Skip to main content

Well. A lot of us here will vote for the Cookshack. But you're not comparing apples to apples since some of these things aren't similar products.

The Primo is a grill not a smoker.

The Big Green Egg is a grill and can be used to smoke, but from what I've read on their site, it can't smoke below 300* (BGE users can verify if this is correct). We smoke pork butt, brisket, ribs, tri tip, fish, sausage, almonds, and many other things at temps as low as 225*, 180* or lower.

The Bubba Keg is a grill not a smoker.

The Cookshack is pure smoker for traditional barbecue.

If you're looking to smoke, why buy a grill? If you're looking to barbecue low and slow, the Cookshack produces great product with no baby sitting required. Throw your stuff into the smoker, walk away, and let your remote thermometer tell you when it's done.

Conversely, you won't grill steaks in a Cookshack. So I guess you need to figure what type of cooking you desire and go from there. If you already have a grill, then I'd recommend a pure smoker, and specifically the Cookshack.
Last edited by pags
Got my 020 yesterday for my birthday. Have a butt on it as we speak. I've had the Egg, offset smokers, barrell pit, stainless steel propane smoker, Weber performer and so on.

I used to sell BBQ at fairs and festivals in this area. If I would have had a Cookshack back then, life would have been so much easier.

Since I'm probably one of the oldest on here (55) I still realize I can learn from the accumulated experience on this forum.

Patience and a remote meat thermometer will get you through a lot of BBQ problems.
My birthday's coming up soon and my wife was bugging me about a gift. It came down to a new set of clubs, a new mountain bike or a smoker. Ordered the Smokette SM009-2 this morning, No dealers anywhere near home. I've been playing around with slow cooking on a propane grill for a couple of years and I have had moderate success. I've been putting off cutting the grass and reading the forum today, I can't wait to start this adventure.
Hello from the great state of Alabama! First I should come clean and admit that I am a ST cxld owner. With that out of the way I'd like to thank you all for the wonderful source of info for people that are obsessed with smoking.

I started out trying to make brisket on a bullet smoker more than 15 years ago. After many years and many BAD briskets, I have refined my methods and spend my weekends introducing the Deep South to Texas style brisket.
It has been a long, interesting read to go through this topic and "meet" everyone. Hi, I'm Hub, a smokeaholic. I live in NC but was born and raised in OK which makes my BBQ taste more TX and KC blend than NC. Continuing with the alphabetics I'm a KCBS CBJ, too. I hang out at pelletheads.com a lot also. I'm going to buy a FEC100 as soon as my "outdoor kitchen" is finished.
Greetings. I joined this forum to ask some questions about the various cookshack smokers. I figured I'd need some help to make up my mind about which one to buy. But I spent a lot of time searching the forum, and I managed to get most of my questions answered. I may have a couple more that I'll post separately if my continuing searches fail to produce results.

I've settled on the Amerique. I'll be ordering sometime in the next week or so.

I like this forum. I've already saved several great recipes I came across. Now I gotta go find a link to prisonchef's mustard bbq sauce that I read about a little while ago.
Just received our new AmerQ and it is being seasoned as I write. I'm looking forward to cooking something Saturday. Think that it will be a Boston Butt that I will try to cook around a visit to the zoo here in Seattle with grandkids. Timing should be interesting as we are supposed to get some rain as well.

Hope I don't end up with dry pork on my first go.

I have really enjoyed reading the archives and collecting recipes.
quote:
Originally posted by New2smoker:
Just received our new AmerQ and it is being seasoned as I write. I'm looking forward to cooking something Saturday. Think that it will be a Boston Butt that I will try to cook around a visit to the zoo here in Seattle with grandkids. Timing should be interesting as we are supposed to get some rain as well.

Hope I don't end up with dry pork on my first go.

I have really enjoyed reading the archives and collecting recipes.

Well good luck! and great name choice.
Dirigo here.

I'm a Mainer who loves Southern-style BBQ. I started with an Alton Brown "Good Eats" flower-pot smoker that I perfected to the point where I use an Auber Instruments PID controller to keep a constant temperature. I've turnd out some good BBQ with that little flower pot smoker! But it is fussy sometimes.

So I decided to go automated. I was looking at buying a Bradley through Amazon when I saw a review that said "Buy a Cookshack because they are made like tanks and produce a great product". So I looked at the Cookshack web site and son-of-a-gun if I didn't take delivery on a SM025 last Monday. I'm still working on setting up the smoker in a 20sf Suncast Garden shed, but should be ready to season it by Sunday.

