Skip to main content

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum, but have been reading all this great stuff for the last week. Bought our Smokette last weekend at the Fiery Foods show here and am waiting for its arrival. I collect cookbooks and have a pretty good selection on barbecue/smoking. Tried smoking on a gas grill - Disaster! Bought a cheap electric smoker and can't deal with the hassle of taking it apart to add wood and water (no door, this cheapie), not to mention giving up all day to baby sit it. Now I can keep working (dental hygienist) and still enjoy good barbecue. Smiler
My name is Bob and I live in Iowa. Just became a CS owner a little over a month ago and I am HOOKED. I threw out my old bullet shaped Brinkman smoker & my 18 year old charcoal griller. But I have kept my Brinkman offset cooker just in case I want to return to "the old days". During the day I am the IT manager at a metal stamping facility.

Living in Iowa is wonderful but just lately I have developed this odd characteristic. When we pass by a field with the usual farm critters in it, my wife says "Aw... look at those cute xxxxx." (xxxx = cows, sheep, lambs, goats, etc) And I think "A little CS rub, maybe some marinade, slow cook at 225... serve with slaw...."

Thank everyone for being so helpful here, I couldnt have gotten started without you all. MainelyDave, your pictures & stories are an inspiration that I use to get me pumped up for a cook! Hope to see you all at the upcoming BBQlossal here in Iowa this June! It's a BLAST!!!

Bob
Hi everyone,Dave here (cook 17) this forum is the best there is alot of VERY helpful people on here, I have been doing Q for partys for about 10 years. My wife and I work in textiles and with textiles going offshore so much,we made a decision to start a Q restaurant in a small town in Wi,about 65 miles from St Paul Minnesota. I think this forum help me get over the fear taking the jump, knowing all of the help that is on here, now we are still working at our day jobs, we worked three months get the place ready to open and have been open 1 month as of friday the 30th.
hours
THur 5PM 10PM
Fri 11am-10pm
Sat '' "
Sun 11AM 5Pm
WOW, the first month 1838 meals, were running around 100 racks of st louis ribs a weekend, 80 hour weeks but fun.

If any of the menbers from this Forum stops in to see me (ask for Dave) dinner is on me, just a little thanks for all of the great info from here.

HOG WILD BBQ & GRILL
lUCK WI
Howdy all,

My name is Hook. My parents named me Lew but everyone calls me Hook. I don't know any of you well enough yet to tell you why.

Anyhow, I've been a fan of barbeque for as long as I can remember. Must have gotten it from my mother's Texas side of the family. Living in Utah, my life had been pretty much "real" Q free until the last few years when we've gotten some pretty good spots (by Utah standards.)

Have a New Braunfels offset. Used it with less than spectacular results. My Cookshack 50 has changed my batting average around in just the two loads I've done in it so far.

Good to meet you all. It's a pleasure to be part of such a pleasant group.

Hook
Been a lurker heere for a long time. I started cooking and grilling 30 years ago. Bought my smoker in 2000. Started competing in 2002. Both my wife and I were working at Microsoft at that time. We saw that our jobs were going to India, so we bailed on the corporate world and started a bbq catering company.

We're waiting on delivery of our FE100. Looking to open a restaurant real soon. The only problem with BBQ food service is it cuts back on time to go to competitions.

More than you ever wanted to know is on our website http://www.teddybearbbq.com

~Konrad
Greetings everyone...

My name is John Kiss and I live in Ottawa, Canada's capital.

I recently purchased a Smokette primarily for doing sausage but have been playing around with BBQ too.
I'm going through the usual(?) start-up pains but things seem to be getting better, primarily from all the great info in these forums and all the friendly advice I have received.
This seems to be a very active and productive community - hopefully I can contribute something usefull too !
Hey guys, I don't own a cookshak but I love this board and have been visiting (not posting) for over a year. I'm Jim Morgan in Myrtle Beach, and go by the name Captain Morgan on most q related boards (that name was already taken here). Just started a new website about barbecue, and you're all invited. www.bbqboard.com

Thanks for all the great recipes and tips!
quote:
Originally posted by cadillac:
[qb] My name is Bob and I live in Iowa. Just became a CS owner a little over a month ago and I am HOOKED. I threw out my old bullet shaped Brinkman smoker & my 18 year old charcoal griller. But I have kept my Brinkman offset cooker just in case I want to return to "the old days". During the day I am the IT manager at a metal stamping facility.

