Skip to main content

Michael Macdoanld from Calgary Alberta Canada. We smoke summer and winter. Married to the Lovely Donna with 2 kids and I love my Cookshack , Andi and Cookshack�s Donna!!!!
I bought my Cookshack because of the quality of the information in this forum and have not regretted it for one second.
Presently have a stainless 50 series and hope to move up to a bigger one soon.
Hi All,
I just bought a Smokette in early December (couldn't wait till Christmas!). I've done a few things in it: Chicken, Ribs (2x), Jerky and some Salmon. Yup, farm raised Andi, but only with the finest dog food money can buy... hehehe Big Grin

Anyway, I'm a avid hunter and fisherman and I am looking forward to smoking some venison sausage this week! I also ordered that Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon kit -Can't wait till that comes in!

I've learned alot on this forum. Thanks everybody!!!
Hi to all the CS nation!!! My name is Micah. I was born in Asheville, North Carolina, but I have lived all my life in Australia due to the fact that my parents are Baptist missionaries. I had done a few smoked steaks on a hooded gas grill, but most of my BBQ experience has been with straight grilling until I got my Smokette 2 about 3 weeks ago. It sure made Christmas dinner a time to remember!!! I was originally just searching the net for beef jerky recipes and then came across the CS website and started looking the the different smokers and I finally decided to get one, and I am so glad I did.

Cookshack rules!!!!

Micah from Oz
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for about 6 months while contemplating buying a cookshack. Finally bit the bullet and bought a smokette. It arrived last week and I was impressed with the quality - built like a tank! I seasoned it last weekend and bought 3 slabs (3.25 pounders) of spares on sale at Safeway for $1.29/lb. Asked the butcher there if he could trim them St. Louis style. He didn't know what that was. Kind of like a mechanic not knowing how to change an alternator? Anyway, the full size ribs, cut in half, are now marinating in the fridge with 1/2 cookshack spicy chicken run and 1/2 rib rub. I'm looking forward to tomorrow! I've learned alot while lurking here so now I hope to put the knowledge to good use! Thanks for the great forum!

Ax
I'm Jack Rogers. I promote and run barbecue competitions. I am also Jim Minion's cooking partner and as Jim says we have been lucky enough to have have done pretty well the last few years. We have cooked at the Royal, Jack, and I even met Smokin Okie when we were cooking at Memphis-in-May 2002. I have been cooking for many years and have cooked on almost everything.
Jack
I'll take that challenge, Smokin'Okie!!

Hi, everyone, my name is Rich, and I am addicted to bbq (just ask my wife!) I live in California with my wife and two girls (3.5 yrs and 20 months.) I have been grilling outdoors for about 20 years (and I'm only 34), and working on my low 'n' slow technique for the last four or so (with most of my "practice" coming in the last year.)

My current cooking arsenal includes a weber kettle which I have modified, and a Klose offset. I will be getting a ceramic cooker in April which will take on all of my grilling duties as well as cooking low 'n' slow (the Weber needs some work!) Here's my modified Weber:

If I can figure out a way to sneak one into the backyard and keep it concealed, I'm very impressed by all the things I hear about the Cookshack units. Until then, I look forward to sharing tips, techniques and recipes with all of you.

Happy Q'in to you from California!

Rich G
My name is Jamie Crane and though I live in SE GA, I am a Missouri native. I own two webers a kettle and a gas. I am looking at getting a smoker soon, but not soon enough. When I am not at sea I have been known to lurk in the shadows here grabbing recipes and getting fatter! I also spend time at stangnet and avsforum. I am also a founding member of the family BBQ team 3 Hog Night. We are a local team from Canton Mo and spend as much time drinking beer as we do prepping for a contest. We have a couple trophies, but what really counts are the memories I have spending time with my Dad and brother doing what we all love: drinking beer and cooking!
Hi I am Vernon Miears, grew up in southwest Texas where mesquite is the order of the day. We live here in Austin where the family likes the urban setting, and we can just be a face in the crowd. I work for The Texas Department of Public Safety, and run a satellite earth station for them with about 1300 remote sites, some on R.V.s. I used to like to hunt till it got too expensive, fishing is ok when there is time, guns are fun, radioes and computers get most of the spare time when I am not cooking. I like to cook so much, I was warned at work for cooking steak on the clock, funny thing the boss was there and liked the meal though??? Eeker I also have a webber kettle and a double barrel offset that I built myself out of hi pressure pipe. I like my smokette only had it about two weeks. I learned about cookshack on the bbqnfools.com website. I'm sure I'll find a use for the offset, maybe a boat anchor or lawn orniment, or one of those rare moments when I want to do something exotic...I like the forum a lot of good info here.. Smiler Smiler
hello everyone,

