Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Tom,

I did some whole turkeys in my 500 this past christmas. And They did great. I would treat the parts like you would your chicken and just watch your internal meat temps to tell when your done. If you have parted them out 4 hours may be about right. It will still depend on the weight of the bird.
quote:
Originally posted by RandyE:
Hey Tom,

I did some whole turkeys in my 500 this past christmas. And They did great. I would treat the parts like you would your chicken and just watch your internal meat temps to tell when your done. If you have parted them out 4 hours may be about right. It will still depend on the weight of the bird.

Why thank you very much. I'm wondering still if 250 is the right temp?
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
For poultry in the FE, I like to smoke a little then finish on 325. Like to crispen up the skin.

Timing is tricky, but one of the advantages of the FE is you can turn up the heat when you need more.
Ok thanks. I'll try that with the ribs to. I got 3 racks of ribs above the turkey parts right now. I'm going to sauce my ribs after 3 hrs. I hope it turns out.
I use Alton Brown's method. I cook the rib roast, bone in, at 240* until I hit an internal temp of 112*. Then I take it out and let it cool to room temperature. I fire up my oven to 500* and put the roast back in for 15-20 minutes to crisp up the fat. There is very little juice loss, and the meat stays pink from the outer edge to the middle. Always very tasty.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.