Skip to main content

Hey people. My name is Curtis. I'm from East Tennessee. I roll can sheet to make enough beer cans for the world. I just got home after a 24 hour run with that smoking 30,000 HP demon. But I just made you'll several million pounds of can sheet to form into 2-3 bilion beer cans. You'll have to get some of them other boys to do that though.

I've had 3 days off since September 29.

But I like a sweet smoke not a harsh smoke. Meat don't need all new wood. It smokes much better with the ashes of a friends fire and a little new wood from you. Then you pass that ash along to another friend. Share a fire that you enjoyed with a friend and let them pass it on.

Share, little children, share, be nice and share a smoke with a friend for all our sakes.

Ilove you all
Popajack here. I quit smoking back in 1971. then I got my Cookshack and have been smoking ever since. I am a retired lawyer and aspiring smoker of meats. I have never been so impressed with any tool I bought as I am with my little Smokette. And the people on this forum have been there and done that for just about every question I have. You can't buy knowledge like you get given freely here on this forum!
My name is Jon and I'm a family practice physician in upstate New York. I recently bought a CS and have had it for only 5 days. Already cooked chicken & pork butt. I have been using a Big Green Egg.

I need to build some type of housing for the CS. It's cold and snowy here which complicates using and cleaning it. Any plans or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon E.
Hello all,I am fairly new on the forum. I am also a new cook shack owner.my name is Richard,I live in Fairview AL.about 12 miles west of Mobile,AL.I own a gas grill,a Grill Dome & now a 009 cook shack smoker,I just bought it back in september.I am learning a lot just by reading & keeping up with the forum.I have owned a lot of different smokers in the past,but this is my first electric smoker.thanks to all of you for your help & info.Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas to everyone.looking forward to being part of the gang.
Hey Taiwan, just as a matter of coincidence, My best friend back then whose family I lived with for over a year is a great Lisey fan, as a matter of fact his father is now the president of the team! Emigdio Garrido. I also golfed at La Romana, although back in the mid 70's I payed a bit more attention to the girls, back in those days it was a lot of fun being a gringo in the D.R. Congrats on your purchase, I am not a Cookshack owner....yet. But first semester 2005 will find me in sunny Vancouver B.C. and my order is going in before I open my suitcases! P.S. How about a BBQ dim sum?
Hi folks. I got my Smokette back in August. Since then, I have Q'd pork butts, chuck roast, spare ribs, more pork butts, and chicken breasts. I smoked the Thanksgiving Day bird, and have made smoked polish sausage, summer sausage, and jerky as well. The kids may want their MTV, but I want my 008!

My name is Gary, and I'm from Ohio. My friends call me Geiyser because an old hippy friend who came up with my official slogan: I'm Geiyser from Ohiser who on occasion drinks Budweiser. (but only when there's no Miller Lite!)

I hunt, fish, golf, and use my CS for fun. I sell commercial refrigeration equipment, meat processing equipment, and design and engineer Supermarkets because I like to fish, hunt, golf, and use my CS.

I'm glad to meet and talk meat with all of you. Thanks for all the knowledge you pass along. I'd catch a lot more fish if fishermen were as open with there "hot spots" as you all are with your techniques!
Hello All...

Sorry about checking in so late but I haven't visited regularly since I put the CS away for the winter.

My name is John and I live in Canada's capital, Ottawa.
I'm a forensics officer and have two sons in Engineering at Ottawa University. My wife shares my love of meat preparation, particularly sausage making, (likely the result of my Hungarian genetic programming).

Unfortunately, our really cold winters limit smoking, (realistically), to eight or nine months :-(

This was my first summer with my 008. I learned a lot, (primarily thanks to this great forum), and had many memorable meals.
I finished the season being darn good, (if I may say so myself), at smoking butts, briskets, ribs, and sausage. I learned how to rub, cure, and brine.
Next year can only be better !

