Skip to main content

Well the issue of the FEC-100 going out and the bowl filling up with pellets. Happened twice last night.

I want to say I am NOT bashing or raising cane, rather going to put my experience here for others who may find themselves in the same position.

I called customer service and they say my FEC-100 that is mfg on 3/3/11 has the current firepot. I thought I had read where the updated fire box was MFG in July of 11.
They seem to think its an air issue. I did finally find an elbow and rain guard that would fit and it ran perfectly the rest of the day.

Hopefully this will fix any problems, but for a while I will keep using my Guru ProCom4 to monitor temps to make sure I know if there is a large change in temp.

Will keep you informed with the progress.

I did not call with a chip on my shoulder this morning, and CS was very nice and I feel if there is an issue, they will get it handled.

Brisket was amazing by the way.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What's interesting is that "normally" the fire going out has been an issue for people that added a vent (restricting/changing airflow).

Key is when does it go out. Did it actually ever start? Did it start and then a few hours into it go out?

Flameouts (not ignitor/ignition issues) aren't normal for these without airflow being somehow related. Could also be fan issues (no air moving).
I think there were airflow issues with the cast iron pots... Some people had problems, some didn't.

Cal is right... that's the best way to check (after it cools down!!!) But this one looks cast.

I'd keep cooking with a monitor and with no stack. If it happens again, you may need to send some pics to CS and get a new pot.

Could be an air issue from the exhaust side but that usually occurs with restriction of the outflow... or with wind directly into the pipe. Sounds like you ran better with the elbow on.

Should run without any exhaust without any problems.

CS will make it right... just do a little more playing to see whats up. May have just been a fluke and never happen again...

JN
Thanks everyone, it went out 5 hours into the cook, then again 3 hours after I restarted it.

I had cleaned it well before I started it each time.

I should clarify that I actually did not put the elbow on, it was the rain guard, I just set it on so it would not allow wind to blow in.
quote:
I should clarify that I actually did not put the elbow on, it was the rain guard, I just set it on so it would not allow wind to blow in.

That could create enough back pressure to choke out the fire.

The SS Firepot is easy to install. a couple of screws and the piece slides out from underneath the pellett ramp. I take mine out after about 10 cooks to clean out the fines that acculumate in the air duct below and behing the SS firepot just to reduce debris accumulating.
quote:
Originally posted by David Qualls:

That could create enough back pressure to choke out the fire.

The fire went out twice before I put anything on the exhaust. After I put the rain guard on the exhaust it did not go out again.

CS was great and has a new part coming to me.
quote:
Originally posted by Shooters BBQ:
how hard are the pots to change out?

I had a bunch of issues with my first unit and after it was all said and done I believe it was the cast fire pot that was causing them. Mine is in our garage with nothing attached to the vent.

I was a little concerned about getting the new piece to fit tight so I added a long hose clamp around the left side of it. If there is any gap at all, this will affect it. If they leak air I believe the fan runs harder and the pellet usage goes way up. My holes in the stainless update they sent didn't align quite right so the clamp took care of it.

As far as changing, I took the big black sheet cover off of the hopper side (4 screws I believe) and slid it out because there is a zip strip holding the extra wire together for the hot rod and this is the only way to get to it easily. Then there are just two screws holding in the pot and 2 more holding the hot rod. Make sure you vacuum out the air chamber while you have it out. Fire pot should slide out to the right but mine was pretty tight.

I recently bought a second used unit that the guy was selling after giving up on getting his going. It had a cast pot in it as well. Ended up buying a stainless pot and installing it. I have done 4 loads of butts and 2 rounds of brisket, all 12 hour + cooks, with no issues. Runs just like my other one. Tried to tell the guy who was selling it how to fix it but he had already bought a replacement.
Last edited by mbailey
Just for curiosity sake, what program does your's have in it?

If you have the power on and hit reset there will be a FE- ##. I don't even know the differences in the programs but I wouldn't want the one that relights on it's own as they get extremely hot when the pellets relight and it will then trip the hi limit switch, and usually melt the door gasket.

Been there, done that! Smiler
UPDATE

Got the new firepot installed and was a little concerned about the space between the top part of the firepot and the piece its mounted to. There is like a 1/16" space where it does not mount flush.

I have cooked on it for well over 40 hours though with out one issue so not too worried right now. I may have to take the pot off a little more often to clean out ash but it sure is working great.
I have not had a problem with my FEC since changing out the firepot until yesterday. 17 hours into briskets and butts the fire went out! I caught it with my remote alarm, cleaned out the pot and restarted without issue. The food was a big hit. Maybe Cookshack will come up with an integrated remote temperature monitor?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.