Skip to main content

Uncle Sam says...HOWDY!!!! To all my fellow compatriots in search of the elusive Que Holy Grail! I've been smoking and grilling things for umpteen years on substandard equipment and doing OK.
My AmeriQue came last week, seasoned it, trimmed a rack of ribs St Louis style, threw them in and just cooked them by the seat of my pants to see how this smoker operated and let me tell you...

They were great! Not perfect but definitely in the ball park. I can see that the possibilities and the results with this smoker will be very, very good. Now to get down to brass tacks and start logging techniques and honing in on the unattainable perfect result.

I hope to learn a lot from all of the knowledge that I see floating around on these boards and maybe one day contribute to it myself.

Until then, hello once again and glad to be here!
(Honey where's my beer?)
Hi. I'm Judi McCann and my husband, Chris, and I live on several acres in southern IL. We have a Smokette; at this point, I do most of the smoking and he does most of the eating. We're lazy and have used only electric smokers. Smiler I used a Southern Pride (in our family restaurant) before getting the Smokette for our personal use.

Last nights dinner was a black bean and corn chili using ground beef that I smoked. I love to cook and am glad to read all the interesting recipes here. Looks like a good, fun group of folks hang out here.

Judi
Hi, I am Jon (padrefan98) and I have been smoking for the last year on a free offset smoker that a neighbor was throwing away. I have been tearing through the wood. In southern California at least where I live we have to buy everything from a wood lot or Home Depot. It has been quite expensive to smoke but I was hooked from the minute I saw the smiles on my family's face the first time I cooked a PB. I am generally a good cook and cooking is a passion. I met a guy once who said when your ready to take it to the next level check out Cookshack. I did and am now in the process of purchasing the SM025. I have been lurking and reading everything on the site and quickly realized there are many people with this same passion. I have another passion and that's Micro beer. San Diego has been called the microbrew capital of the U.S. so if anybody is looking for some great local suggestions, just hit me up. Otherwise...Cheers and happy BBqing!
Names Fridge, just picked up my first cs smoker on monday and am currently doing the seasoning of it wright now. so far so good and am thinking i am really going to like it. Have been using a brinkmen propane smoker and a char griller dou with side fire box imo have turned out some pretty good eats, but am lookin forward to some ribs from the cs, will keep you posted.
Fridge
I'm okgary1 from OKC, OK. I'm an RN Hospices nurse. Been playing with my Smkette for some time. Having been on the forum for quite awhile missed you all. Still learning but feel good about my briskets & pork butts thamks to Smokin 101's. You are the best sir. Still working on ribs, turkey & chicken. Thank you all for being here. I'm also unpaid.
Smokin I must admit that I 've already been using your tips and recipes for turkey and everything pork! I finally decided to officially "join" the forum and ask some questions.
Bought a CS Smokette from Cabela's with some gift cards from Christmas. I'm sure glad I took the time to research smokers before buying one. There are many less expensive, (cheaper!),smokers on the market but CS has certainly set the standard in my opinion.
Have cooked ribs,butts, tenderloins and turkey breasts so far and both my wife and all guests who have shared the results are ecstatic!
Now that I've introduced myself, does anyone know if you can brine and smoke quail with acceptable results. My experience so far indicates that even my old boots would taste great coming out of this smoker.

Not looking forward to my first potential disappointment.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Well. A lot of us here will vote for the Cookshack. But you're not comparing apples to apples since some of these things aren't similar products.

The Primo is a grill not a smoker.

The Big Green Egg is a grill and can be used to smoke, but from what I've read on their site, it can't smoke below 300* (BGE users can verify if this is correct). We smoke pork butt, brisket, ribs, tri tip, fish, sausage, almonds, and many other things at temps as low as 225*, 180* or lower.

The Bubba Keg is a grill not a smoker.

The Cookshack is pure smoker for traditional barbecue.

If you're looking to smoke, why buy a grill? If you're looking to barbecue low and slow, the Cookshack produces great product with no baby sitting required. Throw your stuff into the smoker, walk away, and let your remote thermometer tell you when it's done.

Conversely, you won't grill steaks in a Cookshack. So I guess you need to figure what type of cooking you desire and go from there. If you already have a grill, then I'd recommend a pure smoker, and specifically the Cookshack.
quote:
hey how does it work to smoke bacon and sausage?

It's great for cold smoking anything... including cheese. I regularly buy 3 lbs of thick bacon at Sam's and cold smoke it for an hour or two. Then split it up and freeze it. Really makes nice bacon. Same for sausage.

We also now smoke our steaks to about 85 or 100 deg. Then throw on the grill. Gives a nice smokey flavor.

But it won't really cook bacon to put on the plate. Not hot enough.
Yah I realize it won't cook bacon , thats not what its for but I do smoke alot of bacon and sausage so was wondering how it did?
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
quote:
hey how does it work to smoke bacon and sausage?

It's great for cold smoking anything... including cheese. I regularly buy 3 lbs of thick bacon at Sam's and cold smoke it for an hour or two. Then split it up and freeze it. Really makes nice bacon. Same for sausage.

