was fork tender. Nice flavor, my stupid buddy Tim said it was the best yet, but what does he know...LOL!

I thought maybe it needed a little thicker coating of rub on it, which I normally do, but the rub container scared me when it said dry heat, oh well. I'll try more next time, but overall, a fine well balanced rub.

Anyone else use their new rubs or sauces?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well. Since you're interested, all of iSmoke's rub and sauces past the finger test. No double dipping.

Last night I used the Big Nasty's Beef Seasoning with worcestershire sauce on a rib eye steak, smoked and finished on the grill. Excellent. I used it on the rib eye cause it looked and tasted similar to a steak rub. It did a very nice job.

I also smoked some BBQ Baked Beans to go along with the rib eye and used Sweet Spirit Foods Medium Barbecue Sauce, a local fund raiser sauce as I've mentioned. It has a little kick, the family raved about the beans. So the sauce must get some credit.

Except for the opened Big Nasty that's now in the fridge, all my exchange sauces/rubs are sitting on the kitchen island just like they were when I took the picture. I like looking at them. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
...Probably should have talked to a meat cutter because the packers was a little skimpy, but hey I did find a 7.5 lb CAB brisket flat ...

I went to Sam's this past week, and you'll have to hear this, but two CAB packers, both 18 lb's with VERY thick ends. I was surprised. Maybe when people come down for the reunion, we'll have to go shopping Big Grin
Smoked a brisket using Brisket of Love BBQ Rub from Steve Chris10sen. Passed the prob test at 203*. Used Burnt Ends 101 and have good supply for future use. Served brisket with Ditka's BBQ Sauce on the side (smothered burnt ends with it during their additional 2 hour cook). Ditka's was good, but the rub was great! The meat was tender and very flavorful. Loved the bark which I think the sugar in the rub enhanced. Sweet and spicy, here are the ingredients:

Cane sugar, brown sugar, Hungarian sweet paprika, salt, ancho chile, Tellicherry pepper, Worchestershire powder, cayenne, celery seed, garlic, New Mexican chiles, coriander, green onion, citric acid and mesquite smoke powder.

The smoke powder might be a no-no for real BBQ, but at least it's the last ingredient!?!

Doing St. Louis ribs for a family get together this Sunday, will have to decide what to use. Going to sauce three of the five slabs.
quote:
ingredients:

Cane sugar, brown sugar, Hungarian sweet paprika, salt, ancho chile, Tellicherry pepper, Worchestershire powder, cayenne, celery seed, garlic, New Mexican chiles, coriander, green onion, citric acid and mesquite smoke powder.

The smoke powder might be a no-no for real BBQ, but at least it's the last ingredient!?!

The ingredient list is appreciated as it gives me ideas for my homemade rub!! I have not received my box yet but should be here tomorrow. Can't wait!! Joe M was kind enough to allow me to pay him to send me a sampler box of Carolina sauces and rubs and they are absolutely wonderful. These to will give me ideas on how to improve my homemade yellow sauce. Thanks again Joe! This exchange has been an awesome thing and I am sure will continue to grow over time and hopefully become a semi annual event. What an awesome group of people on this forum!!!!
Smoked the salmon today. I brined it in the Seafood Brine Spices in my Exchange Package from iSmoke. Took it out of the wet brine, thoroughly rinsed it, dried it, then let it set in the fridge for 4 hrs to develope the pellicle. Painted the salmon with pure maple syrup just before placing it into the smoker, 235*, hickory. 1.5 hrs to internal 150*. Delicious. Moist and flavorful.

I should take a piture of my BBQ rubs and spices. I'm taking over the pantry. Cool You know this BBQ habit is taking control when you suggest to your wife a couple ways to expand the pantry. Big Grin
Made 5 pcs boneless skinless chicken breast on the pg 500 tonight.
Used my 3 new rubs, each on one peice of chicken. The other 2 pcs got John Henrys Mohave Garlic which is the wifes favorite on chicken-- hey had to keep the wife happy.

The three Rubs were.
Smokin Guns, Dr bbq Big Time and 17th st Magic Dust.

They all were great and had such different flavors. Oddly enough my favorite by just finger test was the Dr Bbq but on the chicken it actually came in third place for me.

The 17th st magic dust took 1st followed by a close 2nd with the Smokin Guns.

I still love the taste of the Dr Bbq Big Time and thinking it would be much nicer on a butt.

Funny thing is the other day when I had my wife finger test the rubs her favorite at the time was the Dr bbq and when she tasted the Smokin Guns she said "oh thats horrible" well guess which one was her favorite on chicken -- smokin guns.

Next test will be Habenero Death Dust and some Smoque sauce from my birth place Chicago.

Thanks again Andy for introducing me to these new fine rubs. And again thanks Padre, Smokin and CS,this truly has been fun.
Made some ribs today, used some Dr. BBQ's spicy rub and sauced with Jan's Sweet Sauce that I received from GaryT in the exchange. WOW!!!! That is some good stuff! I'm normally not a sweet sauce person, but that is some GOOD stuff. My neighbor went nuts about it too.

Gary, I NEED the recipe. Please, please, please!!!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.