Living in Iowa is wonderful but just lately I have developed this odd characteristic. When we pass by a field with the usual farm critters in it, my wife says "Aw... look at those cute xxxxx." (xxxx = cows, sheep, lambs, goats, etc) And I think "A little CS rub, maybe some marinade, slow cook at 225... serve with slaw...."

Thank everyone for being so helpful here, I couldnt have gotten started without you all. MainelyDave, your pictures & stories are an inspiration that I use to get me pumped up for a cook! Hope to see you all at the upcoming BBQlossal here in Iowa this June! It's a BLAST!!!

Bob [/qb]
Gee whiz... thanks! Welcome to the forum - this place is the best. If you can't find an answer by searching the archives (highly recommend, there's tons of info there), posting a question usually gets answered in a couple hours or less.

I've been busy working lately, but should have a new smoke story up by Sunday, if I can find a packer cut, choice brisket up here in lobsterland. Otherwise, I'm hoping to do a Turkey Pastrami thing.

Again - welcome.
quote:
Originally posted by Konrad:
[qb] Both my wife and I were working at Microsoft at that time. We saw that our jobs were going to India, so we bailed on the corporate world and started a bbq catering company.

~Konrad [/qb]
Welcome. I understand the corporate outsourcing beast totally. I was a webmaster, but bailed out to become a Cash Management Analyst, for the same reason as you describe - the work is going to India. Doing the BBQ catering thing is still on my mind - I'm still attempting to figure out how to do it on a part-time basis. (a.k.a. don't quit the day job until the other job can pay the mortgage...)
Hi,
My name is jack and my wife and I are taking the plunge into commercial bbq. In the next 5 working days we are ordering an sm150 and fe100 along with an 8 x 18 foot custom trailer from Trailer-tech as my IRA withdrawal money should arrive by then.
to be honest after a years search i was sold on the southern yankee rig but when we went to the NBBQA convention in atlanta my thinking changed.
John Shifflet spent a lot of time with us and we told him of our needs. As a chef I want to do competitions but my wife wasn't comfortable with the fe100 so he sent us inside to look at the sm150. She loves it and to be honest I feel that that is the smoker we will use the most.
Our name is 2 Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!, Inc. got it from the fact we own two retired racers and it made for a neat logo!!
But back to Cookshack. We are ordering from them due to Mr Shiflet and the fact that cookshack was the only ones who did not try to tell us how to get around the food laws even if it meant they might have lost a sale. That kind of honesty says to me that they will stand behind their products.
Please excuse any spelling or puncuation errors. i'm just a chef not an english teacher
jack
@ Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!
My name is Reto and being from Switzerland I guess I would pass as an expatBBQ. Got introduced to Q while studying and working in the US and now being back in Switzerland - where one cannot get ribs, butts etc - I am in process of buying - probably - and offset. Thanks for all the hints I got on here about how our butcher should cut ribs and what kind of smoker has what advantages. It makes life abroad easier and my wife (american - we both met in Washington DC which has at least one good BBQ place) is looking forward to the things that I might produce in the offset.

This is a great forum - thanks folks from cookshack to have this on here and let non-CS people participate.

My only request might be to further expand the 101 section - it makes the life of a newbie much easier - and don't forget to put in as many pictures of the meat cuts as possible for all the folks abroach that encounter blank looks from the local butcher when asking about US-style meatcuts Big Grin

During the day I am managing an IT team. We are developing software to support humanitarian demining worldwide. our website

Reto
Hello, my name is Billy I have had a cs 009 for about 8 weeks now. You gotta love this thing it will make anyone a great cook. I have worn out two brinkman smokers and dicided it was time for something better. After doing alot of searching the web I ran across this forum and after that it was not hard to see what kind of smoker I needed to buy. Thank for all wonderful tip and recipes!!!
OK... I will...

Hi... I'm Ron, and I'm a foodaholic... and a coffeegeek...

I live in the far western 'burbs of Chicago. I ordered my Smokette package last night. I own a Weber kettle (hasn't been used much in the last couple of years), a Meco Water Smoker (bullet type), a Weber Genesis Gold B (mainly steaks, chops and rotisserie cooking) and an el cheapo Sears gas grill that is used for coffee roasting.

I'm 47 years old, married with a 16 year old daughter and a 2 year old black lab (Sable). I am a Sales Engineer for a videoconferencing equipment manufacturer and travel quite a bit around the midwest for my job.

As far as other hobbies, my biggest passion is coffee. I roast my own and have my own espresso machine in the home. I also take my coffee along with me for business trips, including a small hand coffee grinder and a small french press. I also am a fishaholic. I enjoy almost any kind of fishing.

