Skip to main content

Hi everyone..well here I am again asking for help. Two weeks ago my FEC100 stopped working. You guys talked me through it and I found the reset button and it started. I have not used it since then. Today I fired it up and the igniter did not fire.I hit the reset button hoping that it would help..but needless to say it did not.The operator's manual says to put some pellets and squirt with alcohol light a match to get things burning. I can do that..but will I have to manually light from now on or will this kick start somthing that I do not understand??It also says to use Alcohol on the pellets..here is the silly qustion..do they me rubbing alcohol or booze. Can I use a little BBq fire starter instead..I await your wisdom..Rob
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've heard of using sterno or something like that, but I'm not sure about rubbing alcohol. Is the fan working? If so, it's getting power and hitting the reset won't do anything.

Anytime mine has failed to light, I made sure it had pellets in the firepot, turned it off, and turned it back on. The problem was not having enough pellets to get the fire started before the ignitor shut off.

Someone with more knowledge than me will have to help you out.
quote:
Originally posted by KAPN:
Rob,
Was your firepot empty of ashes?
I you have a couple of inches of old ash in there from the last cook, the pellets will not get near the igniter.
I vacumn mine after each cook.

TIM

This is spot on an excellent point. What CAN happen, if you don't clean it out REAL good, it the ash can compact around the igniter and almost solidify.

Depending on when it was purchased, there are full length igniters, partial length, and stubs. Just keep it clear around it.

IF it's clean then trouble shoot it.

Start the smoker with a clean pot.

Put a small handful of pellets in the pot.

If it starts, good

If it doesn't it might be the igniter.

Call CS Monday.
Hi everyone..thanks for your help. I fired my FEC100 today..I had to do it manually again. Yes,I clean the firebox after every cook.I am very careful to not take it for granted..plus it takes so little timeto do so...Any more suggestions?? By the way I just bought this smoker in march. As I had mentioned in the past few notes,I had to find the reset button a few weeks ago to get it started and this is the first time since then that I have used it. I never had any issues with it before then. I just don't understand why she won't fire.Rob
You will want to fix the glow rod for sure. If you have a tech guy, have him check out the ignition relay. This sends 12 Volts DC to the rod when the unit is first started. If the relay (mechanical) is not activating you will need help on the control circuit. If you look in your book you will see the diagram.
On the alcohol, they make an alcohol gell used in starting charcoal. Much safer. Walmart carries it.
Had a problem with my 100 not running Saturday. Started it with a half cup of pellets soaked in rubbing alcohol. Got up to 150 and backed off, hand fed a few more and it got up to 180 and backed off. Left it alone and cooked on my other 100. Got in Sunday from golf and pulled the end panel. I discovered that the two screws holding the auger motor to the bracket had backed out. Broke an 8mm wrench in half (you have about two inches to maneuver three fingers a 1/2 in. screw and a wrench) and re-attached the motor. It fired on its own and hit 250 in its normal 15 minutes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.