Skip to main content

Fellow pellet pals, I just got my FEC 100. Moments ago I put on a packer brisket. Hickory pellets, 2nd shelf, starting at 180 for at least 2-3 hours or until I get sleepy. Then I am going to ramp it up to 225 and finish her off! I didn't get the probe, so I'll check temps in the AM. Am I missing anything? I do have a question: when I change the time & temp, its going to ask me how long to keep it on at 225, what do I put in?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just responded to your PM, but here in the forum is better, so we can share the help:

Wood matters for SR. I love Cherry, but use what you have. For your first one go with 180 for 4 hours, then bump the temp to 250.

If you have an IQ, you can do this simple.

Set time at 4 hours, put temp at 180. Set hold temp at 250.

When it hits 4 hours, it will "hold" at 250. Lots of comp people do that.

As it's your first cook, I would watch it,to make sure it does fine.

Put it in either of the two middle shelves, fat DOWN and just move it at one point sometime during the smoke (fat tends to sink into the shelve then the brisket sticks. Just move it from that spot so it unsticks.

yes, fat down.

Smokin'

p.s. Us the "find" button on the top line, and search just the Pellet Open Forum. You'll get 12 pages of responses, lot of help there also. If you use find, it will search in just the forum you are in (you have to click advanced to get ALL forums). You want to use only the FE forums.

Search on "Brisket" in FE Open forum
Smokin, thanks for the info! The brisket came out pretty well. The kids, wife & people next door all loved it. I thought the flat was dry & the deckle was perfect! I did the poke test & used a bio therm. It was at 190 ish when I pulled it. I wrapped it & hit it with apple juice. Sat for 3+ hours. Them cooled it. Sliced it 5 hours later, poured some coke over it with some Blues Hog & it was dinner time.
I ended up not knowing how to use the the IQ. So I let it ride at 180 for about 3 hours fat side up! (why down???) Then I hit reset & turned it on 11 hours at 250.
Bark was good, Hickory pellets worked fine & I used DP Red Eye Express. Flavor was great. Pls give me your feedback. Thanks Jeff
Smokin' will probably check in directly.

A couple quick thoughts are,we tend to put the fat side between the direct heat source and the flat.

Thus,fatside down.

Not knowing the quality of your packer,190 ish doesn't mean too much.

Was the therm probe in the deepest part of the flat?

Did the therm probe pass all the way thru the flat,like butter?

If not,it probably was undercooked.

The other extreme,is, if the "deckle"/point was perfect-the flat could be overcooked.

Let us know.
Down is because the heat from the bottom, with the design of the FE, really protects the meat side.

I am not a believe in the "fat up" theory that the fat drips down through the meat. After a point in cooking the protein in the meat will seize up and nothing will drip down through it.

You can always try you own methods, but a dry flat wasn't because of the fat down. Too many people win ribbons with brisket in the FE and I know a bunch of them do fat down. I've done fat up, fat down and flipping. My best have been fat down no flip.

The fat inside the brisket itself will keep it moist.

I think the 3 hours in smoke has an effect also.

Did you wrap it at all in foil? Some will do that after it gets to a certain stage.

And of course, try your next one, do it fat up and it will probably come out perfect.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.