Was that too much info?
Hi
My name is Garnet Musser, I live in Ridge Manor, Florida,( about 35 miles north of Tampa )
I have a Smokette, I am new Cook Shack user, I hope to be able to get a model 50 one day to go with my Smokette. I recruite truck drivers for a living. I smoke meat and play a little golf for fun.
Hello all, my name is Shane. I live in central IL (go Illini)with my wife and two kids which are 3 and 1. I'm a firefighter who likes to cook. I lurked for a while but now I am a proud owner of a 008. I am still learning but I'm getting great results with my first few attempts, mostly thanks to this forum! I always wanted a smoker, but never wanted to drop the $ on one. After lurking for a while I new I couldn't wait any longer. Just wish now I would have bought my CS years ago. Thanks for all the help, Shane
Wow! Lot's of great, intelligent discussion. I am Eric of Saint Paul, and I am a neophyte in the smoking world. I do appreciate good Q when I find it, though.

I'm a long time cookshack follower. drbodkin is my mentor. He directs me to the site all the time. I have been promised a brisket for the New Year's Soiree.

Smokin, I was just reading your discussion on posting pictures. Try not to post too many good things. They don't approve when I drool at work. I must take exception to one of your comments, however. According to my wife, "Size does matter!"
Hi my name's Steve Wilson. I'm an ex-major league baseball pitcher: Rangers, Cubs, Dodgers, turned restauranteur livin in Taiwan!!! Love it here, my home now. By the way, Venezuelan Mike, I played 3 winter balls in Dominican, town of La Romana. Great Golf!!
I've been on the site for a couple of months. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful, funny, humble, and just plain old down to earth!!
My cookshack 50 is in Taipei as we speak, should be in Kaohsiung tomorrow, and then I'll be picking it up. Hope to be doing my first cooking this weekend!
We live on an Island 3 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico, a population of 760. Nothing to do here but fish and eat. Finally retired. Hobbies are cooking and eating, fishing, BBQing and eating, amateur radio operator, eating. My wife says I have too many grills, smokers, and BBQs - six at last count, one of which is a CS55. My opinion - you can't be too rich, too young, too handsome, or HAVE TOO MANY GRILLS. I only qualify for the last one. Big Grin Really enjoy making contact with other BBQers and like the fun put out and accepted on this site. Almost see the smiles on everyone's face. Smiler smokemullet
Last edited by Former Member
Never really introduced myself. I'm married, have five kids and a wife that is still a school teacher.

Worked as a machinist and buyer for Hewlett-Packard for 20+ years.. Before that I worked for the University of Calif at a marine laboratory diving, running boats, managing the maintenance part of the facility. Do a lot of RV'ing and my hobby is woodcarving. At least I can supplement our income with it.. at least pays for the toys.

I live in the wine country of N. Calif When my knees get back some strength I hope to be fishing again.. it was a hobby of mine.

I've just started seriously smoking and could only dream of opening a lunch wagon some day.. If I get good enough.. who knows.
I'm from Northern Minnesota. Where a barbeque is a sandwich and a pop is a drink and not your relative. Ambient tempearature was always a worry prior to my cookshack.

I've had my Cookshack for about a month and have had very good success with everything I've tried. I'm a banker during the day and a smoker, hunter fisherman in the evenings and on weekends.

My wife's family manufacture and sell soup bases and spices so I have an opportunity to concoct some wicked rubs and marinades. Thanks for the advice I've recieved so and the stuff to come. I've had an opportunity to show my cooksahck to several friends and I think the sales will follow.

bart-b-que. Cool
Just bought my 55 did the break-in 12-12-04. Enjoy the heck out of Babying. Miss Texas Style Brisket. Just real hard to find here in Ca. I am hoping to be throwing rocks at my Char-Broil offset. That thing is just terrible leaks air everywhere. Got the 55 instead of a custom offset. Hope it works as well as my offset built out of pipeline scraps.

Hope you guy make one for us University of Texas Longhorn fans�couldn�t buy anything w/ OU logo on it!
Hello all from Panama City Fla.!My name is Billy and love to cook.Enjoy my Smokin Tex each week.Cant get enough of good foods.My girlfriend was glad when I bought the Smokin Tex as I quit collecting new grills and off-set smokers and stuff!I am a lurker here mostly,but have had great info and input given to me when I ask for it.Thanks for a great forum!!Keep up the good work!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.