Skip to main content

I'll add some details, but wanted to get the photos up.

Basically I use my brisket rub, rub heavy.

Smoke until the meat hits 170.

Take apart in big chunks. Add it to a pan with beef juices, put back in the smoker until tender. When I put it back in, I kick the heat up to 250 to 300.

Typically takes 2 to 3 hours, then pan then 2 to 3 hours more.

Finished when tender

UPDATE
Based upon some feedback I wanted to provide some additional details.

The two step process is 1) add smoke flavor to the meat then 2) cook until done.

YOUR RESULTS will be based on your smoker. The photos above and times are for an FEPC100 (pellet grill) but here's the simple steps.

1. Smoke for 2 to 3 hours to get smoke flavor (set your smoker for 180/200/225/250 depending on how it produces smoke AND how much wood you smoke with) Base this time on your method.
2. Bump the temp up to 250 at the 2 or 3 hour point.
3. If the internal meat temp isn't already 170, then continue smoking at 250 until the internal MEAT temp hits 170 or so, take out, cut up, place in a pan with Au Jus.
4. Put back in smoker, test meat once an hour until it achieves the tenderness you want. If it needs more liquid add more HOT liquid to the pan, don't let the meat dry out.
5. Enjoy
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Chuckies have been on my cook list since I first read about it shortly after joining this forum. This is great info to have. Thanks Smokin.

Are you using a sauce of some kind when you put it in the pan, or are you catching the drippings, separating out the fat, and returning the meat drippings to the pan? Or some combination?
quote:
Originally posted by SkipQ:
...Are you using a sauce of some kind when you put it in the pan, or are you catching the drippings, separating out the fat, and returning the meat drippings to the pan? Or some combination?

I use an Au Jus that I get from a Restaurant Supply company. You could go with whatever you like for the liquid. I'd suggest trying some of the Beef Consumme you can get in the cans. Mix that with some of the can/box Beef Stock
My chuckies turned out very flavorful but a little on the tougher side. Not real tough but not pot roast tender. I created my own problem because I forgot to kick the temperature up like Smokin suggests once I cut the smoked roast into pieces and placed them into an aluminum pan with the Au Jus.

I did place the leftovers into a crock pot with a little of the Au Jus mixed with barbecue sauce. After 5 hrs on low, they turned out real flavorful and tender. I froze them and will throw them in with the next batch of Smokin's BBQ Beans.
quote:
Originally posted by jacksmoker:
SmokinOkie - Those pics look great! I showed my wife and she wants me to make chuckies next weekend. A couple of questions; What kind of wood do you recommend and how much wood should I use. Also - what smoker temperature do you do the initial smoke at. Thanks - love this forum!!!

It depends, what kind of smoker do you have?
Go for a couple of chunks (flavor and amount of your chosing).

Smoke on 180 to 200 for 3 hours. Follow the rest of the instructions, put it back into the smoker, increase the temp to 250.

It's done is determined by when it's easy enough to pull, you'll have to figure that out. Could be 2 hours, could be 4 or 6. Really depends on the size of the chunk and the collagen needing to break down.
quote:
Originally posted by SlimJim:
The ones I'm seeing at RD look bigger, but it is hard to tell in the Cryovac. Are you cutting them up before you cook? What temp do you start at?

Bump

SO do you cut them before the cook? RD calls them chuck rolls I believe.
Last edited by Former Member
Made chuckies on Saturday. The family really liked them. I didn't cook them until they were fully falling apart, so in the end it kinda reminded me of brisket burnt ends. Mine probably spent more time on lower temp smoke than the guidelines above. I put them in to smoke while beef jerky was drying at 180F on the upper two racks, so it was in for about 4hrs in the FEC-100. I added beef broth as my liquid, then raised the temp to 350 after I took out the beef jerky. A lot of that broth then cooked out and left behind a carmelized goodness that I just stirred up into the cubes. Will definitely do this again.
I usally buy "chuck" at the local grocer (AKA Harps) in the cryovac. Usaly 25 pounds or so, better price if they don't touch it. I cut to size and inject it with aus jous and let it sit for a couple hours in the fridge. I smoke with oak and hickory till almost tender (180 internal)in a foil pan open. I bast with jucies from pan every two hours. After 180 I foil pan and continue till 195 or tender and pull. I let sit foiled for 1 hour then shred.

Left overs work well in spegetti sauce and chili.
Just now pushed myself away from the table. Took a lot longer then it should. I need to
Turn the heat up when I know it needs it. I
Hold on on to the low and slow. Turned out great. Moist, tender great flavor. The twist was I cook the veggies in on the last half. Sweet onion, small red taters, carrots, and mushrooms. Covered with foil in a 9x13 pan with the chuckies and juice. Good eats!!
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
I'll add some details, but wanted to get the photos up.

Basically I use my brisket rub, rub heavy.

Smoke until the meat hits 170.

Take apart in big chunks. Add it to a pan with beef juices, put back in the smoker until tender. When I put it back in, I kick the heat up to 250 to 300.

Typically takes 2 to 3 hours, then pan then 2 to 3 hours more.

Finished when tender

UPDATE
Based upon some feedback I wanted to provide some additional details.

The two step process is 1) add smoke flavor to the meat then 2) cook until done.

YOUR RESULTS will be based on your smoker. The photos above and times are for an FEPC100 (pellet grill) but here's the simple steps.

1. Smoke for 2 to 3 hours to get smoke flavor (set your smoker for 180/200/225/250 depending on how it produces smoke AND how much wood you smoke with) Base this time on your method.
2. Bump the temp up to 250 at the 2 or 3 hour point.
3. If the internal meat temp isn't already 170, then continue smoking at 250 until the internal MEAT temp hits 170 or so, take out, cut up, place in a pan with Au Jus.
4. Put back in smoker, test meat once an hour until it achieves the tenderness you want. If it needs more liquid add more HOT liquid to the pan, don't let the meat dry out.
5. Enjoy

BUMP
Did this yesterday and it came out awesome!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.