Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nice job. It's always great when your BBQ comes out good. Some of the experts around here recommend Smokin' Okie's "toothpick test." Simply take a toothpick, poke the ribs, and when you can't hardly feel any resistance, then your ribs are done. Depending on the type of rib and your temperature, this is usually around 4 hours or so.
Last edited by bluesbq
It's nice to have success on your first try.

If you would like a tip, I would say don't listen to the roommate. While some off sets and free flowing smokers need to have the ribs foiled. Most of the fine cooks on the forum will tell you that ribs can be made in the CS without the use of foil and will turn out as good, with better texture. Too each his own.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
It's nice to have success on your first try.

If you would like a tip, I would say don't listen to the roommate. While some off sets and free flowing smokers need to have the ribs foiled. Most of the fine cooks on the forum will tell you that ribs can be made in the CS without the use of foil and will turn out as good, with better texture. Too each his own.

My roommate does agree with the not needing to wrap. It was another thing he found on a forum and thought it would be a easy try. I will definitely try without wrapping.
Lots of newer cooks want to turn out "THE PERFECT MEAT" on the first try,so we try all "1,000 greatest secrets" to get the one item there.

When all the tricks seem "simple" to do,maybe we should think about the good cook,out at the county fair,that turns out the couple hundred slabs of fine quality product every weekend with an FEC.

I wonder if they take the time/trouble to do all 1,000 greatest tips to every slab,every time?

Just something to think about when Smokin'Okie keeps saying"learn your cooker and learn to cook the meat".Maybe all these experienced cooks that keep saying KISS are onto something? Big Grin

You can always learn tricks and apply them one at a time,when you know what the changes do and how to use them if required.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.