Skip to main content

I am smoking a 24lb Prime Brisket tonight in my Smokette.  I usually smoke briskets in the 10-14 lb range.   I am looking for any ideas on what temp I should be cooking this at and perhaps some idea of time it may take. Also looking for direction on what temp to start testing for doneness  Any direction is appreciated

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow! That's one honkin' brisket! I dunno, I've always allowed 2hrs per pound so it will definitely be an overnight cook. I'd starting for the overnight at 200F, probably around 6 - 7 pm, and checking in the am to see what it's doing. I'd guess increasing to 225 in the early am, and watching the IT as it goes through the stall. If you can place multiple therms, more info is better. I'd suggest avoiding the urge to kick up the temp to speed up cooking, with a brisket that heavy, you risk dry outside meat before the internal is tender.

Another thought: You might separate the point and do that separately later, and just do the flat. I think that's what I'd do.

Thanks so much.

I followed the Incredible Brisket recipe and put it in at 9pm at 215F.  It was done at 1pm.  I moved the temp up to 220 at 6am.   I can't quite figure out why Prime briskets are cooking so quick.  Two weeks age I did a 14lb prime brisket, put it in at 11 pm at 225 and it was done in 5 hrs.  I was guessing it would be done somewhere between 1-3 the next day.  Imagine the temp alarms going off at 4, waking you up and finding out your brisket is done.  Well I guess that is a small price to pay for a great smoked brisket.  If anyone can explain this, I would be more than interested in finding out the reason why this is happening.  Temp in the smoker is within 3 degrees.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.