Skip to main content

Thomas here . . . just did my first racks of ribs yesterday (pretty darn good) and am about to put my first butt in this morning. My thanks to all who have contributed so much practical and valuable advice. These forums provided a great education while waiting for my smoker to arrive. A special thanks to "Smokin Okie"!

"not all who wander are lost."
Hello,

I'm Pat and I've already had a couple of posts, but wanted to say Hi. I've been a griller for a while, but I wanted to be able to do low/slow smokes, so after a lot of research, I got my Smokette. I did a brisket Saturday, (actually, Friday and Saturday) and it turned out even better than I expected. I couldn't be happier with the Smokette. Thanks for all of the great suggestions and help from the forum members.

Pat
Thanks for the compliment, but all of the credit goes to the Smokette. We've almost finished off that first brisket and it's as good warmed up as when I took it out of the smoker. Gonna' try some spare ribs tomorrow.

Actually, I got mine at a place pretty close to where I live. I would like to visit the factory sometime though, just to say Hi.

Pat
Just got a Smokette SM009 Stainless Steel for Christmas from my parents. I am gonna give it a try today with some chicken, venison backstrap, and some corn on the cob.

Live near Austin so we have our fair share of good BBQ joints around here, but I am looking forward to smoking my own. Smiler
Hi All,

My name is Travis, I'm from SW Michigan
Smokin newbie here, going to be asking tons of questions....

I too just got a new smoker for Christmas. Its the 050 and I broke it in Sat, screwed up some chicken Sunday.....I'll be posting in the open forum to try and get answers to what went wrong.
Hi all my name is John from central california a smokin newbie waiting for my 009 to show up tomorrow. The wood i ordered came today and i thought i ordered a meat thermometer but its a 2in temp therm. Boy i don't know about drilling on my 009 Eeker I probably won't i gots a maverick et-73 on the way Big Grin Thanks to all for the great guidance and info that you guys and gals share. John
Hi--

I'm Jim, but since that name was taken I go by Pags, an abreviation of my last name(nickname also).

I received my Cookshack Elite over a week ago and have since smoked a boston butt, chicken wings, moinks, and today baby back ribs. The smokes keep getting better and love to hear the family ask what's next on the agenda. My grandson loves baby backs, and I was honored to hear my first effort on the Cookshack made his list of favorites.

I've been smoking for years on water smokers and didn't realize how good things could get until I started with my Cookshack. That smoker sure does make things easy, and I really didn't understand what good "Q" was all about until I started with the Elite and read so many great posts on the forum. Thanks to all who have contributed as I feel I've learned a lot from you and fully intend to absorb more.

As I gain more experience, I hope I can share some insight or inspire someone also. Until then, here's to good "Q".

Pags

Pags
A Drummer, here. Don't have a smoke box yet, thinking about trying a new Smokette. I smoke on BDS, Masterbuilt bullet,and sometimes a Weber with a Smokenator. You guys seem pretty up front about your pros and cons of Cookshack. Would love to taste some ribs from your box, before I bought. My black barrel knocks out some delicious bones. I'm Art Dunn from Surfside Beach, SC. ruhtar2001@yahoo.com
Just joined and am thrilled to say that I just bit the bullet after admiring from afar for long enough. Called Charcoal Store today around 230pm and my new Amerique is scheduled for delivery tomorrow at 1000!!! Cannot wait to get it seasoned and working some Q. Thanks to all for the fantastic tips and tricks. Esp Smokin Okie! This Forum ROCKS!
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
We're getting lots of new members (and lurkers) so thought I was time for a "roll call".<br /><br />Tell us who you are?<br /><br />I'm Smokin' Okie, a non-paid straight man for the rest of the forum gang. Love the friends here at the forum! I've been smokin' for a REALLY long time, on most any smoker out there.