I've really enjoyed chatting with you all and sharing our love of Q.
I am from Rapid city South Dakota,,met a man at church about 10 years ago from Texas,,went to his house for thanksgiving,,,you can guess the rest,,haha,,,bought an 009 last July,,love it,,I consider myself a "BBQ liteweight" because I mostly do burgers and "enhanced" chicken breast's, but my family and friends fight to get my "Q",,I dont even mess with rubs or nothin,,lol
My cookshack is a "TOY" my wife is glad I have. I love this forum and all the great info and comraderie here. Maybe someday I will "move up" to briskets and butts,,but,,I'm in no hurry,,I'm eatin very good now !!
MERRY CHRISTMAS; DONNA,OKIE,TOM AND ALL THE REST !!
I'm BR from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. I smoke and cue as a hobby... actually it's cause I like to eat. I currently have a WSM but my next will be a Cookshack. I thought about building a "Wilbur" in the back yard but that's too much work so I'll get the Cookshack instead. I like cold smoking, sausage and jerky making. Hard to believe the best site on the net is in Oklahoma.
Hello, my name is Danny and I am from the GREAT city of Baton Rouge. My favorite thing to do is to COOK!!! I love to cook for all my friends at LSU football games.

I am a police office here in the city and have been for 24 years. Can retire in one year if I so desire. WHAT A GREAT FEELING!!

Smokin, it is hard to belive that there are over 4000 members now in the forum. Geez, I was member number 31.

BEAT USC!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Good morning, my name is Peter and I am a smokaholic! What a stupid thing to have as a hobby/business in a place that has 11 months of winter and a month of lousy skiing. LOL
I'm not a CS owner (yet), but I have a feeling that ownership is not far away.
Jon in NY, have you checked out the plastic garages that folks use to keep the snow off their cars? They can be had for a couple of hundred bucks and will keep you, your cooker, your friends and a box of brown pop nice and dry and warm even on a bad day.

Peter
i grew up in marianna florida and live in spartanburg sc practicing orthopedic surg. primarily sports medicine. i do love the cookshack and will be smoking tonight 2 butts. i cook some but the cookshack makes me a great cook. i will send smokin a pic i downloaded from one of his contests a few years ago. jan
For those of you too lazy to scroll back in this thread, let me repeat myself.

I'm Dave, I live in Maine. Work as a Cash Management Analyst and have a side business as Web Developer and Energy Auditor.

I've owned a Cookshack Smokette since April of '04. I love it. Still use my El Cheapo Brinkman when camping (no electricity) or if I need additional capacity. But otherwise, the Smokette does it all. I plan on smoking right through the Winter!

My Winter project is to figure out how to play the mandolin. Hoping to go to Merlefest in '2006.
Hi. I will do this again. I live in Northcentral Arkansas in the same dadburn county in which I was born. I was gone for a while in the USAF, came home, nuttin had changed. Thank God! Lots of good huntin and fishin round here, and overall nice scenery. I now work in the healthcare industry. I would take nothing for my CookShack, it helps prepare lots of meals. I have alot of hobbies including hunting, fishing, camping, boating, gardening, winemaking, spending time with family.

Remember all: This season is about God, Jesus, family, and giving. It is not about Walmart, Kmart, JCPenney, or anything to do with money.

Happy Holidays! Smiler
My name is Brent... I live in Oregon... I hope there are at least a few of us Westcoasters on this board... I lurked on the board for about a month before I asked for an 009 for my birthday... I have a wonderful wife and I got one last summer...

I've enjoyed cooking since I was a kid and queing since I was in my 20's... I have to say I've learned more in the last 6 mos from all of you than I learned on my own in the last several years...

Thank you and Happy Holidays to all!!!!
My name is Keith....I grew up in Pa, move to Cleveland, Oh 21 years ago, started smoking about 4 years ago during the winter months I only smoke about once a month due to the fact I work at the airport and put in alot of hours (SNOW, ICE) Summer time its 8 and out I smoke once a week or more. When I got started it was rough not growing up around Q I just did it for a while learned more each time. Then I found this site and I have been having good Q ever since.

Thanks Mix
Hello. My name is William from the eastern shore of Maryland. Been lurking on site and have really learned a lot. I am new at this slow smoking. I do not have CS yet but I do have a Brinkman Electric.This does a good job for me on cooking beef, turkey, chicken and ham. Also have a Smokey Mountain Outdoors which I have converted to electric with a 1500W.heating element. I think this does a excellent job.I really thank all for info I have received, especially from Smoking & Tom.
weapeg
Hi all, Kamots here. And Okie born an bred. GO SOONERS! National CHAMPS BABY, we dont need no stinking heisman. Anyway ive always been into cooking outdoors, grilling an q'ing of all types, but until this summer when i picked up my smokette did i realize what i was missing. Man have i ever been advertising for cookshack. Everyone that eats my food get ask how i do it an blam there goes the story, i think the family is getting a little tired of hearing it, but oh well. This is an awesome forums with great people. G'day.