Menwhile I'm reading this great forum and trying to soak it all in.

What should I try for my first smoke? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dirigo
You gotta do PB, Dirigo. Pork Butt is the traditional first smoke!

I'm sure you've done them in your flowerpot smoker. It'll be a snap in the CS. It's a good long low and slow smoke that'll really help season your new cooker.

Even if you are an old hand at PB, you should check out Smokin Okie's Pork Butt 101. Check out the mop sauce, serving sauce, and mustard sauce recipes there. I haven't tried them yet but they get great reviews, and I plan to try them on my next butt.
quote:
Originally posted by Dirigo:
Dirigo here.

I'm a Mainer who loves Southern-style BBQ. I started with an Alton Brown "Good Eats" flower-pot smoker that I perfected to the point where I use an Auber Instruments PID controller to keep a constant temperature. I've turnd out some good BBQ with that little flower pot smoker! But it is fussy sometimes.

So I decided to go automated. I was looking at buying a Bradley through Amazon when I saw a review that said "Buy a Cookshack because they are made like tanks and produce a great product". So I looked at the Cookshack web site and son-of-a-gun if I didn't take delivery on a SM025 last Monday. I'm still working on setting up the smoker in a 20sf Suncast Garden shed, but should be ready to season it by Sunday.

Menwhile I'm reading this great forum and trying to soak it all in.

What should I try for my first smoke? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dirigo

Plugged the SM025 and set the temp to season the smoker and the GFI tripped. I reset it and tried again. Tripped again. Tried it a third time. Tripped again.

Guess I have to call CS on Monday. How disappointing.

Dirigo
Dirigo, this happens to a lot of people. GFI (or GFCI, as I've always called it) trips if it detects a short. However, they can be overly sensitive or just plain bad, so it doesn't always indicate a real problem (except that you don't get electricity on the protected outlet).

Based on a thread I found, you could have a bad GFI, or you could have a minute electrical leak in the ceramic insulation around the heating element that might not affect the safety of the unit, but will cause nuisance trips of the GFCI. I guess it could be something else too, so definitely call CS on Monday.

Here is that thread, and there are others if you search.

Smokette tripping my gfci

But meanwhile, try it on a non-GFI circuit. If you have to run an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy enough gauge for the amperage the smoker draws, and keep it as short as possible. The owner's manual tells you what kind of extension cord you can use.
Last edited by Former Member
Enjoy it,
I sure do Love mine !
quote:
Originally posted by SkipQ:
Greetings. I joined this forum to ask some questions about the various cookshack smokers. I figured I'd need some help to make up my mind about which one to buy. But I spent a lot of time searching the forum, and I managed to get most of my questions answered. I may have a couple more that I'll post separately if my continuing searches fail to produce results.

I've settled on the Amerique. I'll be ordering sometime in the next week or so.

I like this forum. I've already saved several great recipes I came across. Now I gotta go find a link to prisonchef's mustard bbq sauce that I read about a little while ago.
I had Mine Trip Out as well (amerique) they sent me a new element out in a couple days ......Nope problems since !
quote:
Dirigo, this happens to a lot of people. GFI (or GFCI, as I've always called it) trips if it detects a short. However, they can be overly sensitive or just plain bad, so it doesn't always indicate a real problem (except that you don't get electricity on the protected outlet).

Based on a thread I found, you could have a bad GFI, or you could have a minute electrical leak in the ceramic insulation around the heating element that might not affect the safety of the unit, but will cause nuisance trips of the GFCI. I guess it could be something else too, so definitely call CS on Monday.

But meanwhile, try it on a non-GFI circuit. If you have to run an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy enough gauge for the amperage the smoker draws, and keep it as short as possible. The owner's manual tells you what kind of extension cord you can use.
quote:

Hi SkipQ,

I read the suggestions and I think I have one outlet on my GFI that is bad. I used a heavy guage extension cord on a regular outlet and teh SM025 worked fine. I read one suggestion that said try the other outlet on the GFI. That worked! I am finishing the seasoning just now.

This is a great forum with a lot of good information and good folks.

Thanks,

Dirigo
Hi,

I'm aebayrunner. I'm a rookie to the smoke cooking art. I just inherited a Smokette MN008 from my dad. I don't think he used it more than a couple of times. This smoker is like new. Anyway, I plan on using it continuously. I'm no stranger to "Q" being a NC native. However, I don't have any experience or knowledge of this type of smoke cooking. I am really glad to see this forum and all the people/talent here. Looking forward to great conversation and better eats.
The is thebigticker (my given nickname...long story!) Very glad to be here and always looking to live and learn.

