Skip to main content

quote:
Here's a pic of the finished product. You may notice some of the wifes garden tools in there as well. It was a way of selling her on the project. Give a little, take a little.

I've used it twice now and it works quite well.
Thanks for the ideas.

Hey Brewbek, what's that off to the left there? I've got one that looks awfully similar as well as the upright smoker. Fixin' to put them both on a trailer to haul around to "get togethers" and such. Big Grin Nice looking set up you got there. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that it looks like Cook Shack ought consider putting their smokers on a taller set of legs! Wink That Rubbermaid shed; do they sell accessories such as shelving and hang up hooks with it?
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by Pawclaws:
I was wondering if anyone else noticed that it looks like Cook Shack ought consider putting their smokers on a taller set of legs! Wink That Rubbermaid shed; do they sell accessories such as shelving and hang up hooks with it?

I agree with needing the taller legs. Before I was really only able to put a cookie sheet underneath it. It worked but could be messy when carrying it to the emptying ground. Now I have a deep glass dish that I use and it eliminates all of that problem.

Rubbermaid doesn't make any accessories for it as far as I know, but putting a shelf or hooks and hangers up are no problem at all. The walls are all hollow so I just put a plastic molley and screw into it and everything is staying put. I even have a paper towel hanger mounted on the ceiling which works out well and doesn't get in the way.
I really like brewbeks setup. Goin to get my own rubbermaid shed, except would have to kick out the wife. Guess thats why i'll allways be single. I am a fabricator at a soft drink producer so i have a good supply of stainless stock at work. My my the dreams i have had of the perfect setup. Plan on it being the complete setup for the smoker and grill, probably include a frig. Hate to run inside for a cold one while all the action is on the patio!
Colin.

IT'S FIVE O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE!
just set it up the other day 4x7 Rubbermaid still have some arranging to do need to label all the draws with different wood types and such but it's getting there did my famous fajita roll in it Sunday as always everyone loved it don't think the shed changed the flavor at all Smiler

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_8649
Hello All,

I just received my 009 from Cabela's and am trying to figure out my setup. I like what RichH and Brewbek have done with the plastic sheds, and am more inclined towards the smaller one. I see RichH said to leave the chimney a couple of inches above the top vent or it will draw too much air. Does anyone else have experience with this? Brewbek, how far is your chimney above your vent - I can't tell from the pic. How much smoke are you all getting inside the shed? How has this setup been working for you. Thank you all for the information on this forum.
Welcome to the forum Capt Q.

I built a shed for my CS55 and used the same venting as Brewbek. My vent pipe sits 3-1/2 inches above my smoker vent and I've had no problems with this set up. I have noticed on cold days that condensation will drip from the vent pipe but it does not go into the smoker. I do get some smoke inside the shed but that smoke is leaking from around the smoker door and not from the vent. The leaking is almost gone now that my smoker is well seasoned.

Good luck and enjoy your cookshack.
Trucky, thanks for the reply. I have to really access the space I have on my deck to see what I have room for. I am now thinking of using a stand and set the 009 on it and use the cover when not smoking. It sounds like even in Alaska leaving the 009 outdoors under an eve, with the Cookshack cover, should work.

Right now I am seasoning it, according to the manual, with as fat of a piece of meat I could find on short notice, a 3.35lb pork shoulder. Over night. I will report on this when done. I hope it is an uneventful report. Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by Capt Q:
Hello All,

I just received my 009 from Cabela's and am trying to figure out my setup. I like what RichH and Brewbek have done with the plastic sheds, and am more inclined towards the smaller one. I see RichH said to leave the chimney a couple of inches above the top vent or it will draw too much air. Does anyone else have experience with this? Brewbek, how far is your chimney above your vent - I can't tell from the pic. How much smoke are you all getting inside the shed? How has this setup been working for you. Thank you all for the information on this forum.