Kamots
Hello all, I�m Gregg and live in Northwest Arkansas. I got transplanted here about 20 years ago from Springfield, MO where I was born and raised. I am a Navy vet, have been married 39 years to Lynda, have two sons and 6 grandchildren. For about 8 months out of the year operate a Country Cobbler concession unit mostly at state fairs.

I have never smoked anything in my life so I�m about as rookie as one can be. I have been lurking and learning here on the forum for some time getting a handle on what I should buy. I now have a ST1400 that just arrived yesterday morning. It was out of the box and being seasoned within the hour. So now it begins.

Thanks to all for so much information. It sure makes starting this new hobby a great deal more enjoyable and interesting.
Hey all been around here for a couple of weeks, I am a chef by education a consultant by trade and a smoker by love. Working towards putting them all together.

I live in Phoenix Arizona, grew up outside of Boston and have a great wife and two kids 1 and 3 years old.

This is a great forum, it is great to get replies to all my many questions.

tom
Sorry about the delay. Puter had an attitude for a couple days. I'm Dave, originally from Endicott NY now in Bel Air MD. for 9 months. Built my own smoker a couple years back. Now I have a ST1400. Love this type smoker! So far brisket is our family favorite. The ribs need work but that will come with practice. Still tryin to find a good wood source and my own rub. New to the area is the cause for wood supply search. Enjoy! Dj
Also, Married for 27 years to a beautiful woman that gave me one great son, 25 years ago. Our hobbies are riding our Harleys, beachin in the summer and eating smoked meats. We both worked at IBM for 25 years then quit to start new career in self storage management. We have a Ducane gas grill and the ST.
Howdy from beautiful Largo Florida! I'm a 51 yo Biker. Living in sin for 10 years 2 ex wives and 2 great grown up kids. Have built several smokers in my time. The biggest on is a offset made from a old refrig. that I use for my annual 4th of july party where we normally have 200-300 people. {never trust a biker with a welder and some extra metal} Anyway, living in Florida allows me to cook 80% of my meals outside so I built a outside kitchen. I recently [8 months ago] bought a CS and love it!
I'm a forensic mechanic by trade, In my work I travel all over the GREAT U.S.! so am always looking for new ideas in food and equiptment.
My currant search is for the ultimate outside grill to complete my cooking area.
I'm scott from scottnshelly. in ardmore, oklahoma.
I was never exposed to BBQ as a child. When my wife and I first moved in together, she got a small hibachi grill for her birthday. I confiscated it and began cooking hamburgers. now i've upgraded to a Char-Broil dome style grill. i've cooked a couple things on there with some success. a smoker is still on my christmas list.
my favorite things to cook are beans (which i've mastered), stuffed peppers and hamburgers.
i'm really glad that google brought me to this forum, i've learned a lot.
thanks cookshack!
Sean here...I'm relatively new the smokin' game. I got my Cookshack 009 for Christmas. Not new to a BBQ, but most of it has been the high heat style (Tec Patio II). I love the forums...they must be at least as valuable as the price of the Cookshack to me. Wanna know what I do, check out www.microsoft.com/mvp. Give it read, I think we'd all agree there are some MVPs of the Q'ing world here on this forumSmiler Thanks for all the great fun and reading.
Sean
Hi! I'm Popajack. I've been a member of the forum for about 3 years or so. It is the best place to find out anything you would ever need to know about Smoking or Q. I love to cook and eat. I hope to have more time to smoke and BBQ this year coming. I really enjoy reading the forum. I am planning a trip to Memphis for some Q & Ribs this year. I will critique the restaurants I go to when I return.
Hi Everone I'm Tom. from up here in the frozen north. I usaually smoke at least once a week when it warmer less and less as it gets colder. But a week or so ago my wife was getting tried of paying 7-8.00 dollars a pound for smoked turkey breast so she told me I mean asked (I am the man of the house you know)me to smoke up some T-breasts.
I am sure someone out there can beat this but, it was 20 below zero out and I want to say the CS worked perfecty. All I did was let it warm up for 15 min to take the "chill" off.

