Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Chris B:
... I feel like a pro and barely did any work. The family devoured the pork. More to come.

Chris

LOL! Like I have said on this forum before, I almost feel guilty using my Cookshack because it is so easy, and the results are so good. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your BBQ!
quote:
Originally posted by BluesBQ:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris B:
... I feel like a pro and barely did any work. The family devoured the pork. More to come.

Chris

LOL! Like I have said on this forum before, I almost feel guilty using my Cookshack because it is so easy, and the results are so good. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your BBQ!

The thing that surprises me is that the more I try to convince someone how easy it was to fix whatever on my Cookshack the harder they think it was
Well no one replied with an answer to my question so I did it my way! I used the rub on my brisket and I don't mind saying it turned out lovely as my New Zealand friends say. It was awesome. Got almost enough smoke but I'll work on that. Took 11 1/2 hrs. and made all very happy! Cheers, Don
quote:
Originally posted by logger10:
Any of you tried the rub by cookshack for brisket? It seems pretty salty to me. I have my own that is swet so this seems quite salty. Cheers, Don
Hey Juice!,

A CS is a must if you ask me. I think that AmerQ 066 is old enough that it may have the 750 watt element. It will only go to 250* and they were just a little under powered for that big of cabinet. They up graded the model by adding a 1000 watt element and it is one fine smoker.

If it was me, I would call CS tomorrow and inquire on the cost to upgrade the smoker to the 1000 watt element and see for sure what years the 750 watt element was put in them. I think Bill is who you want to talk with, but the gals at customer service will help get you the correct person.

The price seems right in line on it, I think the new ones sell for around $1750, they have changed the controller looks, but that's no big deal. new sm066

Hope this helps.
Thanks Cal, good info
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Hey Juice!,

A CS is a must if you ask me. I think that AmerQ 066 is old enough that it may have the 750 watt element. It will only go to 250* and they were just a little under powered for that big of cabinet. They up graded the model by adding a 1000 watt element and it is one fine smoker.

If it was me, I would call CS tomorrow and inquire on the cost to upgrade the smoker to the 1000 watt element and see for sure what years the 750 watt element was put in them. I think Bill is who you want to talk with, but the gals at customer service will help get you the correct person.

The price seems right in line on it, I think the new ones sell for around $1750, they have changed the controller looks, but that's no big deal. new sm066

Hope this helps.
Just for the record I've been smoking everything I can in my new elite and could not be happier!! I am smoking a prime rib roast tommorrow for my bday and thanks to the forum I have a great plan. You people are so awesome sharing wonderful experiances and ideas. Just had a friend tell me that treagers are being built overseas now. Thank god cs is staying here! I would pay alot more just to say it is made in America. Having tons of fun in Idaho!! Cheers, Don
Hey!

In the top left corner, click on the folder that says new discussion. Put in the title and then the text in the box. We try to help Smokin', our mentor/moderator out by doing it in the appropriate forum. If you make a mistake, you click on the eraser in the bottom right corner of your post and it will let you edit the post.

You can use the search button to look up different subjects, you may need the advance search if it/subject is not in the forum you searching.

I'm guessing 99% of us love our CS too....welcome and some of us love answering questions or commenting. Smokin' and Tom try to watch over us to make sure we give ACCURATE information, oh well...someone has to be correct....LOL!
Welcome to the family TheresaDS.

You posted one question already.

To post new questions it's as easy as cal said.
Top left-hand corner click on new and select discussion from the dropdown and you’re on your way.