I believe I recently saw a post by one of the guys at Cookshack that said the same thing. My recollection is that you leave 3" between the top of the smoker and the vent.
I tried to post pictures of our CS inside this thread, but it wound up in the Open Forum instead (http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7091028883/m/7011054274). The vent sets 3" above the top of the smoker, and I notice very little, if any, smoke that does not go up the vent. If the vent was closer than 3", I think getting a probe into the CS would be troublesome. At 3", the probe has to go up inside the vent before it will enter the hole on the CS.
I have a homemade electric smoker,Next I am going to build a cold smoking unit. Currently I'm trying this theory out with a cardboard box.

It's a box within a box. The outside box has 2" of fiberglass insulation on all sides.

The heating element on the bottom is controlled by the thermocouple located just below the middle shelf.

The wood box sits directly on the heating element. Two cheap disposable foil pans catch all the drippings and grease, and can be used to hold water.

The temperature controller is located in an ammo box (since it's waterproof)along with an extra thermometer.

I added some extra switches to control a light, and shut off the heating element.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of cold smoking. For $20 in copper pipe, I'm testing it out with a cardboard box.

Plenty of smoke inside the box.

CarrollFamily:

Nice cabinet.... the only thing you might want to consider is the drippings you will get when you unload some meat from the smoker. You are going to want something in the front to catch that stuff and be easy to clean.

My first thought is to get a plastic cutting board and lay it across the first drawer when you are ready to unload. And a sheet of cardboard inside on the cabinet floor would help too... or a sheet of plastic.
Thanks QNorth. I am been trying to figure out something for the front. A plastic cutting board is a really good idea.
I hadn't even thought about the need to line the bottom of the cabinet. Thanks for that tip. I will come up with something and let you know.
Thanks for not making fun of my cabinet !
Hi everyone. I purchased my cookshack sm009 back in November of 08 after visiting my brother in Omaha. (Trucky1008) I've smoked a few pork butts, a brisket and even cooked a prime rib in my 009 so far. Tomorrow I plan on smoking some pepper poppers and some moinks. I don't have an attached garage to my house so I needed something to store my smoker in. I built this shed to house my smoker. I admit I somewhat stole the idea from my brother but of course I believe mine is better. Anyway good smoking and talk to you later.
Trucky9754

Attachments

Images (1)
  • smoker-1
My smoker setup is finally complete now that my shoulder allowed me to work on it. My wife and daughter did help with the heavy lifting.

I move the smoker under the patio cover close to an outlet when smoking, but the smoker sits next to my outdoor kitchen when I'm not using it, as shown in the picture. This could become my permanent location, but I haven't yet been willing to deal with the extension cord issue, which I would need to reach an outlet on the island.

The smoker is bolted to the Seville Rolling Cabinet and is handy, mobile, and sturdy. Due to the cabinet weighing 109 lbs with 5" large wheels, it is very stable and also provides nice storage. Smoked with the new setup yesterday, and it was a lot easier on the back now that the smoker rests higher.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Picture
Last edited by pags
Pags:
How much area is there on that cart in front of the smoker? That is, if you take something dripping with juices out of it, where will the juices drip?

I need a good area in front of the smoker to keep things neat so I use a table but it's not movable.

And I assume the table isn't wide enough to allow the smoker to be turned sideways to get more room in front?
Moved from the Owners Forum

Being the cheapskate I am and lazy too, I came up with a way to move my cooker and get it up higher on the cheap. A $39 server cart from Harbor Freight. It's 24" x 36" & rated for #450. I drilled holes in the tray that matched the feet of the smoker. Between the smoker and the cart tray I added a scrap piece of 3/8ths plywood to reinforce the high grade chinese steel and to raise the unit above the lip of the tray enough for the door to swing. Installed the 4, 5/16th x 1.5 bolts and I'm more portable and have storage to boot.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 08-14-09_1948
Frito looks great I have a cart similar to that one I use for my miter saw what you can do is unbolt the top shelf and flip it over and reattach it then you will have no problem with the lip to door clearance and you will raise the smoker about two or so inches and you will have a flat surface for platters and its will be allot easier to clean.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.