tried to brown in oven, too close to burner, burned slightly
Man what an ugly turkey!
ate at 1330 - very good despite presentation, everyone loved it
moist throughout, spices good, smoke just right
4.5 hours would have been perfect.
Last edited by Former Member
Test turkey last week:
12 lbs, 8% solution added so no brine
rubbed with olive oil then a rub made of lemon pepper, poultry seasoning, and Key West (citrus type) seasoning - threw some inside too
draped with butter soaked cheesecloth
Smokette, 250*, 3 1/2 oz pecan, 4 hours
170 in breast, 165 in thigh when removed, juices clear

result: Fantastic!! light smoke flavor throughout white meat (haven't eaten the dark yet - it's in the freezer for casseroles) Could have been a little browner, and only one leg joint did not have clear juice but that will cook more when reheated in leftovers.

Today's turkey pretty much a repeat except added some sage to the rub and put a little oil and rub under the skin too. Will report back tomorrow on the result.
14 Lb Bird
Used the brine in the 101 ( smokin okie)
seperated skin and used the cheesecloth soaked in butter. I also out a little butter directly on the skin and under. Used some coarse kosher salt and pepper mixture and small amount of red pepper with garlic flakes very sparingly on the outside of the bird.
Model 50 Cookshack smoker 4.5 hours @ 250 setting.
used an orange and 1 chopped onion for the cavity
Finished in oven to crisp the skin and to keep warm until serving.
64 degrees outside sunny day.

Hold time about 2 hours

Apperance: Golden Brown with some lighter spots where the cheesecloth was doubled up.

Smell: Like no other

Taste: TBD

Picture: Coming soon.
One turkey done yesterday and one today.

Both in SmokinOkie Holiday brine for 36 hours.

Both with skin separated and rubbed with lemon and pepper and sage.

Both lightly injected with butter and maple syrup (about 10 ml each injection, one in each leg, wing and breast for about 60 ml per turkey)

Each one went in the 055 with 2 ounces of apple at 250.

Turkey #1 on Wednesday came out of the cooker and into the oven at about a breast temp around 150 to 155 and had already been basted about 45 minutes prior with butter and maple syrup. In the oven the temp was about 400 at first and dropped down to 350 and finish temp achieved at about 160.....

Turkey #2 everything the same except I put it in the 055 and went to work..... Karen poured on the butter and syrup at about 160 and it stayed in the cooker another 45 minutes and was removed at a temp of about 165.

Turkey #1 finished in the oven had a better skin.

Turkey #2 had a rubbery skin but was just as good otherwise.

All who were forced to eat my turkeys were very pleased and amazed. I comfortably told them ahead of time it was the best turkey they've ever had and I had none who disagreed.

I will never cook a turkey without brine again.

I would like to go head to head with anyone who wants to fry a turkey and compete with this method.

Richard
Here it is
Amerique
11.8 pound Zacky 100 percent natural hen.
Brine SmokinOkie Holiday brine, thank you SmokinOkie for the 101 Smiler
Brine time 36 hours.
Cook Temp 300
Cook time ? sorry It was in probe mode.
Wood 2 oz of Cherry wood.
1 stick of unsalted butter under skin
Covered with cheese cloth soaked in 1 stick melted butter mixed with teaspoon Cookshack rib rub and Spicy Chicken rub.
Cooked to 167 in breast.
My friends and family liked the breast meat better then the dark.

Thank you,
Brian E.
Last edited by bembring
Turkey- It was the best I have ever cooked- plus it was the FIRST one i have ever done.
I did it in the 150
brined with one of Smokin Okies for 48 hours- organic bird about 16lbs- cheese cloth in olive oil, rubbed with cookshack chicken rub
- stuck it in a hot smoker 300 degress
-cooked about 3 1/2 hours- let it rest- wrapped it in plastic- over night in the walk in-
carved and re-heated the next day
Perfect, not oversmoked and very moist.
1. Fresh, non-enhanced turkey.
2. SmokinOkie's brine about 35 hours.
3. Basted with butter and Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic.
4. Smoke/grilled in my Weber kettle at around 350 degrees with lump charcoal.
5. Cherry wood for smoke.
6. Cooked to 165 internal.

Results: I took this turkey and my mother-in-law cooked her turkey as usual to the family gathering. Mine disappeared fast, hers was barely touched. It was moist, smokey, and had crisp skin. And Smokin's brine delivered flavor throughout.

Turkey gumbo this week!!!
Our Turkey was 12.5 lbs. It had less than 8% solution added.

I brined it for 18 hours in a simple brine of water, 4 bay leaves, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 TBS of cracked peppercorns, 1/4-1/2 cup of honey, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of koshar salt, & 1/4 cup of TQ.

I loosened the skin after brining and applied my own rub to the breast and part of the legs and put back in the frige for 2 hours.

Took out, covered with butter drenched cheese cloth and into the smoker set at 250 with a 4 oz cherry/ apple mix.

This was a 12.5 lb. whole bird. It took only 3 hrs for the breast to hit 165. I had 1 probe in each breast. One said 162, the other said 165. I took a 3rd t-meter, an NSF instant read, and poked each breast and the thighs. This t-meter confirmed my other 2 probes' readings. The thighs were at 165-170.

I pulled the bird and wrapped in foil, rested for 20 minutes, and took it to the folks refrigerator.

Turkey day, while I was hunting, my Pop stuck it in the oven at 250. He was gonna use Zebs maple glaze, but instead covered the breasts with maple bacon and put the foil back on for the 1st hour of reheat.

The turkey turned out great (and thats good because I didnt even see a rabbit or pheasant to shoot at). It was moist, smokey, and by adding the TQ to my brine, It was that "smokey pink" color. It wasn't hammy however because I only used 1/4 cup of TQ.

