Skip to main content

I've been smoking summer sausage and snack stickes in my CS55 with great success. When smoking sausage your first objective is to get the casing dry/tacky prior to intruducing any smoke. This has been very easy to accomplish in my electric cookshack.

I've got a buddy that wants me to smoke about 40 pounds of Elk snack sticks and this would take several batches in the 55. I'd like to try and do them all at once using the FEC100. Has anyone ever used their FEC100 for smoking sticks/summer sausages? I'm stumped as to how I can get a dry casing in the FEC100 without introducing smoke. I've had an acrid taste to my sticks before when I added smoke too early in the 55.

Any ideas would certainly be appreciated. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smokin
What I normally do in the 55 is run it with no wood in the box for the first 1-2 hours at temp of 100*. I also crack the door open to help moisture escape. When the casings feel dry to the touch I then put wood in the box and slowly raise temps over the next few hours not to exceed about 175*. The key is to cook/smoke the meat without rendering the fat to a temp around 155-160.

The smoke won't penetrate the casings until they are dry. And from my experience if I add smoke when they are still wet I get an odd (acrid)taste to the sticks.

I've got the IQ4 controller. What I might try is to crack the door on the FEC while the controller is set at it's lowest (I think it's 140). This should allow the cabinet to heat up but also would allow some smoke to escape.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.