We also now smoke our steaks to about 85 or 100 deg. Then throw on the grill. Gives a nice smokey flavor.

But it won't really cook bacon to put on the plate. Not hot enough.
Thanks for replying. I bought the smokette elite. It looks a little short for hanging bacon and sausage but feel I can come up with a plan.I love the idea I can use chunks of hardwood as I own a small sawmill business so will have lots to choose from
quote:
Originally posted by Chef-Boy-Arnie:
Welcome to the family.
Which CS did you order?
I’ve done sausage in a 009 Smokette and 066 AmeriQue, as many before me have, with good results.
Several people have done bacon, but I haven’t tried it (yet).
quote:
Yah I wished I'd a bought the bigger one but thought I better see if its what I want before I spend that much money. After reading the forum amd reviews its kind of a no brainer I guess. I'll use the elite for a year or so and trade up. You decide to try bacon I have a bad dry rub!! Cheers, Don

Don, you may surprise yourself with how much you can get done in that Smokette Elite, but I hear you about wishing you had bought the next size bigger.

I don’t know what they call it when you’re talking about smokers, but if we were talking about boats we’d call it two-foot-itus (always “needing” the next size bigger)

If I can ever convince TOWMBO I need a slicer I may take you up on that rub
Thanks for the positive input. Yes I know I will love it and you are exactly right on two foot-itus. Truth is I feel very lucky to be able to buy the one thats coming. Won't be here till monday but will be smokin shortly after!! Cheers, Don
quote:
quote:
Yah I wished I'd a bought the bigger one but thought I better see if its what I want before I spend that much money. After reading the forum amd reviews its kind of a no brainer I guess. I'll use the elite for a year or so and trade up. You decide to try bacon I have a bad dry rub!! Cheers, Don

Don, you may surprise yourself with how much you can get done in that Smokette Elite, but I hear you about wishing you had bought the next size bigger.

I don’t know what they call it when you’re talking about smokers, but if we were talking about boats we’d call it two-foot-itus (always “needing” the next size bigger)

Hey got a question I could probably find the answer if I searched. I am trying my smokette for the first time and following instructios even though its hard not to put more wood in. My question is I put in two pieces for pork but and it smoked for a couple hrs. now I see no smoke??
quote:
Originally posted by logger10:
Thanks for the positive input. Yes I know I will love it and you are exactly right on two foot-itus. Truth is I feel very lucky to be able to buy the one thats coming. Won't be here till monday but will be smokin shortly after!! Cheers, Don
quote:
quote:

quote:
Hey got a question I could probably find the answer if I searched. I am trying my smokette for the first time and following instructios even though its hard not to put more wood in. My question is I put in two pieces for pork but and it smoked for a couple hrs. now I see no smoke??
Are you sure? Might be blue smoke which is hard to see. Open it up and check the woodbox, you can always throw in another chunk or two.
quote:
I checked and there is lots of wood left but smoking very little. The wood is very hot to touch so maybe there is more smoke getting to the butt than I think. I will leave it be and enjoy the smells. Cheers, Don

I weigh my wood chunks with a digital scale then split them into pieces as small as 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" and place them in the woodbox so they are directly over the heating elements. I get plenty of smoke and the wood turns to charcoal or sometimes ash depending on cooking temp. I have a SM025 Cookshack Smokette Elite.
Thanks for that. I never did get the smoke I wanted and in the mean time my 10hr smoke took 12. I did research and found your idea so I will try that today on another smoke. I like alot of smoke so sure hope this takes care of it. Sounds like you have it figured out. I do alot of 225 smoking so this is good info. This forum and people like you make this way more enjoyable. Can't replace experience. Cheers, Don
Yes I did that this am. I bent it a tiny bit yesterday but thought I would wait till it cooled off so I could really look it over. I am doing a chicken today just cause I can lol, so will only need about three hrs. of smoke but didn't get that yesterday so hopefully works. I get the smoke I want I'm gona love this thing for sure. Very simple and easy to use and no more bisquettes!! I'll post how I did. Cheers, Don
Have a couple chunks of wood sit just over the back edge of the two front holes. That's where the element bends on mine exposing the wood to more element. I've also lifted my element so that I have to gently lift the heat shield in order to get my woodbox back into the smoker. That way I know the element is firmly against the woodbox.
Hey pags thanks that helped. I used some apricot I've had in my shop for a few years and it turned out very good! Ok I keep asking alot of questions but I seem to get good feedback so here goes. I always hang my pork bellies and sausage but see some lay the bellies on the racks? Does it work to do the same with sausage? I think hanging is better but open to ideas?? Cheers, Don
I've been lurking on the site while waiting on my big purchase. I finally received my new SM025. My first smoke was a 8.17 lb PB. Rubbed in a little garlic powder, salt and pepper, and Rudy's Rub. Smoked for 11 hours until internal temp was at 190*. Deeeeeelicious. I was so excited about the first smoke that I forgot to take pics. I plan to get some pics of my next smoke and set up to post. I love the site and LOVE my CS. After reading all the tips and tricks, I feel like a pro and barely did any work. The family devoured the pork. More to come.

Chris

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.