I want to thank everyone out there for all there grat advise, I really belive this form as saved allot of ruined meat over the years.

Tom
Hi,My name is Bill Arnold and I go by Blues Hog on here. I am very new to this site and also new to my FEC100. I have several pits but I have always wanted a pellet burner. I don't have much to offer as I have only had it for a month. I hit the competition circuit quite frequently, own a barbecue sauce company and a barbecue restaurant. Been cooking for over 30 years but hope to learn quite a bit on here. Happy queing.
Hello all,
Have had a cookshack smoker close to a year now and love it. Stainless smokette is one awesome machine. Had some doubts at first, but this forum really helped me through some curious times. Hey smokin, instead of just chewin the fat about introductions, why not have the folks post one of the best things they think they smoked so that the rest of us can contact those they fancy for the recipe. Then this forum will be working with the purpose of the endless pursuit of perfect smoking. Give it a go, can't hurt.

Smokin in Fresno
Hello from middle Tennessee,

I am Eddie Eller, retired military and recreational chef. Food has always been an interest of mine, hence the collection of over 500 cookbooks and thousands of hours watching cooking shows as far back as the "Galloping Gourmet", Julia Child and James Braid. Worked in law enforcement the first part of my career and then information management. Attended the CIA, no not that one in NY. My enthusisam for food intensifies every time I see a new recipe and I spend a lot of time searching for new ingredients and techniques. I bought a Smokette about 6 years ago, but only found the Forum last April when I added a Model 50 to my outdoor kitchen. My skills have advanced greatly by incorporating the comments and advice found on this forum.
Hi everyone - I'm from Linn, MO which is in the middle of the state. Looking to buy my first CS this year as I get my new business open in a trailer set-up. Nice website that has so much useful information. Thanks for the opportunity to enjoy and participate in this forum.
hey guys, my name is Phil White i now live in Huntsvliie,Alabama but was born and raised in Livingston,Tennessee(GO VOLS2005 the year those vols come alive) been q'n all my life44 years .I got started as a youngster tending fire for my papa.I use a homemade off set cooker and a weber table top grill.Ido compete with the backyard cookers and dont do to bad took mt first grand champion last yrar at lincoin county fair and a 2nd with mt ribs at rocket city cook off but winning isn't what i go for its for free and for fun and winning is just a biproduct of having fun
Hi!

Just call me Kate. I'm an import to Park Falls, Wisconsin, way north! I was born a Hoosier, but lived most of my life down in the Islands, where oddly enough, I discovered Texas BBQ. I owned an English styled Fish and Chips Shop (shack) in St. Thomas. My husband is a native Wisconsinite, so here I am. We have a reindeer farm. No, we do not BBQ them! They are for displays and parades, not eating. Of course that is winter work and we needed a summertime gig. So, we are putting together a BBQ Concession Trailer. They are a bit more picky up here on Health and Safety standards than in the Islands! Still, they made me jump through hoops down there that you never see stateside, so I'll not complain too much. We are waiting for our brand new FEC 100 to arrive in a few weeks. It was on this forum that I became convinced that it was just the right unit for us. Thank you! Anyway ... I hope that I can contribute a bit and I know that I have already learned a lot on this forum. This is a great place! Thanks for being here !

Kate

PS Not complaining, but has anyone noticed those nasty cockroaches on the top of the page in the ads? They gross me out!
Makes me recall the giant sized ones we had in the Islands. I think you call them Palmettos in Florida, something else in Texas, Mahogany Birds in St. Thomas, but a roach is a roach by any other name in my book! Just gross! Wink
Salmonhead here. the name should tell you I am an avid salmon fishing nut on the great lakes. I have an offshore boat and pretty much fish from ice out to ice in, when hunting takes over. Most things that go into my new smokette are game or fish. I got the smokette late fall of 04 so I didnt have much time to smoke fish. I have done some venison butts and they are fabulous. I shot a wild boar recently and am trying the butt and hocks as we speak. Love all the input from everyone else's experiences. Saves me a lot of headaches.
I reside in Michigan.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.