Skip to main content

Pulled this off the old cookshack site, wanted to post some of the "best of".
Please add your information that you've learned so others may learn.

AAHH, you're gonna love this one -- it has apple in it.

This is a GREAT basic mop for pork.

Feel free to doctor it up, but you have to post your recipe here Big Grin

I have no idea where this originated, I got it and modified it after someone else modified it... so here it is to enjoy for all.

I use this on pulled pork starting about 1/2 way through cooking (after the smoke stops).

Mop this on the pork warm. I've also used this on the meat when it's done -- I just spoon some sauce over pulled pork right on the bun.

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce

(makes about 5 cups)
  • 4 cups apple juice
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 4 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3 bay leaf
  • 6 cloves of garlic
  • 2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min.

I make extra and put it in the fridge and it should last for a couple of months. But it's never around that long.

When I put some pork in food saver bags, I'll put some of this sauce in there with it -- when I reheat the pork it taste just like the first time.

Enjoy it.
good Q'in
smokin okie
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Are you thinking of putting it in the pan with the PB?

I would use it as a baste, after the 4 hour point. I'm just not a fan of the "pan" method of doing PB's.

You could certainly try it and see. I think what will happen is the liquid will evaporate over time and you'll either concentrate the flavor or just need to add some more.
quote:
Originally posted by DWB:
Are the garlic cloves kept whole, simmered and removed. Or are they crushed and incorporated?

Thanks.

All of the above, just depends on your personal prefer (or not) for garlic. I tend to cook them in then strain out the "chunks" but other times, heck I left them in.

How's that for no help Big Grin
Works for me.

I was at work while the shoulders were smoking. I asked my wife to make the slaw and sauce based on the recipe's I was e-mailing to her.

She asked the question and I had no idea if it mattered. We crushed them and I filtered the chunks after it all cooled.

Waiting on the pork to try it.....

Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by Big Tub:
Can I ask again: when do you use the vinegar based mop and when the apple juice based sauce?

It's kinda like asking when to use mustard and when to use ketchup.

It's strictly up to your taste buds. I prefer the vinegar mostly because it think it just work well with pork for our taste buds.
Smokin's recipe at the top of this thread can be used as a mop or finishing sauce. I use it as a finishing sauce as Cookshack smokers are designed to retain moisture. Were I using my offset for PB's I'd follow Smokin's advice and begin mopping once the internal meat temp was above 165. That way the rub has ample time to settle in and do its magic.
Tried Smokins' recipe x 8 for my nieces wedding and it turned out killer. Cooked 16 pork butts in my Fec-100 and 4 more in an electric Cookshack, used the finishing sauce and everyone loved it. I sprayed it over the butts several times while cooking and poured it over after pulling the pork. Thanks Smokin'.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinDtown:
To smoking okie! I couldn't find the rub recipe you use on your butts. I am making your serving sauce, and want to know if the recipe is available.
Thanks in advance.

Not sure I've ever posted a rub recipe for PB. I'll have to look at my pork rub and see if I'm ready to share...
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:

Not sure I've ever posted a rub recipe for PB. I'll have to look at my pork rub and see if I'm ready to share...

I got this from another thread. You mentioned:
"Well, I'll look up my rubs for butts, but here's some more suggestions from Pork Butt 101 (which you get to from the guide page at the top of the page)."

So I thought you had posted it somewhere, but couldn't find it. The thread is a few years old, and I just figured asking you again would be the next step.

I misunderstood the situation. Sorry.
Regards,
Chris

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.