I purchased a NOS (new old stock) SM008 a few weeks ago. I have already enjoyed several racks of spare ribs as well as chicken from this smoker.

One small issue. I place an oven thermometer inside the SM008 to get a temp reading. Even when I turn the thermostat up to 250, the warmest my SM008 will get is around 200 degrees. I plan to buy a new thermometer to double check this.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, does it warrant calling customer service? Or should I be content with 200 degrees.

Darryl
Original Post
Did you check the calibration of your thermometer? Is this 200 with food loaded in the unit?

I would not be content with 200 degrees and would call customer service if your readings are accurate.
Are you sure your oven thermostat is accurate. When you get your new thermometer, place it in boiling water. It should read 212* Then check against the Cookshack setting.

If you're really not getting over 200* with the Cookshack set to 250*, Cookshack will help you.
Thanks guys...I used the oven thermometer and also placed a digital probe. I'm going to get a new oven thermometer and test it in my oven. I plan to smoke more ribs over the weekend and will test it again. If it is still low, I'll call customer service.

Thanks for the feedback.
Did you test the accuracy of your probes? 212 in boiling water and 32 in a cup of crushed ice.
Last edited by wheelz
Well, I validated my digital thermometer today. It is pretty much spot on based on the temp of ice cubes and boiling water.

Smoked 3 full racks of baby backs today. They came out perfectly. So, the 197 to 200 degree temp is not messing up my ribs. Still, I may call customer service next week.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Darryl

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.