Skip to main content

This year I'm doing a 13# boneless ribeye for Christmas. The plan is a simple salt and pepper, and slow cook in the AmQ set at 220 'till the meat hits 120. This frees up ovens in kitchen for other duties and I can hold the ribeye in the CS if needed. I'll then run one of the ovens up to 550 and finish off the ribeye for serving. Plan on having a cast iron skillet on hand if anyone wants something cooked more. Might even put a dozen eggs in with the ribeye in the CS and have some smoked deviled eggs.

I was already pretty much planning on this approach after surfing the prime rib section of the forum and today found this just posted for the Perfect Prime Rib that confirms the process.

db
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Let us know how long it takes! I also think about getting the perfect medium-rare inside and still having a good exterior crust.

I smoked one over Thanksgiving that seemed to be a comprimise - Pre-heat to 300, then add roast and wood to the smoker. Cook at 250 for 2.5 hours then crank down to 140 for the duration of the cook. It hit 117 degrees pretty fast, then took forever to get from 117 to 121 with only a couple of degrees per hour movement.

I was happy that preheating the smoker to 300 gave me a really good color on the outside without a lot of gray area inside the meat.

I am curious to see what you cook time is at 220, so please let us know!
When I "sear" at at the end like that, I like to pull it sooner, say 110. That way you have more error area when you put in in 500.

It won't take that high, usually anything above 375 or so will give a nice crust on the outside. Just watch you finishing temp as it will continue to climb after you pull it and when you pull from a HOT oven the overshoot usually is closer to 10 degrees, sometimes more.
The ribeye was a great success. I trimmed it to get even appearance as one end was a bit angled; so the final product was just a bit over 12#. I decided to go with the AmQ set at 210 since I had plenty of time and could up the temp if needed. I preheated for 1 hour. Preped the meat the night before with salt and pepper; placed on rack above shallow baking pan with onions, carrots, celery & garlic with a little water.

At 6:00 am the meat went in along with a dozen jumbo eggs; then temp dropped to 130 druing the load & meat temp was 38. Took 20 minutes to get back up to 200:

Continued to monitor CS temp and meat temp as well as separate oven monitor above the meat. The CS temp read very close to the set temp of 210 most of the time, whereas the oven temp above the meat read 15-20 degrees lower and ranged between 180 and 192. At 9:00 am after 3 hours of cooking the meat was at 99 and I felt good that it would be done in plenty of time. The meat hit 125 at 10:23 (just under 4.5 hours cook time). At this time I opend the CS and removed the eggs and let the CS temp drop to the hold temp, which was set at 140; continued to monitor CS temp and meat temp, opening CS a few time to allow more heat out 'till it finally hel around 145. The meat rose to 130 during the hold.

At noon I removed the meat and let it rest a few minutes on the counter. Preheated oven to 500 and slid meat in for about 10 minutes to get a crust. Meat temp was 130 on the Mav and did not increase. Returned meat to counter to rest for about 10 minutes longer. Meat was perfect and couldn't be juicier. Heated au jus on stovetop for those wanting more cooking.

Here are the results:

As seen in image very little gray zone and the meat was very tender and juicy.

I would do it this way again. Now having a better idea on the timing I could shave up to an hours and a half off the total time. This time should work for about any size boneless ribeye.

db
Last edited by tnq
Nice job on the meat and the photos TNQ. I'm using the same cook technique. Smoke at 250* till 120*, let out heat and hold at 140*(finished earlier than I planned), pull from smoker/let rest 30 minutes, in oven for 10 minutes at 500*, pull from oven and slice. It's holding now. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours.
Last edited by pags
I power ate all day and didn't think I would eat again for a week, but darn if your pictures didn't make me hungry again. Very nice looking rib.

But why did you trim before cooking? Trimming after it cooks provides the cook with "test" product. How could you in good conscious serve untested food to your guests? Smiler

A good cook will always plan ahead to make sure there is ample "test" product. It's doubly important to have test product if serving brewed or distilled beverages. They have been known to go bad in the bottle you know.
Finally got around to doing a PR. Beginners luck or just some good folks on here with some great info? I went ahead and injected with a little Tony Chachere's roasted garlic & herb. It was pretty good but I almost made it to salty. Probably wouldn't be an issue if I didn't eat like 3# of it...Smiler

Wet aged a 14# roast for 52 days. Salt, pepper and some Cavenders greek seasoning on the outside. Smoked it to 132 in FEC-100 with Pecan pellets @ 200 for about 6.5 hours. Then in the oven @ 600 F for about 8 minutes to get a little crunchy on the outside. I wouldn't go any more done myself but I was trying to keep the females happy if you know what I mean.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PR_1
Last edited by mbailey

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.