Scot here.
I started a new website called wheresthebestbbq.com and I'm just hooked on good BBQ and going to all the different restaurants looking for good Q. I decided to by the Cookshack smoker to learn more about this art and I'm in love with it already!
quote:
Originally posted by wheresthebestbbq.com:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
We're getting lots of new members (and lurkers) so thought I was time for a "roll call".<br /><br />Tell us who you are?<br /><br />I'm Smokin' Okie, a non-paid straight man for the rest of the forum gang. Love the friends here at the forum! I've been smokin' for a REALLY long time, on most any smoker out there.

Scot here.
I started a new website called wheresthebestbbq.com and I'm just hooked on good BBQ and going to all the different restaurants looking for good Q. I decided to by the Cookshack smoker to learn more about this art and I'm in love with it already!

Welcome aboard Scot. Now that you've got a Cookskack your quest to find the best BBQ starts right at home! Congrats.
Don
Hi,
New to the Forum and impressed with all the unselfishness of you ALL.
I'm recently retired from the Air Force after 26 yrs. I sold my 25 ft Southern Yankee concession a few days after retiring in 2007. I have a really good product but Goldsboro, NC is not a Memphis style Ribs and Texas style Brisket and sausage kind of town. So, I'm trying to keep myself from getting bit by the BBQ Bug again but too late. I want to start catering small with little to no stress. I'd like to Que more for enjoyment than having to make the bills. any suggestions will be appreciated
Hello all - Name is Chris and live in St. Paul MN area. I bought a Smokette from a buddy about 2 yrs ago and have had the smokin bug ever since. Still learning but have had some good successes thanks to you folks on the forum and Smokin's 101s. I don't get on the forum often enough but thanks to you all.
G'Day All
My name is Phil aka Captain Cook, forgive me but I am an Australian and reside in Melbourne (Australia) Barbecuing in Australia is in your terms grilling generally on a gasser. I demonstrate cooking on BBQs for Weber Australia every Saturday from September until the end of December. I am slowly converting people over to grill on charcoal and doing low and slow. The choice of BBQs/Smokers is very limited here the main two being a Weber Smokey Mountain and the BGE. The smoke taste is not that well known or accepted, one of the reasons for this is people generally use too much smoke and make the food taste bitter. Australians also love a very savory taste whereas in the US you food tends to be sweeter.
A group of us are attempting to get an Australian BBQ Association of the ground which will cover all types of outdoor cooking including camp ovens and wood fired pizza ovens.