Don’t forget to check out the “101s”. There’s no sense trying to make all the mistakes yourself. Most of them have already been done, ironed out, and what works has been documented.
I'm Gil D. from the Houston area. I'm a long time wood smoker guy; have owned Lifetyme and Tejas smokers (still have my Tejas), and I've made some pretty good BBQ in the past, but always frustrated, not only by how hard it is to maintain temp, but by having to tend the woodbox so often. So I decided to do a bunch of research on electric smokers and everything I could find led me to Cookshack. So I took the plunge and ordered an SM045 which should get here next week (May 24th), just in time for Memorial day Weekend. Already, I have all kinds of orders from my relatives for all kinds of BBQ that weekend. Can't wait to get started. I've already spent a good amount of time reading the cookshack forums and realize that there's a world of difference in the techniques I'll need to learn. Hope you veterans are patient, as I'm sure I'll ask lots of questions. Look forward to good cooking in the future and hope to make some good on line "smoker" friends. Talk soon.
Another new owner here...Just unpacked the SM025 out of its box here at my office and threw it in the back of my car.... Can't wait to get home this evening and get it fired up and get the seasoning process underway.
Been previously using a Bradley for the past 7 years and while I have had great service and put out a ton of good Q with it, I decided it was time to step up my game by moving to a cook shack.
Been doing a lot of reading here for the past month or so and that is really what convinced me to take the plunge and get the CS. I'm sure in no time at all I will be wishing for a bigger one! Big Grin
Shawn
After many hours of research, including lurking on this site, I recently purchased the 025. My wife was a little skeptical of the value of the purchase; however, after smoking two 8 lb pork butts and six racks of ribs for my son's 1st birthday, my wife is now a cookshack believer. Thanks to many of the posts on this site and your shared experiences, the meat turned out perfect and was a huge hit.

The wife took pix and I'll try to post them once I take the time to learn how. The only downside of the smoker is I'm now expected to cook for all the family functions.

Thanks everyone. I look forward to participating in the forums.
I have been dreaming about owning a smoker for a long time, and after doing a lot of research, and looking for a " no nonsense " ( babysitting ) mean machine that would do the smoking, and all I would want to do, is relax with a cold beer and enjoy great smoked Q .
I got myself a sm025 which is big enough, and am enjoying every weekend eating the best Q.
I'm originally from Joburg south Africa, where we used to eat a LOT of meat, either bbq or "biltong" ( jerky ). So far I haven't come across anyone on the forum from the old country.

It's great to be associated with so many carnivores, "smoked that is"
Thank You.
Gday from Melbourne Australia.
Another BBQ desperate.
2 Smokers,one homemade using different fuels and a Smoke-Daddy.working on an external fire box for it as well.
2 adopted Webber Kettles.
2 Webber Q's.
Spit Roaster and heaps of camping cooking accessories.
Shall do a lot of reading here.
Cheers.
Titch

Edit.
Forgot our Hark woodfired oven

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1008_(Medium)
Last edited by Former Member
Hi all. I'm Brian, I signed up a couple months ago but this is my first post. I was a meat cutter/butcher shop manager (not a super market) in my younger days. I took a career change back in the 90's.

Anyway, we purchased a used SM150 for a cafe my wife was going to open.

Just wanted to finally say hi to everybody.
Hi all, My handle is Big Frog, a nickname I have had since i was about 2 years old. I have been smoking on a wood fired smoker for a number of years now, and quite frankly I am tired of staying up all night to tend the fire etc and still comming out with bad meat. Seems my wood smoker makes a lot of creoste and ruins the meat. I am seriously looking at buying an Amerique and just wanted to get some feedback from people who owned one. I am impressed with the fact that is American made and seeems to be almost a set and forget smoker. By the way, I live in the pine woods of East Texas. Any insights would be asppreciated
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
We're getting lots of new members (and lurkers) so thought I was time for a "roll call".<br /><br />Tell us who you are?<br /><br />

Hi everybody,
I am Ron, and I am located in SE Denver, CO. I just bought an SM045 and while it is busy smoking my first Pork Butt, I thought I would take a few minutes to introduce myself.

I moved back to Denver from San Francisco a couple of years ago and was devastated when I realized my favorite BBQ restaurant was gone! Frowner I used to love going to Bennett's Pit BBQ in Englewood (now Centennial?) but they closed that location and the other is too far to go for me, except on rare occasions. Not sure what got me interested in making my own "Q" but the bug bit recently and I became obsessed - something I am sure is unique on this forum, right? LOL Wink

I am a "backyard chef" by my own designation, though I am not trained. I just love cooking outdoors and do so even when it is winter here in CO. In fact, when I first got back here I took a horrible fall when carrying a beer can chicken out to the grill in a snowstorm. I could have broken my neck, but I didn't - I was saved by falling on my butt, where there is enough padding to soften the fall. The chicken was saved by falling into nearly a foot of fresh snow, thus extending the traditional "5 second rule" until I could retrieve it. After a good rinse, re-seasoning and applying about 10 pounds of ice-melt (to the patio, not the chicken) I cooked what was one of my best tasting BCC's ever.