my name is Ron and I'm from amarillo,texas have had a smokette for about 8 months best thing I ever bought!!! I am a Railroad Engineer for BNSF Railroad so I don't get to the forum to much, but get here when I can. Well gotta go check my ribs found them on sale today at united 89 cents a pound so I stocked up!!!! Smiler
Hello all,
I'm Earl from Seattle WA. Just received my Smokette Monday. Have done a couple batches of ribs, a brisket, and two pork butts are in there now. I'm very pleased with the results so far! My times are running quite a bit longer than others report on this group but it seems to be working OK. Reaches 206 when set at 200 and 257 when set on 225. Is that in the "normal" range? I know it's done when it's done!! Smiler
Thanks to everytbody for their help and ideas. I'm Chuck, from just west of Philly. Love my "Q"... and most types of cooking, with a stomach to prove it. Recently I have been investigating the possiblility of doing "Q" in a concession setting.

I don't have a CS. Had one on order and changed my mind as I wanted a bigger one. Not gonna' be easy in my township and surrounding area.

Love this forum!
Hey Guys
Many of you have probably seen me post on the BBQFORUM and I've been a lurker here and on the Egger forum a bit. I'm a critical care respiratory therapist at Childrens Hospital Mpls. MN and live in Hastings, MN. I like hunting & fishing, bbq & blues, beer & brandy. I don't have a cookshack or an egg but I built about the best damn smoker i've ever had out of a commercial warming oven and it's a gas assisted woodburner and love the hell out of it. Hope everyone stays in the smoke and has a great summer full of bbq
Good Q'n
Jon
Dr. Mac Here,

I'm a high school principal in western Nebraska. My hobbies include Q, making wine, camping, & boating/skiing.

I have had my smokette for about 6 months now. I LOVE IT! I also love this forum! Have used it for jerky, ribs, butts, & chicken. Next experiment is a brisket.
Hi ya,
Donald Maclaren here. Software engineer and 1st time owner of a smokette 008 for a week now. Aactually, I had some paint chip the first use and called CS. They are sending me a new 009 sinec they want to make sire all is ok.

Anyway, I have been smoking all day every day. I will turn into a smoker is I'm not careful.

What a great company. Waht a relief to do business with a business that really cares about i's customers. A++ to you CS
Hello everybody! As you can see below, we live in Washington State, approximately 20 minutes from the Ocean. We have great salmon fishing locally!

"We" consists of my beautiful bride & two sons. We have no cookshack in the arsenal yet, but we do use a home brew off-set metal smoker.

I am a BBQ cooking newbie, having been a die hard fan of Q since Mr. Beal (sp?) ran the "Wild Boar" in Seattle. We sure miss the place!! (Hey ej--you ever get to frequent the place before it closed?!)

I really enjoy the "way too spicy" side of food but computers, and cooking are my main interests. Of course, a good baseball game or a day of fishing are hard to beat! Also, as you can see, I take after Smokin'--I like to write.... (Sorry Smokin, but it takes the heat off of my long posts!! Wink )
Hello, I'm John from the western burbs of Chicago. I am an airline pilot, married, three children and one grandchild (and another on the way). Bought my Smokette about a month ago and lovin' it ever since. Thanks to all that have helped with all my crazy questions! And, thanks to CS for their help as well.

John AKA Grumpster
Bonjour

My name is Rene, Am still here, reading your exchanges this side of the pond !
France is still waiting for the CS landing !
Did I hear "tough !" ?
Happy 4th (2003) to you all ... 10 days to go to our 14th ! But did'nt I say ... we allways have to wait !
Will someone save us and send a CS ?
Wink
Been on this forum 1 year next month and can't begin to tell you how much I've learned about Q in that time.

I'm proud to say that because of all the helpful folks here, I have never had a bad piece of meat come off my smoker.

For the newcomers, just wanna say welcome, and you won't be sorry you joined this "family"

As we speak I'm tending a pork shoulder and boneless butt to celebrate the 4th of July. Can't think of a better way to spend the holiday...Q, slaw, beans & beer. What a day!!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE ! Smiler

Ken
Hi all! I am Bob from the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Got my Model 50 about a year ago and have loved every minute of using it and coming to this forum. Great service and a great product! Cannot ask for better than that!
Celebrating the 4th with lots of friends and lots of Cookshack Baby Backs! Have a great holiday! Big Grin
Hope everyone is having a great 4th. This is my first post. I've been cooking outdoors for over 35 years, but I've learned considerably more from this forum in the last 2 weeks. I've got to get one of those Cookshack smokers though. Hope I'll cooking on one for the next 35.
Hi!
Lynnae here to say my CS has made me one happy camper and thanks to y'all I'm probably going to get fat now that I am eating all this good Q. Wink

Anyway I wanted to be counted on the roll call and say how happy I am to see all the support you give, even to those without a CS currently. I guess it's all in the name of good Q!