I have 5 BBQs all Weber’s (naturally) Genesis E320, Q220, Performer, and 2 kettles. I also have a home made toolbox smoker for hot smoking fish and the like. I have several methods that I have refined for cooking indirect on gassers. My next phase is to spend more time developing my skills in low and slow with a WSM so you will probably find me lurking and trolling through your forum if you don’t mind. I am also a member of the TVWBB forum where I post regularly in the grilling, gassers and recipe discussion groups.
My name is orange68, Love to cook BBQ, Ribs and Brisket, I have a Lang84(big stick burner) and the FEC-100 (Little Stick burner) should be delivered tomorrow. Hobbies are hot rod cars (68 camaro) and riding my Harley Davidson motorcycle. This Forum ahs really helped my out so far and looking to lots more!!!
Hi. I'm Andrew, just found this forum. I am new to smoking, got into the taste while I lived in Houston a few years back. I will admit I don't own a Cookshack, little too rich for my blood at the moment, one of the docs I work with does, before he told me about it I'd never heard of an electric smoker. Certainly got my interest. I ended up settling for a Masterbuilt electric, one day I'll get a Cookshack. This seems like a great place for a newb to learn about smoking, seems like a decent bunch of folk. Friendly. All the best mates.
Hi Folks. My name is Ruckuz(actually it's Rich, but Ruckuz makes me sound more exciting). My wife decided to surprise me with a smoker for father's day, but was nervous because she did not know what type to get. She decided to tell me early, so after some research we decided on a SM025 as I am not one who would have the patience to smoke with charcoal and she wanted me to use it. Just received it yesterday(I know..I know its not fathers day yet), seasoned it, and cooked a 9.5 lb. Pork Butt. Of course it ended up raining this afternoon so I scambled to move it to the front porch out of the rain. Just my luck...Especially when it doesn't rain very often in Utah...
Will have to clean up the grease spots later Smiler
Luckily it still came out just about perfect...At least for a newbie Smiler
Man, I am really going to use this thing....
On to Brisket for Memorial Day.. Wish me luck..
Hi all!
My name is Jerry and my user name is skipro3. That is sounded out as Ski Pro 3. I am a seasonal ski instructor at a local resort. Here, the resort refers to ski instructors as ski pros, much like a golf instructor would be called a golf pro. I have locker #3 in the instructor locker room at the resort. Hence the name; skipro3.
Anyway, I've been BBQ'n for more than 30 years but on a completely amateur level; never competition. (Although I do attend the events and mark my score sheets.)
I make my real living as a telecommunications tech for the local electric company on our hydro project. I maintain communications of all nature; telephone, microwave, two-way, SCADA, telemetry, spread spectrum, fiber optics, etc. For a variety of communications systems such as security, video, remote monitoring, control, etc. I live near Lake Tahoe and have for over 27 years. About 3 years ago, my home and land was destroyed in a wildland fire that was set by arson. I have since rebuilt and now own a beautiful log home on my property. One of the first "toys" I've allowed myself since the fire and completing the house is my Cook Shack BBQ smoker. Nothing says I'm home again, than to tend the BBQ by resting in a nearby hammock. Ha! Glad I found Cook Shack and this site. Hope we can all be friends! Cheers!
Hi folks! Jeff Bonwick here. Long time griller, first time smoker. I'm an engineer by trade (lots about that on my website), but I also love to cook -- I even roast my own coffee.

Oddly enough I've wanted to try this for a couple of years now, but I suffered analysis paralysis -- I read all about charcoal vs. wood pellets vs. gas vs. electric and just threw up my hands. Last week I just figured, this is crazy: the amount of time I've spent reading about it times my hourly pay rate exceeds the cost of just picking something and trying it.

Liberated by this attitude adjustment, I opted for convenience and got the SM050. I've had it for just a week now and completely love the results. My wife is amused because I'm looking at everything wild-eyed now and thinking, "Will it smoke?" How would smoked coffee taste? Can you cold-smoke ice cream? How about adding a hickory note to the peaty goodness of a glass of Macallan 18?

This is going to be fun.
Hello folks, my name is Luis and I am an alcoholic. Just kidding (though some would consider me one hehehe)

I am a little late to the party since ive had mine 3 weeks. I am a former big green egg owner. I loved that thing but it was just too messy with the charcoal and tending and dealing with the temperature fluctuations. i finally got tired of it and was sold.

So I set out to find an electric smoker. My original budget was around $300 so i was looking at the masterbuilts. After tons of research I ended up with a cookshack elite.

Having some fun getting to know my particular unit. Before I die I will make my favorite dish in the world in my new cookshack; a chorizo, chicken and seafood paella.

First I must master Isabela

Say hello to Isabela

http://i715.photobucket.com/al...okshackluis/new2.jpg

First cook was a fattie. Twas delicious. Just set the temp and took out at 165. Too easy

http://i715.photobucket.com/al...okshackluis/new4.jpg
Last edited by Former Member
Checking in from Oklahoma City. Picked up an 025 today and am seasoning it in with some hickory and wild pig steaks with a lot of fat on them as I write this.

Like to ride my bike, a Honda Shadow 1100, so you know where my screen name came from.

Can't wait to get some brisket and ribs in this new CS.
Hi! Bob Johnson from The Outer Banks of North Carolina. Been enjoying my model 50 for 7 years. I have really enjoyed the forum with all us fellow smokers and the great tips and advice from members and moderators. Looking forward to great smoking this summer and planning a rocking 4th.
Go Tarheels and Cookshack!
Hi,
I am Woody from Denver. I cooked for a living for 20 years and now that I am in a different line of work, I really enjoy cooking in my free time. Amazing how that works. I have a severe mental problem: I am ridiculously obsessive when it comes to food. I dont go for anything too fancy, just the basics executed as close to perfectly as I can. I cant wait to start learning every nuance of my new smokette. I will be reading, cooking, and learning a lot.
It's sometimes customary for the "new guy" to begin with a joke, so here goes......

