Skip to main content

I have a Cookshack Super Smoker Oven Model 206 that was given to me. I have tried searching the internet and these forums but I can't find any info on it. Thought maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

It says it is the model 206 and was manufactured on 12-31-1986. It also says it can run on 120v or 240v (15 amp 3050 watt) power. The problem is, it currently has a 4 prong 240v power cord and there is no schematic inside for rewiring it to run on 120 volt. So I have no idea how to rewire it inside the rear panel for 110v. And I REALLY don't want to run a 220v line from the panel without knowing if the smoker even still works.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Toxarch
I don't have info on your model. I can tell you how most machines using two heaters (or windings in motors) achieve dual voltage. The best way I can descibe it is to picture each one of your hands as a heating element. Put your hands out in front of you palms down and curl your middle fingers in so just your thumb and pinky finger are sticking out. Now put your hands together so your thumbs touch. The two hot wires of 240 volts (usually one black and one red) are connected to your pinkies. (your thumbs are connected together) This is called wiring the elements in series. This is how they would be wired for 240 volts.

Now if you keep your thumbs and pinkies the same and this time put one hand on top of the other. The two thumbs are connected together and the pinkies are connected together. Tie the thumbs to EITHER the red or black wire, and tie the pinkies to the neutral wire (usually white). This is called wiring the two elements in parallel.

That is the best I can do without drawing a diagram. It's a silly way to descirbe it but I'm a picture guy.

My best advice - Call Cookshack tomarrow! They will be able to help you.

Also, I have a 205. It has a wiring diagram inside the back cover - on the back of the unit, not the back of the control panel.

hope this helps.
Give me a call (800) 423-0698 here at cookshack and I can email you a wiring diagram for your smoker. You will need to run 220 volts to your oven even though your elements are 110 volts. One element runs off the Black and Nuetral wires and the other runs off the Red and Nuetral. If you wire it strictly 110 volts to your oven, your amp draw will be too high.

Bill
Cookshack Customer Service
Thanks for the responses guys.

Hayman, I did open up the back panel and there is no diagram inside or outside. These heating coils are not run in series. One element is run off the red wire and the other element is run off the black wire. Both share the same wire that is connected to the neutral. That is why I was wondering is it would be OK to put a jumper between the red and the black and then wire it up for 120v. I have a 120v 20 amp breaker plug near where the smoker is going to go.

Bill, I got a pdf of the manual from Stuart this morning. If you can send me a wiring diagram, I would really appreciate it. Would anything in the unit be damaged if I wire it up for 120v? Or would the only thing that happens is the breaker would trip?

Maybe I can find 2 plugs that are out of phase and run two power cords. Then I can test the unit and see if it even still works before I run a new line from the service panel.
I have a 220v plug in the back of the garage. I guess it's for an extra dryer. I thought about making a long extension cord to run it off that plug, but the plug is a 220v plug and the smoker needs a 3 wire 220v plug with the neutral. If it were one of the newer dryer plugs, then I would be alright. Haven't opened it up yet to see if it has a neutral in there or not.
I had a thought while driving home earlier. What if I wire it up for 110v, jumper the 2 hot connectors together, and then disconnect one of the elements? That would cut the amperage draw down to a safe level for a 20 amp plug. I am just doing a slow smoke of probably 2 briskets at the most. Do I really need both elements going? Like I said, just a thought.
OK, so I rewired it temporarily for 110v. The display worked fine, and I set it for 30 minutes. Figured the breaker would trip but it didn't. After 15 minutes, I checked the heating elements... no heat. The relay wasn't kicking on. Hit the oven temp button and it shows 499 degrees. I tried disconnecting the internal thermometer and the lower thermometer (I guess that's what the lower one is) and it made no difference.

Any ideas of what I can check on it? I'd hate to have it almost working and not be able to use it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.