Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Camper Bob:
I was all set to make the brine and purchase some salmon from Costco. Seems now they only carry farm raised as opposed to wild. Any thoughts on farm raised versus wild?

It's been my experience that the wild is more solid than the farm raised salmon. Handle it a little more carefully as you don't want it to break.

That being said, it is better than nothing.

T
Well you are correct. It is better than nothing. Will get some from Costco next time and will try your recipe which I am very interested to try. Just smoked some snack sticks which came out fine. Prior to that about two weeks ago I smoked a prime packer brisket using Franklin BBQ's recipe. Wow, was that ever fabulous. Thanks for the hand holding.
Tom,

Yes I had noticed your mention of TQ in your original recipe, but had (perhaps conveniently) forgotten it. Thanks for your reasons for your choice of cure over salt. I wasn't aware that the dose (so to speak) was so low; I'll have to do my homework on that. For me, shelf-life is not so important since we freeze everything we can't eat within a week.

As to the question about farm-raised, I have not tried to smoke it, but cooked fresh, we really don't like the flavor, even the "Norwegian" salmon that Whole Foods has on sale here now for $8.99 a lb. Having said that, I will admit that I occasionally have "Honey Smoked Salmon" out of Colorado (Atlantic farm raised), available here in Sam's Club, for breakfast, when in the depths of winter I can't get or make the real thing. It is really pretty good, although loose and fatty. Thanks again - all your posts are instructive!

Jay

OK, back to the old thread. I just put another 6 lbs (four sides cut to three about 8 oz pieces each) of fresh wild caught sockeye from Costco in the fridge in Mr. T's brine for overnight.This is the third batch this summer, and Costco's price is coming down. They never got in the Copper River sockeye as in previous years, but I read the run was very poor this year, unknown cause. But regular ocean-caught sockeye looks good, and I always stock up for winter in the freezer. Maybe one more batch this summer while the run lasts. We're not eating as much as we used to, and we're not anticipating the holiday parties with demands for smoked salmon spread we usually have. Still about 8 lbs left over from last year. So total about 26 lbs or so in the freezer as of tomorrow. Pretty good supply.

Last edited by jay1924

Hey soleman! My spread recipe:

8 oz cream cheese, softened (quite soft)

About 6 oz sour cream, mix w/cream cheese to desired consistency for the spread.

6 - 8 oz smoked salmon (depending on how generous you are), crumbled

2 T finely minced sweet onion

Ground white pepper to taste

About 1 T worcestershire, or to taste

Add the rest of the ingredients to the cream cheese - sour cream mix and stir gently to mix. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight to blend flavors.

This is fabulous on bagels or toast for breakfast, or on crackers or pumpernickel squares as a party dip.

Looking forward to yours!

I checked out Wild Alaskan. Pretty pricey. I get the wild sockeye for $10.99 a pound at Costco. But either way, you can't get really good smoked salmon for as cheap as you can make it yourself.

Last edited by jay1924

looks good Jay, I will try it. I have one piece left from my last smoke.

Here is what I use. I got it from the forum, but don't remember from where, so I can't give credit without searching for the author. Its even possible in might be in this thread.

8 oz cream cheese (I have found the flavor is a better if I use less than this however)

6-8 oz smoked salmon (half of this I chop fine. Half I leave in bigger pieces)

3 TB sour cream

2 TB Mayo

3 TB finely chopped jalepenos (of the sliced in jar variety)

dash cayenne

dash black pepper

dash of my homemade chipotle powder (simply smoked jalepenos that have been finely ground)

granulated garlic to taste (I don't measure, just sprinkle some in)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.