Residing in Sunny South Dakota, I'm having fun raising 3 boys and 2 labs (yes they are males too) with a very understanding wife. We love to camp, hunt rudy roosters and deer, fish for walter walleye and I LOVE TOO COOK.

My experience to date has been with the charcoal and gas weber and campfires cranking out steaks and ribs and campfires chasing perfection of hash and walleye. I've managed to crank out some chin drippn finger lickn good ribs on the charcoal weber...but looking forward to the next step in the living and learning process and graduating to the world of smoking.

I love the idea of acheiving ribdreamdom on the CS AmeriQue and looking forward to PB n Brisket.

Still haven't called Karen to order the Q...don't know what I-m waiting for...my sphincter must be tightening up with age and tough to part with the cash. I've got a line on a slightly used AmeriQue but trying to identify the value of opening the box, assembly and putting the season to a virgin of my very own.
Hello,we are Jerry and Robin from northern Virginia just outside Washington, DC. While looking at electric smokers I came across the Cookshack forums and knew I had to have a Cookshack, and like many others fretted over which model to get. I knew I really only needed a 025, but wanted the extra capacity reserve offered by the 045. As I searched I was able to get a good deal on a CS040 which arrived last Friday.

On Saturday I seasoned it (took three tries to get the element touching the smoke box correctly) and then did the traditional Pork Butt first smoke. Following the 101 forum and using Smokin Okie's finishing sauce the results were nothing short of fantastic!!!

And so the adventure begins. I've been reading the various forums and know that PB 101 had a lot to do with my initial success. I know that by reading and learning from other's problems and successes and keeping it simple will keep us in fine Que for many years to come.

This is a great forum and I know I'll be posting questions from time to time as I stub my toe and need help.

Jer
Hi, my name is Harris and I am from Maryland. I love smoking and have been doing it for a while. I am the type of person, that no rub or recipe I come up with is a secret. I do it for the pleasure of making great food, and love to share with my fellow enthusiasts. I have a blog as I try different things with the smoker. The Cookshack is my first electric, and to say I am stoked is an understatement.

http://dasmoker.blogspot.com/
New to the site, been reading for about two weeks, and my account got activated yesterday.

Fell in love with the Amerique and ordered one after seeing the Holiday Smoker Discount deal posted over the Thanksgiving weekend. Called and talked to Karen on last Monday Nov 29th, she said the smoker would ship the next week. Got an email last Friday Dec 3rd, that the Amerique was shipping on Dec 6th and ETA Dec 9th, can't wait for it to get here.

I have never done any smoking, my buddy does and I have watched over is shoulder a lot and have always wanted to, but didn't have the time to watch the temp and add charcoal/wood. Well the Amerique is just what I needed.

Going to go to Wegmans today to look at meat and talk to the butcher about getting a good brisket or pork butt. My buddy suggested "Two Fat Guys Butcher" in Front Royal, Va. But it's to far to drive this week, so next time I go to his house I will call before hand and have them order me some meat. But he said Wegmans should have good meat too.

am sure I will have some questions, but trying to find answers before asking.

One thing I haven't seen is whether the Rib Racks are really needed. I ordered two as an after thought and was just wondering if I really need them.

Can't wait to get my first meat smoking, I am thinking a Brisket. Would really like Ribs, but it seems they are not a good first cook. from what I have read.

Thank You
Wayne B
Hello All. I'm Russ from Southern California (winter) and NW Washington (summer). My smoking experience has been out at the Olympic Penninsula on the shores of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, where my wife and I have fished for salmon for many years. It's been somewhat of a fish camp setting, and we've gone through several Little Chief smokers, smoking salmon of course. There's always been an element of luck in our efforts. The weather there limits the effectiveness of a Chief, so we've decided to move up, way up, to a Cookshack. I believe it could withstand the wind, rain, fog, humidity, coolness and coldness of the West End. Since reading the Forum I've become interested in smoking more than fish. My brother and sister-in-law are certified barbeque competition judges ( They judged at Scottsdale.), so maybe they've had some influence on my decision. I've sure learned a lot by reading the forums. Thanks for the education.
I'm Bill, known as cookinpig and a new owner of a AQ. It was delivered Fri., seasoned Sat. and cooking a butt this afternoon. I was probably more excited about the delivery than my neighbors since the delivery truck tore down the tv cable line in our addition. I am not worried. Once I invite them for some great smoked meat they will forgive me. Thanks for the forum and all the information. Look forward to many years of great food from my AQ.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.