Skip to main content

I'm going to buy a pellet cooker in the next week or so but can't make up my mind...I've been cooking on a (loaner) Traeger 075 for a few weeks and (generally) like the results. I'm considering the Traeger 150. But, I want to control the temp in less than 25 degree increments. I've checked heat distribution on the 075 and found intermittent 20˚ to 30˚ differences in temp from end to end.
I've heard the FEC100 has infinite temperature adjustment, but from what I've read in these forums, there seems to be occasional problems with the controller. Is this isolated? Several posts talk about 'breaking in' the controller and hard to push buttons? Many owners say the temp will hold to within 2-3 degrees, while others have a problem with higher temps (20-30˚) than the controller's setting. Is there a problem with consistency from one cooker to another?
What is heat distribution like from top to bottom, is there a tendency for the upper or lower shelves to be hotter/colder?
I've seen a few posts about transporting the cooker lying down, but can't find very many details. (I tried the search, even tried 'transporters' as suggested in a post)
If I buy the FEC100, I plan to build a carrier. Is there any position (other than face down) that will damage the cooker during transport? Are there parts that can come loose?
I planned to go to Ponca City to look at one close up and get answers to these silly questions, but they're not open on Saturdays.... There's no doubt that Traeger vs FEC100 is like Apples vs Oranges... I like both but need to figure out if the expensive option is the best choice....Better to appear stupid by asking silly questions BEFORE spending the $$$.
Time to start practicing...I'm used to cooking on a GoodOne Model 60, I'll have to learn how to cook all over again.
PepperMike
Firebreathers Barbecue
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure of the dates, but go to the Stillwater KCBS contest (april) and it's open on Saturday's. Quite a few FE's there to talk with.

Keep in mind, you get more "negative" comments in forums because when there is an issue you HAVE to ask to get help. Not everyone who buys one HAS to come and tell us how good it is.

Pick up on thing from the CS forum, the users here will help and CS stands behind it's products completely (better than just about anyone out there)
I feel the FEC100 has more features on the up side than the Treager.

The double wall construction will save a lot on pellets, and will prevent temp swings in wind. The FEC100 will use less pellets per hour, and that will add up over the life of the cooker. I will average less than a pound of pellets an hour, even with 60lbs of meat.

The controller will give you the ability to fine tune you temps at 2 degree setting. The ablility to use the temp probe to turn the unit off, and to be able to run it for a perion of time, and then drop the temp down to a hold temp. The options are very wide.

Never heard of anyone having to break in the controller. Buttons are easy to push.

Only issue if the unit is outside in the weather when the temps drop below 30 degrees. The screen will start to fade out. Placed a plastic bag over the controller then, and the heat from the unit allowed it to stay warm enough to be read.

The unit is ss inside and out, easy to keep clean.

If you lay the unit on its back to travel, the shelves will get out of place. It wil take a few minutes to get them back in place. 2-3 minutes

There are many things on the up side of the FEC100.

Like Smokin says, check out the teams winning with the unit. The FEC100 would be a smart move.

RandyE
Thanks for the replies.
The wheeled 'carrier' I've designed will have 10" fixed & 5" swivel wheels and would allow me to lay the cooker down on the side opposite the pellet hopper, (holding it up). When upright, the handle will double as a tray support, once I figure out where to put the stack....It's still a work in progress. Shoot, I haven't even bought the smoker and I'm already figuring out how to load/unload/transport it.
What about heat distribution, what's the difference top to bottom?
I've read that I can buy a set of shelf support brackets to hold (7) shelves but didn't find this option on the website. Is it a special order (expensive) option? The price of the meat temp probe is scary, I want to figure out all the options I want before buying.
By the way, if I buy from a dealer, have there been any changes in the last year? If I buy a 2007 or 2008 model from inventory, is it the same as this year's model? How can I tell what year model I'm buying?
Thanks again for all the help...
PepperMike
Last edited by Former Member
We have carried the last four models of FEC 100 s all over the southeast,for about four years,in the least expensive lawn mower trailer that Lowe's sells,that it will barely wedge into.

We cater ,vend,do mostly comps,haul and cook in driving rain and wind.

Drop them,stick them in sand,sod,and mud.

If we screw them up,due to operator error,service talks us thru fixes, on their watts,ships parts ahead of us to make the next commitment.

Run them on the worst irregular power imaginable,run them off boat batteries,work them like borrowed mules.

If you can mess with them more than we have,you could screw up a steel ball with a rubber mallet.

Mine set out in the nightly salt storms at the beach in south Florida,cook around the clock.high winds ,the 2 nd worst lightning in the US,

At comps,we put the big meats on about 8 PM,1000 miles haul from home,go to the motel,come back at daylight to put the ribs on.

Send me the name of another cooker you'd spend a couple thousand for the weekend and do that.

Call sales and service,and let them presolve your special needs.

Just my $0.02
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:

Run them on the worst irregular power imaginable,run them off boat batteries,work them like borrowed mules.

If you can mess with them more than we have,you could screw up a steel ball with a rubber mallet.

Call sales and service,and let them presolve your special needs.

Just my $0.02

I AM the guy that could screw up that steel ball!

Thanks for the advice...

I just sent an email to CS sales with all my questions and hope to hear from them before I make the wrong decision and buy the wrong smoker (not FEC100)
I'm really trying to convince myself, just need to have all the questions answered...there are no excuses later.
Ordered the FEC 100 today. I have lots of ideas about wheels & a transport frame. I'll start rounding up material but can't start cutting & welding til' I have the cooker on hand for 'hard' measurements. I haven't slept much since first thinking about parting with the $$ for this....now I won't be able to sleep til' it's on new wheels and smokin'.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.