Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here's my bean recipe. I don't measure anything, just go by taste. 1/2lb cooked hickory bacon, 2-3 large cans of Bushes Country baked beans, mustard, onions, garlic (fresh-minced), worchestershire sauce (Lee & Perrins), fresh ground black pepper, KC Master Piece BBQ sauce. Mix well and smoke on a log burner for 2-3 hours with hickory!!!! Stir beans about every 45 minutes to an hour. When done, chop up crisp bacon and layer on top....Sometimes I add other things here and there, what ever I have on hand. Smoked brisket works well too!!
You can�t make REAL smoked beans with canned beans.

Try this recipe and if you don�t like it you don�t like smoked beans. It requires some preparation, but not much.

Cedar Key Smoked Beans

The ingredients are:

3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
2 California Bay Laurel leaves (Turkish Bay will do)
1 cured ham hocks
1 pound dried beans (I use Pintos) soaked overnight and drained.
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
2 canned chipotle peppers (I use the ones in adobe sauce)
optional: 4 poblano or New Mexico red peppers, roasted, seeded and chopped or 1 can chilis.
4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped or one large can of chopped tomatoes.
1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
3 Tablespoon honey. Less honey if you like it spicy or more if you like it mild.

In a large pot over medium-high heat add olive oil. When the oil is hot add the onion, garlic, bay leaves and ham hock, cook for 5 minutes. Add the beans and stir in the cumin, chipotles, chiles, tomatoes and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in enough water to cover the beans by one inch and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the beans are almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and ham hock. Bone the ham hock and return the meat to the beans and add the honey. Put beans in a ceramic pot uncovered and place in the top shelf of the Cookshack and leave there while smoking your butts or ribs.

I have never had beans any better. Bush Beans! Roll Eyes

smokemullet
I too found cooking beans under a pork butt was too much grease for most folks I served. So I only cook beans under brisket or ribs. I drain a big can of Bush's Original, add some BBQ sauce, brown sugar, & a few handfulls of chopped burnt ends. I cook these for 6 hrs under the meat, but not in the center of my 008. Did these last weekend with 4 racks of beef ribs over some new pecan wood I just got from Hook. Smiler

bob
You can always control it.

For me, by the time I put my beans under my butt, most of the fat has rendered out. Or I just move the beans after the sit under the butt for an hour or I put a lid on them.

I wouldn't be adding a cured ham hock to my home beans, I'd pull off some of my good smoked brisket or butt (unless I did the ham hock myself)
Hiya Hook. We have been getting these beautiful beef ribs from Walmart here in Iowa. But I checked while in Ponca City and they had the same ones... same price. Smiler I just remover from the cryo pack & wash with cold water. Remove the membrane from the back as best you can and I do trim the big blobs of fat off IF they have that. Right before I cook them I use Montreal Steak Seasonin on both sides. I put the ribs in a 4 slot ribrack (from Menards) with the big end of the bone down, closest to the heat. I can get 4 racks in my 008.. thats like 18 lbs or so. Used 6 oz of your pecan at 225*. After 2 hrs I open the door and sauce them, and cook for another hour. Arent enough m's in mmmmmmm to describe them. If I didnt have any pecan, I would use oak.

Bob
OK, sorry I was gone for awhile. Back now. back to the bean questions. AND I could use some help. I did NOT smoke my beans. I did that before and my wife thought they were bitter. Maybe too long?? what do you all think? I am going to try the drippings next rime. AND, I did the smoked potato. MMMMMMMM!!!! they were a HIT. the only thing I did differently, I did not have a lot of time so I baked them in the oven then put them in my CS for an hour or so. mama mia!!!! like cadillac said, not enough mmmmmmmm to describe them. I am going to try Toms deviled eggs next.
David
David,

Bitter "usually" is a sign of too much smoke. If you wife doesn't like a lot of smoke, smoke the beans for an hour or two and then put the lid on them. And drippings is also subjective. It will depend on what you put them under, just keep an eye out for how much FAT you're adding. You can control the amount as needed.

Trust me, that smoking the beans gives them a flavor, when done right, that you can't get in any oven.

Smoked Potatoes are a tough one. A 250, that don't get the white fluffy look, the get more of a yellow/steamed looked. The come out just fine, but look a little less than white. A combination method like you described works well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.