I did learn a couple things this year though:

#1 According to Pop, who saw this on the Food Network, The thigh and leg meat are safe to eat at 160-165 just like breast. The show he was watching said the only reason they take it to 175 was for appearance of the inner meat. The higher temp does away with the reddness close to the bone.

#2 I finally got smart. At Dollar General I bought a $5.00 roasting pan with one of those nonstick racks that let you sit the roast or turkey up out of the fat dripping in the pan. The pan was a piece of junk for cooking, but it will make a nice drip pan for the smoker. I wont have to buy those foil pans from now on.

The rack is invaluable. It has those nice handles, it fits in my Smokette perfectly, and I dont have to worry about lifting the turkey off the rack when its time to pull.
Summary
Cookshack 009 Smoker
250 F
Brined for 36 hours, outside rubbed with olive oil
Moist, flavorful, loved by all.

This was my first turkey in the Cookshack 009. I have done others in my previous smoker though. It was also the first time I brined a whole turkey, but I have brined turkey legs before.

We got a 12.1 pound fresh turkey from Keller's in Albuquerque. It had not been injected or adulterated in any way.

I used the "Holiday Brine" from Smokin Okie's 101 guides.

The Turkey went in the Brine Tuesday night at 900 PM and came out Thursday morning about 0900 AM. 36 hours. I used one of those 5 gallon orange water coolers to keep the turkey in. I mixed the ingredients of the brine in a quart of water on the stove. I let this cool, put the turkey in the cooler and then added it to the cooler. I made up the rest of the gallon with ice and water. I still had a bit of turkey sticking out, so I added chicken broth and ice to cover it. If I had to do it over again, I would put the turkey and broth in a large plastic bag and surround it with ice. Next year.

I put the cooler outside at night as the temperatures are belwo 40 thse days. There was still lots of ice in the cooler on Thursday when I put it in the cooler.

We took the turkey out of the cooler, patted it dry and sprayed the outside with olive oil. I cut the skin around the ankles of the drumsticks so I could pull the tendons out with a needle nosed pliers when they are done. We put it on the bottom rack, added 2 pieces of the wood that comes with the smoker, put a Tru-Temp ($16 Target special)probe in the breast, cranked the thermostat all the way up to 250 F added a Polder probe to monitor the smoker temperature, and closed it up at 0915. I then put the giblets in a pan with water and spices to make broth for gracy. The gibblets simmered until the turkey was done.

The probe hit 160 F at 1210, a bit less than 3 hours. I was surprised that it was done so soon. We covered the turkey with foil and waited for the rest of the dinner to be finished. I took the drippings from the pan and made gravy with the broth from the giblets. It was a bit too smoky for my taste, but my kids loved it.

The turkey was delicious. The white meat was very moist and the dark meat was done but still a bit pink. There was a hint of smoke. It could have been smokier. The meat was flavorful, and the brine was not overpowering. Everyone pronounced it delicious. The skin was rubbery, but I sxpected that and just didn't eat it. Everybody loved it.

This was quick and easy. Nothing fancy, no fuss required, but very delicious.
I did 3 turkey breasts. All 3 were 8.00-8.5 lbs Honeysuckle White, no solution added. Didnt brine birds. Seperate skin. Rub with mayo under and over skin. One I rubbed with CS chicken rub. One with Durkee Smokey Mesquite St Louis rub. One with Walkerswood Jaimacan Jerk seasonings. Placed each bird in their own stainless steel wire "cone" so they all fit on 1 rack, standing up so to speak. (The cone is like a beer can chicken holder sans can) Smoked them in my 050 with 3 oz of apple chunk and 2 oz cherry chips at 250. Had a temp probe in biggest and smallest breasts. Total cook time was 2hr 15 min for 8lb bird and 2hr 30 min for 8.5 lb birds. Pulled each one at 160. Wrapped each in high temp plastic wrap and foil and cooled in fridge. All the meat was served during the last 3 days and there is just enough left for some turkey salad for lunch. They were all moist, just a hint of smoke throughout, and spices were great. We always disgard the skin too. Ive never had a need to brine a bird yet... as long as I use my Cookshack and an accurate temp probe.

Bob
Well, we're doing turkey day today instead of last week (too many kids and scheduling conflicts).

Have 2 turkeys and 1 ham going.

1 turkey with J Appledogs Brine
1 turkey with S.O. brine (cajun modified).

I injected the cajun, and put them both in the smoker at 325, using the FE100. I wanted to do one in the Amerique for pictures sake, but they changed the schedule again Frowner so now I need normal times/temps from the FE.

I'll update the post as I go.

Russ
I cooked three fresh turkeys. Two were 12 and 13 pounders, the third was 34 pounds. I rubbed them down inside and out with Deep Pit Seasoning, and coated them with some oil.

The 34 pounder went into the FE100 at 0730 hrs at 250F. He was done at 1830 hrs with an internal temp of 165F.

The two smaller turkeys went into the other FE100 at 0800, and came out at 1500 hrs with an internal temp of 165F.

All were cooled and refrigerated. When reheated they were great.
SM050

180 degrees (higher temps make darker color, and can crack skin.

13 1bs - Brine 36 hours - 1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tbls cayenne pepper, tbls ground cloves, 1 tbls ginger, 1 tbls cinnamon, 2 tbls minced garlic, 2 cups apple juice.

Remove from brine, towel dry, let stand in refrigerator uncovered for 2 hours.

Used apple wood chips wrapped in foil. Punched holes in foil. Approx 3 ozs chips.

Smoked for 3 1/2 hours, added another 2 ozs chips and smoked for additional 4 hours.

Turkey was perfect coppertone color with shiny texture. Flavor and texture of meat (both white and dark) was excellent.
Link copied to your clipboard.