What I miss most about CA, other than being able to cook outdoors year round is the short drive to wine country. Nothing goes better with good food than a nice bottle of wine. I'm pondering right now what to heist from the cellar for a dinner of pulled pork. I'm open to suggestions, but I suspect I'll need to go light on the finishing sauce or the vinegar will overpower anything I can pair it with. My current thoughts are for white, a Champagne, or a nice California sparkling wine, as the refreshing bubbles and palate cleansing aspect, combined with the creaminess that helps tame the spiciness and tartness of the vinegar should do well. For a red, I have some very nice Merlot based wines, and I think the combination of soft tannins and spicy, dark fruit will provide a nice accent.

I travel to lots of interesting places, including China, which has given me a whole new appreciation for duck, Europe, where I get to renew my food / wine obsession and spend two hours eating dinner without feeling guilty about it, and Brazil, where the Churascarias are sooooo yummy. I am looking forward to preparing a smoked duck soon, and I suspect it won't be long before I am buying a sausage maker attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer to try to recreate some of the flavors of far away places.

I have done some smoking (sort of) on my Fire Magic grill, but it's a bit too hot for a low and slow, though it excels at searing and charring. This is my first "real" smoker, so I am sure I'll be doing a lot more reading than writing, and a lot more learning than teaching, and for all the work of the folks on this forum who have come before me, I thank you all sincerely.

I thank you still again if you have managed to make it through this entire manifesto, masquerading as an introduction.

Cook well, eat well, live well.
Ron
Hi everyone,

I'm Glenn from Long Island, NY. Yeah, I know, not exactly bbq heaven. Yet I absolutely love Que, and have been making it off and on for close to 20 years now, first with a brinkmann water smoker and then a weber kettle. Some good results over the years for sure. But again, off and on because it was just too time-consuming.

Not any more! I've had my sm025 for almost 2 months now and absolutely love it. The food is consistently delicious, juicy and tender as long as you're not too much more than reasonably stupid (like me!). And the best part of all: it's pretty much set it and forget it!

By the way, I play electric bass in a classic rock cover band (for fun), and was wondering if there are any other bass-playing barbequeing fools out there?
quote:
Originally posted by glennbque:
By the way, I play electric bass in a classic rock cover band (for fun), and was wondering if there are any other bass-playing barbequeing fools out there?

Howdy Glen, and welcome aboard! I know a few folks out on LI who appreciare a good BBQ, so don't lose faith - good food, good friends and good wine pretty much transcend geographic boundaries. I'm new to this also, and I'm also a (very) beginning guitar player, but one who loves the blues. I can't think of a better way to spend an evening than good blues and good BBQ.

My gal Lisa plays bass and between her and my son and hers we can flail out an occasional tune, but it's usually better if I sit out and cook instead of play. Smiler

Cheers,
Ron
Hello everyone, Jimmy from Norton KS. Got laid up here recently and told my wife I was going to look into smokers. You know, check out the Bradleys and such, that I had heard about. Well, one thing led to another and here I am with an Amerique on its way to Kansas. Boy is she gonna be surprised. I can't wait to get started. This site is a huge asset.Thanks averyone for the info.
quote:
Originally posted by jdaniels:
Hello everyone, Jimmy from Norton KS. Got laid up here recently and told my wife I was going to look into smokers. You know, check out the Bradleys and such, that I had heard about. Well, one thing led to another and here I am with an Amerique on its way to Kansas. Boy is she gonna be surprised. I can't wait to get started. This site is a huge asset.Thanks averyone for the info.

Welcome aboard Jimmy!

He he, yep, I don't doubt there will be a surprised reaction! Just to make sure it's a happy surprise, I'd make sure you have her favorite BBQ meat ready to go, LOL.

Enjoy your new smoker! I have had mine for less than a week (SM045). I made a pork butt the other day that I got just a tad overcooked, but it's good stuff! Right now I am getting a chicken ready for the brine pot and that's tonights dinner. Tomorrow is brisket, assuming I can find a good one locally.

Cheers,
Ron

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.