ONE SPECIAL PIG!

A man stops to ask directions from a farmer sitting on his porch and is amazed to see a three-legged pig sitting at the farmer's feet.

"That's a weird-looking pig," the man says.

The farmer is furious. "Don't you ever say anything bad about this pig!" he says.

"Just last week my wife and I were sleeping, and a fire broke out. This pig dragged us both to safety.

Last month a robber broke into the house. The pig knocked him down, dialed 911 with his snout and sat on him until the police arrived. So don't ever say anything bad about him."

"I'm sorry," the man says. "But what's the deal with the three legs?"

"Mister," the farmer says, "a pig like this you don't eat all at once."

----------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed it....... if not sorry.... i stole it from somewhere else anyway Big Grin

I'm Dave and I'm stuck in Jersey...... therefore.......... jerseydave

I'm somewhat new to smokin.... 2-3 years so far, and even though I've learned a lot, I still have a lot to learn.

I'm hoping to hone my skills here, contributing when possible.

I'm still using my first setup, a lowly Chargriller with a sidebox, but it has turned out some fine Q, along with several disasters mixed in, but that's part of the process Smiler

"JD"
I'm Steve. I just got my Smokette Elite SM025 and started trolling the forums. I upgraded from a Weber bullet and will be making my first try with the new toy this weekend. Hopefully some of your advise will help me sort getting the wood to smoke which seems to be a recurring issue in recent forums. I appreciate the information I have gotten from the forums thus far and would like to thank all of you for that.

Wish me luck on the first run, and I will let u know how it goes.
Hi im Felipe and originally from Puerto Rico (island in caribbean) and through job offer ended in Tx. next to a neighbor who made/smoked delicious brisket. Currently live north of Seattle Wa. in the midst of liberalism Frowner . Have a brinksman that tended to be high maintenance and did ok with smoked salmon but wanted something better and less work, studied many options like must of you did and decided after reading(lurking) on the forum that whatever problems ocurred with the CS's the cust. serv. was outstanding and that sold me and bought a 025 that as we speak is cooking the first of many briskets and ribs and butts and on and on. Thanx to all who have posted their experiences here and made it a lot easier for the ones who came after you. Felipe Sanchez
Read the 101's and forums for each type of product you're smoking. A little up front knowledge will do wonders for your results. If the first smoke at the lot is for friends or customers, I would suggest a practice run or two at home first to gain experience with your smoker and the product (after you've first read the 101 and forum posts on what you're smoking).
Hey all. Ken from North Cackalacky here. My shiny new CS SM025 will be arriving today. I can't wait, ready to duck out of work now to go get it seasoned.

Really appreciate all the insight and advice on the forums. I'm a newbie to smokin so I've been reading the forums non-stop all week since I placed my order. Certainly seems like a great community and resource.

Got a nice 10lb Packer from Walmart yesterday. I'm taking the day off to babysit my new toy while I make my first brisket tomorrow. Will be Brewing up some Homebrew Black and Tan as well seeing how I need to leave the thing alone for 12+ hours. Wish me luck, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.
Hi everyone. New to the forum and new to smoking. I've had my SM020 for a week now and love it!! Did baby back ribs the first weekend (good but I can do better) did a pork shoulder yesterday for pulled pork. It was AWESOME!!!!
Can't wait for next weekend. The wife is impressed!!
Been reading A LOT on the forum and have learned many valuable things.
I am in the planning stages now for a shed to put the smoker in (many good pictures of set-ups on the forum).
Thanks to all you veterans of smokin for posting your tips here so us "newbies" can learn. This is a great site.
Steve

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.