Skip to main content

Just bought a 2 year old FEC 100 and love it. I do have a problem with it. Sometime when I set it for a long cook 12-14 hrs overnite, when I get up in the morning it has losts it's fire and the pot is full of pellets? What would cause this problem? I shut it off clean out the pot and turn it back on and it fires up and works fine? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Glenn
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Could be... these pits cook just fine without any exhaust modifications... I personally only have an elbow on mine... mainly to direct smoke a bit and keep wind from directly entering through the exhaust. Any modifications to the exhaust can have consequences...

I would turn your pit away from wind entering directly into the exhaust if possible.

But take a peek at that firepot!

Nordy
People are right about the exhaust issues, etc. but please call Cookshack before you try anything.

I plowed through a year of theories about my exhaust venting, temp settings, ash-in-the-firepot, etc. before I replaced the firepot on my 2010 built unit. I used to get flame-outs 1-3 times a cook, and now I haven't had a single flame out in 6 months. It's a dramatic improvement.

The units made 2 years ago had cast iron firepots. Cookshack starting putting these in because they were cheaper than the fabricated stainless steel pots. (Refreshing that customer service actually volunteered this information to me, vs. trying to cover it up or spin it.)

Does the edge of the fireport extend slightly above the box that it's set in, or is it flush? If it's not flush, it's a cast iron firepot and needs to be replaced. The cast iron firpot also have a sharply sloped bottom, and the stainless steel one is almost flat.

People on this forum are reporting it's free even if you aren't the original owner. No reason not to call - you will be much happier with your FEC100 if you make the swap.
Thanks to everyone for their help. I talked with Bill from Cookshack, what a great guy. He is sending me a new pot and says that will take care of it ( no charge). Wow I'm the second owner of this fec 100 and he still did not charge me. I will pass the word about these great cookers you can be sure. Thanks again everyone.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.