I am a chef and have been cooking in restaurants and catering for 20 years and the one thing that keeps me going in this insane industry is that there is always something to learn and this forum is one real good example.

I hope everyone had a good 4th. I fired up some racks of spare ribs and they came out GOOD! I thought I'd try putting a piece of charcoal in with the chunks and the results, I thought were great although I had nothing to comapare with.

Good eat's a frosty beverage or 2 and some good friends made this a great 4th.

All the best to everyone

lynnae Smiler Wink Smiler
hi everybody! my nameis michael. i have been queing professionally for 7 months now. from "never done it" to "for a living" in a whirlwind of one month. my wife and i saw this place for sale, and jumped on the chance. since then, i have learned soooo much! mostly from reading this forum. now, i am proud to say people all over the low country come for miles just to eat our q. couldnt have done it without all of you! dont have a cs, but will get one if i ever change locations. our restaurant was built around this huge smoker! i use a combo of apple and mesquite. mmmmmm. also created a spicy mustard sauce that i will share later... thanks for al the help! check us out on line at www.coffeebluffbbq.com
"loving the Q life"
Kevin Taraszewski, Boardman, Ohio. My cookshack (model 50) arrived the Thursday before Easter Sunday. I have used it EVERY weekend since for at least one meal. I have a Klose offset on order. I like variety and the opportunity to learn as much as I can about my passions in life, of which BBQ is one. Have made several posts since purchase mainly helping newer people since I am just ever so slightly out of that stage so my concerns,issues, and successes are still fresh in my mind.
Kevin
Kevin Cool
Hi, most of you know me: I am Donna Johnson and I am a co-owner of Cookshack along with my brother Mark and Stuart (who is not my brother but he is a joy to work with).

I am going to go all mushy here. My Mom and Dad started Cookshack in the 60's. It literally started from nothing, in their backyard. Mark and I joined the business in 1980 or '81, I can't remember. My Dad was one of those entrepreneurs who could not delegate a thing and they were killing themselves. Mark and I took a huge load from them, and we saw sales increase rapidly. My parents died in a boating accident in 1985. Stuart joined us in 1990 (?) or thereabouts. Here is the mushy part: my Dad would have absolutely loved this Forum. He had a vision of making a smoking machine that everyone could use to make great barbecue with no mystery. From what you all are saying, he did it. We at Cookshack do truly think of you as part of a great big bbq family.

Now I am dripping tears and have to stop. Sorry for all this, I know some of you are thinking Too Much Information!

Donna

PS The spice blends and Spicy Sauce are my mother's recipes. My dad invented the smokers, but Mom gets credit, too!
Let's see those OTHER companies match that.

Thanks for the story Donna.

Hey, question, does CS have any photos from the early days? A suggestion is to add some of this info in your monthly newletter and add to the site. Great story. Now go get a tissue Wink

But I was gonna give you a hard time about taking so long to post then I said to myself "HEY" dummy, it's your turn. Actually I hadn't posted because I wanted to hear your stories, not mine Wink

Hi There, I'm Smokin Okie, but you knew that Big Grin

Been barbecuing/smokin/grillin ever since I first fired up the weber in the family's back yard in the 60's. Eventually got an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) and work on perfecting simple Q. There wasn't anyone around to ask, everyone kept their secrets and there weren't any Low and Slow books. Along the way, traveled the world (over 100 countries) learned about food and how everyone else does it, taught a little about Q'in and then this internet thing comes along. Worked with a few teams in contests, became a Certified Judge (with Mrs. Smokin') and the story grows every year.

It's my absolute pleasure to share any knowledge I have about Q. When my wife bought my first Cookshack at the Okie State Fair, I hadn't heard of CS. But my wife wanted to see more of me instead of seeing me go out the door to stoke the fire on the offset.

After a while, I bugged Donna on the original forum (it's fun to read some of that old stuff now and then, but I REALLY prefer the new forum):

Original CS Forum

I truly love the people at CS, they're great to work with and work real hard and they have more surprises in store for everyone and we ALL make this the best Q'in Forum on the internet.

Give ya'll a virtual hug and pat on the back from me.
Hello
Hope ya'll don't mind a stray bullet head posting on your forum. Big Grin I've been lurking here for quite some time and you have a real neat little smoker. I would definitely consider adding it to my arsinal in the future.
Well I've been grilling for many years but just in the last year have become familiar with the wonderfull world of low and slow (real barbecue) I own a Weber Smoky Mountain, a large New Braunfels grill, and a brinkman smoke king converted with an afterburner. I use the brinkman for jerky mostly. I found the High Mountain Jerky company through this site. I have the vidio so I am familiar with Smokin Okie. Good job with the vidio smokin'.
Well I hope to contribute in future so keep up the good work and I will talk to ya later

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.