Here is Emeril and Sam,the island's foremost chef doing one.
Hawaiian Luau: No-Imu Kalua Pig
From Chef and Author Emeril Lagasse and Sam Choy
Friday, May 18, 2001
A Hawaiian luau wouldn't be a luau without the roasted pig! From Good Morning America's Emeril Lagasse and Hawaiian chef, Sam Choy, the traditional pig and everything to go with it.
8 lbs. pork butt
4 tbsp. Liquid smoke
4 tbsp. Hawaiian salt
8 to 12 large ti leaves, ribs removed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2. After scoring pork on all sides with quarter-inch deep slits, about an inch apart, rub with salt, then liquid smoke.
3. Wrap the pork completely in ti leaves, tie with string and wrap in foil.
4. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan with 2 cups of water and roast for four hours.
5. Dissolve 1 tablespoon Hawaiian salt in 2 cups boiling water and add a few drops of liquid smoke.
6. Shred the cooked pork and let stand in this solution for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe copyright Sam Choy ï¿½1999; from Sam Choy's Kitchen cookbook.
More Recipes for a Hawaiian luau
I can see Smokin's mouth waterin' now.